Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what the hell is goin on with my AE82?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Mon, 06 June 2005 11:46 Go to next message
Ok, whenever im travelling in gear and lift off the accelerator and go to re-apply the accelerator, even extremely gently, there is a significant jerk felt through the car. I suspect a rooted engine or gearbox mount. Could it be anything else? How do i tell if an engine/gearbox mount is rooted?
  Send a private message to this user    
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
icon4.gif  Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Mon, 06 June 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the exact same thing in my ae82(4age).
would like to know if its the mounts.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Tue, 07 June 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that happen to my gti

one of the bolt's that holds the engine snaped
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Tue, 07 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front gearbox mount broke in my AE82, but it didn't jolt the whole car, it just made a clunk sound whenever you got off the accelerator.
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Tue, 07 June 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, got curious this afternoon and jacked up my car and checked out all the mounts. I saw that the back one had completely perished, and the front one was also on its way out as well. Also found an oil leak coming from where the engine bolts to the gearbox.
driftymcgee
Regular

April 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had this problem also, and as usual a mount had sheered 2 bolts due to another mount perishing, quite undrivable torque steer at 110km/h Confused
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urban_myth wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 16:36

well, got curious this afternoon and jacked up my car and checked out all the mounts. I saw that the back one had completely perished, and the front one was also on its way out as well. Also found an oil leak coming from where the engine bolts to the gearbox.

hrrrm sounds like a rear main seal its worth replacing the front main rear main and the dizzy seals

you can fill the engine mounts with sikaflex if u are a bit of a cheapskate as engine mounts are a bit $$$ from memory about $180 buks for an aw11 mr2 one....

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 02:37]

sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 09:16

i have the exact same thing in my ae82(4age).
would like to know if its the mounts.

to check the mounts pop the hood and see if you can move the engine - by this i mean grab the inlet manifold and jerk it. if u hear loose clunking stuff then its prob mounts.
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went to repco this arvo and they didnt have a listing for the mount I wanted. He suggested to go to toyota to get a genuine one. I went there and asked for a price on the front one and the back one and he said $230. Is that a bit steep? I wouldnt have thought they would be that pricey...

I reckon im just gonna go scab one from some wreckers yard that looks in decent condition...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urban_myth wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 17:21

Went to repco this arvo and they didnt have a listing for the mount I wanted. He suggested to go to toyota to get a genuine one. I went there and asked for a price on the front one and the back one and he said $230. Is that a bit steep? I wouldnt have thought they would be that pricey...

I reckon im just gonna go scab one from some wreckers yard that looks in decent condition...

yes that sounds about right for toyota mounts y dont you just fill the mounts with sicaflex silicon cost ya 15 buks from the hardware store... then again if the mounts are really gone then maybe new ones arent such a bad idea
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the back engine mount is completely gone, had another look and if i filled it with this sicaflex stuff it would be all that is holding it in. Gonna go to a few more shops tomorrow, surely someones gotta have a listing for it
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Wed, 08 June 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah then sicaflex wont help
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Sat, 11 June 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put in new engine mount today, paid $70 for it, and i must say it was $70 well spent. Much less vibrations inside the car and the jerking is gone. The old one i pulled out was so stuffed that i could rip it apart easily with my bare hands.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Sat, 11 June 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats quite scary im assuming its not a genuine toyota part if you bought it new?? so where did you end up getting it??
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Sat, 11 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got it ordered in at a parts shop just up the street from me called Gamac spares (its been there for 30 years my parents say, just never noticed), anyway, he got out his stack of books and found several aftermarket manufacturers which made the mount. Ended up with a mount from a company called transgold.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: what the hell is goin on with my AE82? Sat, 11 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous message
hrrm i might get some new mounts and sikaflex em
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S13/180sx suspension into AE86
Next Topic:4 spot ta22 brake upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:54:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052039623260498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.