Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 06:29 Go to next message
i need an experienced mechanic that knows what hes doing in Perth to install my coilovers for me TOMORROW! (Its a 2hr job TOPS for someone experienced)

I'll pay $150 to get it done tomorrow properly!

Anyone?
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bolting in new struts, or to modify existing struts with the threaded sleeve n stuff?

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bolting in brand new ones

already assembled, ready to bolt straight in.

[EDIT: By saying brand new i mean already used coilovers from Yahoo Japan Auctions..]

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 07:02]

setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sif 2hr job.

(though it ALWAYS takes longer than planned)

why don't you do it?
n learn n stuff.
not hard!

Smiley =
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no torque wrench or spring tensioner in my storeroom

last time on my ma61 it took my mechanic 2 hours, im just assuming itd be around that long again for the ma70.. i asked him to do it today but he couldnt as he was in a hurry to start an urgent job on a commercial truck.. no time for my coilovers
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually bugger it..

i just realised i can get a really good forged torque wrench for around $130~ and after reading the TSRM this doesnt look so hard after all..

thanks anyway
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if thats a brand new wrench, i wouldnt get too excited. $130 wont buy you much.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats a good one worth? i would have guessed 250ish for a top of the range one.. 150ish for a middle of the range and 50 for a super crap auto special...

[EDIT: keep in mind ill probably use it around 4 or 5 times a year..]

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 11:33]

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtf do you need a torque wrench for?

just tighten the bolts and then double check.

im a mech noob, and even i can change the front struts in my 86 now in under an hour.
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
we'll do it for you for cheap Smile
send pm if likes Razz
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 19:55

wtf do you need a torque wrench for?

just tighten the bolts and then double check.

im a mech noob, and even i can change the front struts in my 86 now in under an hour.

just want to make sure its tight but not overthreaded.. i.e. doing it right..
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha installing suspension is a peice of cake i could do it with my eyes closed you dont need a torqe wrench just a decent socket set any nuts that are hard to remove just stand on the socket
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
torque wrench ? Whats a torque wrench Confused

J.K
Never used one on the struts before. Didn't think you had to.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Coilover Install Fri, 03 June 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 19:34

actually bugger it..

i just realised i can get a really good forged torque wrench for around $130~ and after reading the TSRM this doesnt look so hard after all..

thanks anyway

A good torque wrench will cost you around the $350 for 1/2 inch drive. Here are some good brands
(1) SNAP ON (VERY GOOD)
(2) WARREN AND BROWN (GOOD)
(3) NORBAR (VERY GOOD)
(4) CATERPILLAR (CAT) (VERY GOOD)
They go down hill from there for quality.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Coilover Install Sat, 04 June 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one which i have at work is a Stahlwille - it cost the boss 1500 bux!Now thats pricey
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Sun, 05 June 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i just bought a super crap gold one (as this is only one job im going to use it for for quite a while)

for a first time job.. it took all of saturday to do just the rear suspension. i daresay if i did it again there would be way less pissfarting around and itd be 3hrs for the rears i reckon. problem i had that took me all day was that i accidentally popped out the piston nut and the shock shot down and wedged itself against the axle and i COULDNT get it out for like half the day..

fronts are going in today. had a play last night. the fronts look FAR easier to do..

even with the rears in whoa what a difference in handling though. but bugger am i sore!

ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Coilover Install Sun, 05 June 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 14:49

The one which i have at work is a Stahlwille - it cost the boss 1500 bux!Now thats pricey

That stuff is more expensive than SnapOn i bought some spanners fark me i nearly died.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Sun, 05 June 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay i got the front left one in today.. that was easy.. me and me mate chucked it in in about an hour..

problem is when i went to get the right front one, all the bolts are threaded on top and i cant get the little shits off. theyve been torqued down WAAYYYY too hard. ideas for removal?

im about at the point of angle grinding the c**nts off..
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Sun, 05 June 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
file them down a little and get a socket you wont use again that is slightly smaller than the bolt and smash it on with a hammer and undo with a 3 foot breaker bar
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Mon, 06 June 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was about to do that... or angle grind them right down.. its not like i need the existing strut anyway..
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coilover Install Tue, 07 June 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 hour job Laughing It's sounding more like a 2 week job!

ma70 is a bit different to a ma61 - the double wishbone suspension makes the struts a real bastard to get in and out and if you cock the angle up and drop the strut it jams in an impossible position. I've done it before and whilst it wasn't the drama yours has been it was a bastard job for the rears. The front's were heaps easier once you get the top wishbone off.

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Coilover Install Wed, 08 June 2005 03:31 Go to previous message
yeah i was surprised how easy the front was.. it was the rear that was the prick to get in..

what i did was connected the bolt through the lower arm first, then slowly eased the jack down with my mate holding the centre bolt firm guiding the 3 bolts slowly into place as i lowered it like 5mm at a time.. worked quite nice that way..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New MX820
Next Topic:QLD DOT: "the shaker" - would you let your car go in it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:49:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076348781585693 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.