Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Sun, 05 June 2005 19:47 Go to next message
Please excuse the newbie question;

How do I identify the 0.1R and 0.01R resistors in the HEI kit? There are about 7 candidates for the task and each bear markings which don't seem to drectly indicate their impedances.

Quite confused and frustrated (at my own ignorance, I'm sure there's a simple answer).

My multimeter lacks the sensitifity to measure these it seems.
  Send a private message to this user    
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Sun, 05 June 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

in my kit there is no 0.01 ohm reisitor, there are two 0.1 ohms though. These are big white rectangular ones (5 watt). I thought they had the value written on them?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Sun, 05 June 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few ceramic resistors, but not for 0.1R. There is a 0.01R in my kit. My build notes described a 'revised' edition, maybe my kit is different to yours (updated edition).

The resistors in question are rectangular plastic looking things. I've got like 7 of them and they're of three or so different types, I need to know how to tell which is which.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Sun, 05 June 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wrote a long story about colour bands etc, then the formatting of the colour tables got screwed up when i posted my reply, so here is the short answer......

Ignore the last colour, 'cos its just a tolerance value stating the accuracy of the resistor package.

for a four colour resistor, 0.1 ohm, the first three colours will be black, brown, gold. (01 x 0.1 =0.1)
for 0.01 ohm, they will be black brown silver. (01 x 0.01 = 0.01)

For a five colour, they will have an extra black in front.
eg. black black brown gold (001 x 0.1 = 0.1)
black black brown silver (001 x 0.01 = 0.01)

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2005 23:27]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Sun, 05 June 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to dick smith and buy one of those electronics kit books. they have all this kinda stuff in them.
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK there should be no 0.01 ohm resistors in there, only 0.1 ohm resistors.

They are the big white ceramic ones. They will be a 5 watt rating and as such they shold have 5W written on them, a 10watt resistor will have 10W on it.

For the resistor value it will also be written on there.
0.1 ohms will be 0R1 which means 0.1 ohms.
A 4.7 ohm resistor would be written as 4R7, and a 47 ohm resistor will be 47R.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... or use a multimeter to accurately measure the resistance/capacitance of various parts. Very Happy
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:39

... or use a multimeter to accurately measure the resistance/capacitance of various parts. Very Happy

A multimeter wont measure 0.1ohms properly.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys for your help so far.

September_Squall wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 05:47

thechuckster wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 13:09

I did try, didn't really succeed.

As for the suggestion that there is no 0.01R resistor, my build notes clearly indicate one 0.01R resistor. It's a revision of the original design, with the 0.01R resistor replacing one 0.1R resistor in the original design. The design change is marked on the diagram and also described in the errata to the build notes.

I didn't get any ceramic resistors for 0.1R or 0.01R, only for the larger impedences. In any case, there's no room in the PC board for those huge things. The photos of the finished product indicate these little rectangular plastic cap things on the board in the indicated locations, but the markings on them are unclear and don't seem to clearly correlate to impedances. I've got 7 of them and need like 3 and 1.

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 14:04

thechuckster wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 12:39

A multimeter wont measure 0.1ohms properly.

Depends how good your meter is. Even top of the range meters have tolerances...so i guess you wont accuratley measure something that small, unless perhaps you use a megohm-meter(megger). Then again, you might be able to. I cant remember the accuracy of the sparkie i work withs meter, something like accurate to 0.1%

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2005 05:59]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 14:27

As for the suggestion that there is no 0.01R resistor, my build notes clearly indicate one 0.01R resistor. It's a revision of the original design, with the 0.01R resistor replacing one 0.1R resistor in the original design. The design change is marked on the diagram and also described in the errata to the build notes.

I didn't get any ceramic resistors for 0.1R or 0.01R, only for the larger impedences. In any case, there's no room in the PC board for those huge things. The photos of the finished product indicate these little rectangular plastic cap things on the board in the indicated locations, but the markings on them are unclear and don't seem to clearly correlate to impedances. I've got 7 of them and need like 3 and 1.

There is no such thing as a 0.01ohm resistor for this use (ie, Carbon or Ceramic wire-wound).
If it does need a 0.01ohm resistor, it will be a piece of wire at a certain length and thickness and this should be noted in the instructions.

Are you sure youve read the whole article on the kit and how to build it?
They normally do mention what resistors need to be 1/2W, 1W, 5W, etc.
1/2W and 1W are metal or carbon.
>5W will be Ceramic wire-wound (the big white boxy resistors).

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2005 06:47]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just remebered i have a copy of the Silicon Chip article.

Which resistors in the Schematic are the ones you are having trouble with?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 15:27

Depends how good your meter is. Even top of the range meters have tolerances...so i guess you wont accuratley measure something that small, unless perhaps you use a megohm-meter(megger). Then again, you might be able to. I cant remember the accuracy of the sparkie i work withs meter, something like accurate to 0.1%

Erm, a mega ohm meter is for read >1M ohms Smile
They use high voltages.

The problem is your multimeter leads will have a resistance of >0.1ohm by themselves, hence why its hard to read under 1ohm accurately.

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 14:57

Thanks guys for your help so far.

September_Squall wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 05:47

thechuckster wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 13:09

I did try, didn't really succeed.

sorry. my bad.

i saw the 0.01 and thought you might be referring to a capicitor (e.g. 0.01uf) not a resistor as 0.01 ohm with 12V DC would be pretty close to a dead short.

jaycar's primer sheets might help others:
<http://www1.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/rescode. pdf>

Dick smith also have product identification sheets, see www.dse.com.au and follow the "Support & Data" link (left side of page).
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, apologies are due for anyone who wasted their time reading this. More careful reference to the wiring diagram and build notes in conjunction with the PCB layout schematic has highlighted my (as anticipated) stupid mistake.

Cheers,
Michael
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Mon, 06 June 2005 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When will people learn.. always read the docs Laughing

Good luck.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2005 16:31]

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Building Jaycar HEI ~ Component identification? Tue, 07 June 2005 12:45 Go to previous message
RTFM! lol
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:testing springs
Next Topic:removing overspray on headlights and parker and paint (got some crappy paint on the good paint)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:54:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061290264129639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.