Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 06:26 Go to next message
Hey just wondering what sponsors can do for you. Do you have to be a full fledged, mad, sick mate, racer? Or can you get stuff cheap if you let them put a stickers on your car?

And do you just go round and ask people if they are interested or what?
  Send a private message to this user    
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, they arent exactly gonna sponsor you if you'll make em loook bad. u gotta be okay, and enter a decent amount of races for them to acknowledge you. then u gotta prove urself.
then when/if they do except u, u gotta meet a minimum requirement of races so to say. like if htey say u gotta do at least 4 races this season, u have to do those four. they may even ask u to enter specific races n stuff...

this is wat i know, but it could always be differnt.
it really depends wat sorta sponsor ur goin for, and then from there its at their discretion.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent you ever played need for speed underground 2!?!?!?

man, get with the times Razz

Eldar.O.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sponsors gave me a $1100 clutch for $250 and cooler piping and exhaust, and nitrous kit and fuel ump for free...

basically you have to prove you can promote thier company and kiss a little ass, its not hard, but you have to be in some form of motorsport, not many people will sponsor you for posing
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
making a video is an alright idea, maybe show them some evidence that you can consistantly finsh in the top of the field.
a guy i know use to rally RX3's years ago, he made an in-car video of them going nuts through the bush and sent it to a few places, got a few sponsors.
also depends on what events your doing and what you want from the sponsors. i mean if its something like drifting you might be able to get a shop to give you their second hand tyres or a good discount on new tyres for some signage.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Mon, 06 June 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr 1JZ's competition was the reason for this post. i don't race or anything (yet maybe) but i was just curious. Thanks. So i just do a "full sick" burnout video and send it around lol.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no experience whatsoever with this (so im probably way off the mark) but i understood it to be that if you owned a fairly common car that was "known" (whether that be because you cruise around all the time, or you race or whatever) then sponsors are far more likely to be interested in giving you nice prices etc.

the reason for the common car is that there is no point advertising on some car that nobody else has, because theres no point.

ie if you owned a full sik 33 line wif da massif wings and all da boom boom and da bitches know who you is, den sponsors may sponsor you because all da uver bruvas are gunna want da shit dat you haf too.

that was my understanding of it Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no such thing as a free lunch - sponsorship means you represent the business and its name.

it's advertising - they give you money in return for something- sort of like prostitution 'cause you're putting out for cash.

seriously now, you promote that business because it thinks it can get value out of the name appearing on your car.

That value could be direct sales resulting from brand-name recognition or just the association with values that the driver and car represents. The very act of sponsorship can also been seen as returning something to the community or a particular interest group.

To give example, at the ARC/QRC event at imbil, cars were cleaned at each service break (4 per day of about 30 min each) so when they went out onto the track, sponsors badging was clearly visible and the sponsors names could be associated with a car that looked clean, neat and competitive. The factory teams do this likewise so any tv appearance portrays the car in a positive light and any branding is clearly visible.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know anybody who owns a busines ?
That will help you.
I just asked a few ppl who knew me and knew i could drive they said they would hook me up with stickers and free labour plus seling me stuff under cost price.

But it will cost you alot of money to leanr to race and get your cams licence and keep your car going strong and LOOKING GOOD .

It wasn't worth it for me asi didn't have the capital to begin with.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 23:49

The factory teams do this likewise so any tv appearance portrays the car in a positive light and any branding is clearly visible.

isnt this also why after an f1 car crashes they try to cover the car over when its towed back to the pits on a truck.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your car becomes a PIMP
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 20:41

Mr 1JZ's competition was the reason for this post. i don't race or anything (yet maybe) but i was just curious. Thanks. So i just do a "full sick" burnout video and send it around lol.

umm its a little more difficult than that...

you have to be commited to promoting the sponsors product, kiss a little ass, and of course give them good feedback about thier product, for instance I went and spoke to the lads at extreme clutch raving about thier product, rightly so tho, I absolutely love the clutch Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Whats the go with sponsors Tue, 07 June 2005 15:05 Go to previous message
I think the thing is that people forget that sponsors aren't just giving you stuff because you are a charity case. It's marketing - they are looking for good value for their marketing dollar. You have to do plenty of work yourself to get sponsors on board and to keep them happy, especially if you are looking for major sponsorship.

You will undoubtedly have to be involved in some kind of motoring activity with high exposure, drags, racing, show cars etc. It's reasonably rare that a workshop will sponsor a street car on any level - aside from maybe a slight reduction in labour costs.

Basically - you have to figure out a way to 'advertise' their product, and then try to pitch your services to them (marketing or otherwise). Whether it be by signage on a car, passing out flyers about your car and your sponsors at events, helping organise promotions at events for them (pit lane display, or a stand at the event etc), by getting them on TV, the radio etc - using their corporate name for your team and making sure it's said every twenty seconds on TV Very Happy having promo days for their corporate suits etc.

If you want big sponsorship, you have to approach it like a marketing exercise, get as much info as you can on the motorsport that you are in - about crowd attendance, TV/radio coverage, demographic of the spectators etc, how much of their money you need and what it buys them blah de blah.

If you want small sponsorship - just ask and they'll probably do most of the numbers etc for you and what you get is more at their discretion than yours. It does help if you personally know people in the business or the business owners.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What wheels are these?
Next Topic:86 windscreen
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:21:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047907829284668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.