Toymods » Tech & Conversions » gz20 soarer exhaust opinion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon2.gif  gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Fri, 03 June 2005 07:03 Go to next message
Guys is it possible to run a exhaust system that’s 2.5 inch from turbo with a 3 inch cat or will that affect the flow or anything for the exhaust ive got the 1g-gte soarer and was going to do the exhaust in 3 inch but I got a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet and a hiflow 3 inch cat , so im stuck with two different sizes ,, what’s a good size for the exhaust for a gz20 soarer should I go a 3 inch system all the way and get a new muffler , or should I go 2.5 inch system with a 3 inch cat ,, or shopuld i go 3 inch all the way to the muffler and have the 2.5 inch muffler on it also im not that very satisfied with the muffler ive got (wanted a different tip style) and wouldn’t mind getting another one so if that’s any help to making a decision

in anutshell

1. 3 inch all the way till the muffler with a 2.5 inch muffler
2. 2.5 inch system all the way with 2.5 inch muffler and a 3 inch cat somewhere in the middle

3. full 3 inch system (sell the muffler and get new muffler with 3 inch inlet)

Opinions will be very helpful
Cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 07:09]

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Fri, 03 June 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would run either a full 3" system with a reducer at the muffler.

Or

3" to cat, then reducer from there to 2.5"
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Fri, 03 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if youre going to put a 3" exhaust on your GZ20 know this....

THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY AWESOME WITH ONE!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Sun, 05 June 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go 3" all the way....

Dan
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Sun, 05 June 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks fellas im still thinking about it , im considering the 2.5 inch reducer near the muffler cause by the time the exhaust gases have reached the muffler they should have cooled down a bit so as to not require much room as they did when they exited the turbo so im thinking iil get away with it but im only worried that the exhaust will still be restricted even with the 2.5 inch muffler with the otherwise full 3 inch

As I mentioned before I have fcuked up and have a 2.5 inch muffler, looks like I will have to sell the damn thing now and it’s a really good one too

Thanks for the input guys iil let u know what’s happening
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Sun, 05 June 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 18:55

if youre going to put a 3" exhaust on your GZ20 know this....

THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY AWESOME WITH ONE!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

How different to the stock one?

When I saw the big gap I was waiting for something negative regarding 3" exhausts on a 1G-GTE
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 07:44

Very, that stock exhaust is crappy and restrictive, and the 1G has a very distinct note.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 11:17

Very, that stock exhaust is crappy and restrictive, and the 1G has a very distinct note.

excellent.

we measured how loud my car was with a decibel meter with the standard exhaust...

84 decibels.

the stock mirage that was there was louder. hah

new 'zorst will be goooooood Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't get a cannon Wink
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

plese tellme they sound like a wrx i love the sound of the boxer engine , lolllllll
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 13:00

plese tellme they sound like a wrx i love the sound of the boxer engine , lolllllll

if it sounded like a boxer,

it wouldn't be distinctive! Wink

One engine i don't like the sound of too much is the SR20DET. N/A SR20 sounded alright in a mate's N14 pulsar...

But in a friend's silvia, it just had a real flat note... he did have a five inch canon though. bahaha

If I shouldn't get a canon, what can be recommended?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a cannon, sounded awesome on my soarer, sounds even better now Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noooooooooooooooooooooooo canons ruin the look of the soarer IMHO they look alright on the later model ones
get something else that suits the car Something that’s oval or somewhere close in shape and can be hidden under the car with only the tip sticking out , will look more tasteful plus car can be lowered without worrying about the exhaust scraping but then again its up to the owner what they want to do to the car
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psssh psssshhhh! Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Mon, 06 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:13

Haha, my car sounds awesome yeah, but it's too f'ing loud Laughing

As for the sound, it's akin to a banshee wail.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Tue, 07 June 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to ask if it's the sort of engine note that makes you turn around and look to see what sort of car it is

but if it sounds like a "banshee wail" then I guess I don't even need to ask that question! hehehe
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Tue, 07 June 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah... i'm kinda wondering what sort of exhaust i should stick behind my 1ggte once i get it in my celica... a mate has a 3" all the way through... but it sounds so dead... boored... and there's too much turbo noise... i was thinking 2.5" through... maybe just a better 3" system...
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Tue, 07 June 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 11:14

there's too much turbo noise... i was thinking 2.5" through..

when driving along on a cruise or whatever, if i give it some EVERYONE has said you basically can't even hear the engine in my car... all you hear are the turbos.

