Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
lightening factory flywheel Sat, 04 June 2005 02:43 Go to next message
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems when they have lightened their factory flywheel. I have a GTI small port flywheel which is suposed to the same as a 20v silver and reasonably light when compared to other stock flywhells.
How much weight have people safely removed?

Thanks,

Ty
  Send a private message to this user    
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: lightening factory flywheel Sat, 04 June 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm some people recommend not lightening any flywheels due to the structure of the wheel being weakend and also the very accurate balancing that needs to be perfect or you will be called stumpy for the rest of your life. personally id like to lighten my flywheel but havent researched the idea enough to see if it is safe or not.

ps: stumpy is the name you get when your backyard lightened flywheel isnt balanced perfectly and cuts your legs off when it comes off at 8000rpm.
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: lightening factory flywheel Sat, 04 June 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my flewheel weight 3 kg. and constantly being revved to 8500-8800 rpm and o.k. Smile
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: lightening factory flywheel Sat, 04 June 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i had a look into it, seems the factory ones are cast and the strength is in the outer layers of the cast so if you remove any weight it weakens it. also depends on how much you remove and which sections you remove that affect the strength. it has been mentioned to get a lighter one made from a stronger material. it has to be perfectly balanced too or it may come apart.
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: lightening factory flywheel Sat, 04 June 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replys. It is ashame that the after market ones aren't as cheap as rotary ones.

Ty
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: lightening factory flywheel Sun, 05 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fidanza ones are around the $450 mark from memory!ring rocket industries near eastern creek raceway. a good clutch cost more!
mick
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: lightening factory flywheel Sun, 05 June 2005 05:13 Go to previous message
Nah fidanza are more. Even from rocket. John@ImportBitz has them listed for $525ea which is slightly less than i was quoted from Rocket. Apparently wait time is a pain though.

Toby@Meridian Motorsport has 3.4kg ARC flywheels for $660
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3s gte RWD stuff
Next Topic:AE92 with 18's SCRUBBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 05:31:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048530101776123 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.