Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barned01
Regular

September 2003
removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 13:56 Go to next message
please oh please can someone give me a VIABLE method on how to remove tree stup.
the pase of the trunk is probably 60cm diameter.
a mate and myself have been digging away at the roots but they are bloody hard to chop at due to their angle and depth.

i know the obvious solutions but very impractical ones so i am after something creative i haven't thought of.

ideas that are out due to certain laws/acccessibility issues/costs involved include

:drilling a hole in the bootom of the trunk and fillling it with an explosive device
:tying a chain around it and using the toyota 'bugger' hilux approach
:having one of those guys come in that puts something over the trunk that munches it all up (both price and accessibbility for this one)

if you know of any useful ways to remove this bugger of a trunk then i am all ears.
cheers
barnsey
  Send a private message to this user    
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burn it. If you keep coals smouldering over it long enough it will burn out the roots. This is probably a no-goer as well though, if you live in the suburbs.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always found a frehsly sharpened axe, freshly sharpened spade, and a big fuckoff crowbar are useful for this. takes a while, and 60cm is at the bigger end of DIY stump removal (before it's time to get a stump eater hired in)
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I car will not pull it out most deffinatly not a hilux.
Being to stupid little kid i was and knowing nothing about chainsaws i cut into the dirt and cut the roots off the stump with the chainsaw (ruining it) and pulled it out with a car.

I'd say burn it if you can tho.

A tip for next time pull it down with as much tree attached as you can for extra leverage
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackhammer in the center and split the mofo !

no chainsaw?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Get a stump remover dude in. He has a machine that munches it to pulp and he can dig down a bit and also remove the main roots. They're in the phone book or your local pages. I think they're about $120 depending on how big the tree stump and root system is. Takes about an hour or so. He can take the pulp or better still keep it and put it on your garden 'cos it's excellent mulch.

Either that or you've got a lot of hard yakka ahead of you with a 60cm stump. A lot of hard work!

seeyuzz
river
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh how bigs the stump I wouldn't burn the stump for this reason. We had a bucks party at my parents farm so we did the fire trick around the stump it was a huge but the only problem was when the roots start burning it goes under ground how far do roots travel? A fair way so you think the fire is out then a day or two even up to a week later the fire can resurface anywhere if that root comes to the surface it could be 10/20m away in long grass then you have a problem on your hands. Trust me we burnt down about 3000 Acres of national park up in the mountains behind Toowoomba in Ravensborn because of a tree stump burning under ground. I would grind the stump.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 30 May 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra_28 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 08:16

Ahh how bigs the stump I wouldn't burn the stump for this reason. We had a bucks party at my parents farm so we did the fire trick around the stump it was a huge but the only problem was when the roots start burning it goes under ground how far do roots travel? A fair way so you think the fire is out then a day or two even up to a week later the fire can resurface anywhere if that root comes to the surface it could be 10/20m away in long grass then you have a problem on your hands. Trust me we burnt down about 3000 Acres of national park up in the mountains behind Toowoomba in Ravensborn because of a tree stump burning under ground. I would grind the stump.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
thats a classic *looks for nearest tree stump* Razz
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We removed ours by doing two things. Digging a hole around it until the roots were exposed and then using a snatch strap hooked up to our land cruiser. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt_84 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 23:59

Burn it. If you keep coals smouldering over it long enough it will burn out the roots. This is probably a no-goer as well though, if you live in the suburbs.

a guy down the road did this, the thing frinking smouldered for a week and still didn't get rid of it.
A past next door neighbour had a mate with a semi, so the attcahed metal link chain to the stump and the side of the truck as well as straps and then slowly edged the truck away result, broke the metal chain which went flyin and hit the side of the trailer no damage done but quite dangerous didn't work. You can get them ground down to gorund level and let it rot but costs a bit.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how persistant are you? just use a whipper snipper.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 02:49

jackhammer in the center and split the mofo !

no chainsaw?

Barnes. Show then the attempted spitting!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 13:23

how persistant are you? just use a whipper snipper.

don't laugh my dad used a drill to cut one of our gums trees down cos he didn't wanna climb a ladder with the chain saw, a long day of drilling and the tree came down
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 13:27

don't laugh

i laughed, now what happens?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will die a sad and horrible death Shocked was a figure of speech smartarse
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 13:37

Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 13:27

don't laugh

i laughed, now what happens?

*refrains from posting something p00 related*

aha, you must be regretting raising your p00 fetish, eh rob? Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 13:04

We removed ours by doing two things. Digging a hole around it until the roots were exposed and then using a snatch strap hooked up to our land cruiser. Very Happy

and it was lots of fun! Smile take THAT stump Very Happy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Explosives are the only option.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
explosives are the only soultion to most problems.

including removing pesky clothing bins Confused
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slightly unsafe method:
-cut stump to ground level or below
-using same chainsaw gouge out the guts of stump as far as you can reach
-using same chain saw and a crowbar, cut/force a few vertical slots from the newly-formed hole to the outside of the stump
-fill core with soi, quick-to-rot softwood shavings (e.g. pine) and water
-cover with compost and soil and lots of easily-rotten mulch

aim of this is to get the stump to rot as quickly as possible - the softwood simply helps attract fungi that like to eat wood.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have access to a chainsaw so can cut more at it but i didn't think they would like the dirt that much around the base.
My mate and i spent the better part of a day trying to dig away at it but it is just so impossible to get to the dirt reliably due to the roots in the way all the time.
Will chainsaw it down as far as we can and try a few other methods mentioned.
chuckster how long would the rotting process take.
and what is SOI
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 21:15

there's the normal way
then there's the MAX POWER way.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 23:45

chuckster how long would the rotting process take.
and what is SOI

time: if it was a palm - a year or two at best, if it was a big-old ironbark or box gum... could take bloody years..

SOI = soil without the l Razz
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Tue, 31 May 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just rent a big chainsaw and shove it thru the dirt Wink
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: removing tree stumps Wed, 01 June 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do what my grandfather did - wrap some cordite around the trunk, BOOM! No more stump Wink

*edit...note to self - get more sleep ;)*

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 07:56]

Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: removing tree stumps Wed, 01 June 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What happened to your grandfathers truck??? Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Sun, 05 June 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 23:50

HyDrA wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 21:15

there's the normal way
then there's the MAX POWER way.

There is the right way
And the wrong way
And the MAX POWER Way
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Sun, 05 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isn't the max power way the same as the wrong way. Yes but ....
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Sun, 05 June 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faster
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: removing tree stumps Sun, 05 June 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well update is with a chainsaw we managed to get it to about
10cm above ground level.
we have cut a few channells in it to assist rotting the stump out, but it is still above ground level.
the wood is incredibly hard (no pun intended) though and the chainsaw pretty much gave up by the end.
pics to come of the progress, but now to try and get it below the ground level.
the only thing i can think of is to just chip away at the surface with an axe or log splitter but i don't think i am going to get far. Sad
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: removing tree stumps Sun, 05 June 2005 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont remove it, go inside take a door off the hinges, lay it on top of the stump, tek screw it to the stump, grab some mates, a tv, extension lead, beer, food, chairs sit back watch the footy, with the food and tv on the new table, simple
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 06 June 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get heaps of mates to kick it as hard as they can with no shoes on.

*may not get stump out
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: removing tree stumps Mon, 06 June 2005 06:28 Go to previous message
teh gelignite can nevar l00se
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my girl broke up wid me " thread now changed 2" worst brake ups
Next Topic:Hit teh lights......Its boner time.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:22:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072970390319824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.