On the homebush to palm beach cruise when we were cruising to palm beach, i was going beside someone talking on their radio and they said to listen to their car when we went through a bit of tunnel.... when we went through the tunnel all i hear someone else say was "didnt hear it... all i could hear was the turbos whisting from that soarer" Laughing

now with the pod on my car, it's MUCH louder...

but oh well
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Tue, 07 June 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got a quote today one mob wanted a grand for the whole system including muffler but im supplying my own cat, stainless steel piping till the cat then mild steel mandrel 3 inch job

another quoted 600 for a cat back,lollllllllllllll didnt ask for the whole price when i heard wht they quoted for cat back

what sort of prices should i be expecting

also just found out that the steering rack needs to be replaced soon its got some play in it apparently Sad Sad Sad 750 for that bugger
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Tue, 07 June 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:03

got a quote today one mob wanted a grand for the whole system including muffler but im supplying my own cat, stainless steel piping till the cat then mild steel mandrel 3 inch job

I paid $1800 for my entire exhaust and intercooler piping, everything in stainless. Admitedly, my muffler aint the best, but it works and looks bling, I will change it eventually. It cost $140 to my door via these forums, cat was $182.50 to my door via Ebay, and he wanted $600 for the intercooler piping if that gives you any indication.

My system is a 3" dump, through 3" high-flow cat and then down to 2.5" for the rest of the way. I got a couple of quotes for same in mild-steel with a stainless muffler, around the $1500 mark.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Wed, 08 June 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 16:09

indian wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:03

I paid $1800 for my entire exhaust and intercooler piping, everything in stainless. Admitedly, my muffler aint the best, but it works and looks bling, I will change it eventually. It cost $140 to my door via these forums, cat was $182.50 to my door via Ebay, and he wanted $600 for the intercooler piping if that gives you any indication.

My system is a 3" dump, through 3" high-flow cat and then down to 2.5" for the rest of the way. I got a couple of quotes for same in mild-steel with a stainless muffler, around the $1500 mark.

Sorry to hijack the thread... justcallmefrank i'm about to get my big FMIC installed. What kinda cost would i be looking at to get all the piping done? Nobody will give me a quote until they look at it but i'm just after a ballpark figure - $500, 1 grand, 2 grand? I have no idea
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Wed, 08 June 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He charged me around the $5-600 mark in 2" stainless, and I pretty much told him exactly where I wanted it to run. I'm sure it might be done cheaper. Mine also contained a couple of 2-3" adapters which made it a bit more expensive.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Wed, 08 June 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome! thanks for letting me know as i had no idea

I think i'll be going 3" staino with mine. Notice any difference with the piping installed? (Did you do this because you changed coolers?)

Dan
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Wed, 08 June 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine was done as part of my engine conversion, so I've got no idea sorry Razz My goal was to have something which matched the factory IC piping, and didn't have huge volume for the turbos to fill.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: gz20 soarer exhaust opinion Wed, 08 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 21:38

MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:13

Haha, my car sounds awesome yeah, but it's too f'ing loud Laughing

As for the sound, it's akin to a banshee wail.

"but officer its a stock celica..." Laughing

I must admit I do miss the 1G turbo spool noise...so awesome...

but the sound of the 1JZ Stock BOV makes up for it IMO, sikest fluttaz bro Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dish conversions?
Next Topic:Short front shocks for TE37
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:52:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010629177093506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.