Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
snoopen
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Knocking 2A-C Engine Mon, 06 June 2005 05:22 Go to next message
Hey,

Got a strange situation where my 'rolla is only knocking when hot. Start up fine and doesnt knock no matter how much gas I give her but after she's warmed I have to be real careful on the gas or she knocks. I only bought this car about a month ago and have been doing work on the body since so not much driving around. Yesterday I adjusted the timing as per specifications (only needed a few degrees advence). Didn't change much at all though.

Someone mentioned it could be the tapits. So next weekend I might be pulling the rocker cover off and adjusting that.

One other thing is it seems to take a long time to warm up and come off the choke, so it sits ideling fast longer than my other 'rolla.

Anything else I should check for or try?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
snoopen
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Knocking 2A-C Engine Thu, 09 June 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, went for a drive yesterday and it seems the car only pings when the rps are low and I try and give it lots of gas. So shit I dont know whats wrong with the thing. Going to try replacing the EGR valve soon, as cleaning out the EGR Modulator filter seemed to help a little.

Somone mentioned it could be carbon deposits on the piston heads heating up and causing pre-ignition. They suggested dropping a very small amount of water through the carbi to clean the carbon. I'm hesitant to try that so I'm going to use Nulon Octane Boost and Clean first. See if that helps any.

Anyone know where I can find a good vacum map from for this worthless engine?

Or perhaps just a whole new engine for cheep Very Happy
bmews
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Knocking 2A-C Engine Thu, 09 June 2005 01:38 Go to previous message
I had a similar problem with a 4A engine. I used the Nulon Total System clean and it fixed it for a while but then it came back. I suspect the old engine has a lot of carbon build up.

I now run it on Optimax or Ultimate, that settled it dowm.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil temp gauge sender - 4ag(z)e
Next Topic:Rear disc brake calipers (with handbrake actuation)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:00:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047900676727295 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.