Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 12:12 Go to next message
Hi guys,
im new to the forums and hopefully someone can help me out a bit.
i have recently bought a Turbo SW20 MR2, but it seems asthough it may be having some sort of troubles after around 5000 RPM.
it seems asthough it is losing all pulling power and feels like its struggling to make the car move any faster.

i dont hold a gear that long all that often, but i was just wondering if maybe there is some sort of boost-cut, or a fuel cut that might kick in at around 5000rpm on these engines. and if so what can i do about it?

thanks for any help...
  Send a private message to this user    
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: 3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is a fuel-cutout function related to ur turbo boost pressure. It's not related to RPM. Could be a number of issues but i'll leave it at that, there are plenry more qualified ppl aroung here to answer this one.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What dwango says is true, but it sounds more like ignition related to me. The ECU is pulling timing, or the spark is breaking down.

More info required:
What boost are you running?
Has the car been servied?
Is it knocking/pinging?
What fuel are you using?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd start with checking the ECU for error codes. If memory serves me right you need to find your diagnostics box in the engine bay somewhere, shorting pins E1 and T (probably worth searching the forums for exact details as i don't have them handy)

This will spit out any codes that the ECU stored such as a code 31 meaning your airflow meter isn't working.

Chances are there are some error codes stored and will report what the problem is.

Also check all your intake piping for any possible leaks
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if infact it It is a fuel-cutout function related to my turbo boost pressure how can i overcome this problem?

im running standard boost

it sounds asthough its pinging, but it isnt a consistant noise so i sometimes doubt it (although im not sure if pinging can be a tempremental thing) my mechanic says it might be something to do with the way the air-box was sitting for a while, the bottom of the box was not bolted to its mount and was sitting at an angle without the bottom side of the airbox, just a panel-filter and a rim of plastic to hold the filter there,it was like that to get more air, he changed it back but didnt do any resetting of anything. so now i have a panel filter and some piping from the vent to the airbox, no reservior.

this morning i noticed a fair bit of petrol spitting out the exhaust tips, smelt very strong aswell, this is after about 10 minutes of running. (i have a standard exhaust system with tips only)

i use BP Ultimate all the time

my car was serviced 2,000km ago, it was at 100,000, performed by Toyota themselves. Clutch, timing belt etc.

thank for the help guys
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3SGTE Question Fri, 03 June 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR-292 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 00:28

if infact it It is a fuel-cutout function related to my turbo boost pressure how can i overcome this problem?

im running standard boost

Have you checked your boost with a gauge other than the standard one? i.e. one with a PSI scale written on it?
If yes what is the max boost you get?

this morning i noticed a fair bit of petrol spitting out the exhaust tips, smelt very strong aswell, this is after about 10 minutes of running. (i have a standard exhaust system with tips only)

For petrol to be coming out of the exhaust the car would have to be running bloody rich!
Are you sure it wasn't just condensation?
If no then there almost definately is a problem with your AFM, Turbo pressure sensor or related wiring.

my car was serviced 2,000km ago, it was at 100,000, performed by Toyota themselves. Clutch, timing belt etc.

Could be a decent part of the problem.
Toyota dealers are the last people I would let touch my car... I learnt this the hard way!
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGTE Question Sat, 04 June 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i sort of found something new under the bonnet, its a man boost controler the t-tap type ones, i hadn't seen it till today, even though it is a bright blue metalic object...

ok so first thing i need to do is get a boost guage to check what PSI im running...

now i went out and had a quick look at the diagnosis point in my engine bay and it seems to have a whole heap of points with the letter 't' on them, i was wondering which one it would be that i have to short the 'e' point with, to reset the AFM, i tried searching for the answer on the forums but i came up with no results. also when i short them should the ignition be on or off?
do i need to short them for a certain time or is just a few seconds enough?

thanks for the help, sorry if i missed the thread with the answer to my question Confused

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 06:25]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3SGTE Question Sat, 04 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR-292 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 16:17

now i went out and had a quick look at the diagnosis point in my engine bay and it seems to have a whole heap of points with the letter 't' on them, i was wondering which one it would be that i have to short the 'e' point with, to reset the AFM, i tried searching for the answer on the forums but i came up with no results. also when i short them should the ignition be on or off?
do i need to short them for a certain time or is just a few seconds enough?

You need to short E1 and TE1 on the diagnostics terminal.
Paperclip bent to fit works for me.
MR-292
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3SGTE Question Sat, 04 June 2005 11:10 Go to previous message
it didnt seem to do much,
the idle got a bit smoother after the shorting of the points but the overall performance is about the same.

do i need to get a boost reading before i go any further with trying to figure out what the problem is? is there anything else that could help this situation without the reading?

once again i thank you for all you help, this forum is fantastic.
hopefully i can learn from you guys for a while yet Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:commodore service question
Next Topic:Holden Nova
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:34:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073068141937256 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.