Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
18-RG -> RT104 ***update*** Wed, 15 December 2004 11:50 Go to next message
Yes I know it's been done, yes I know it's easy, this is why I'm doing it Very Happy

The engine I have in question is an 18-RGEU with no EFI gear, for it I have: twin mikuni/solex 40mm carbs (no fuel return that I can see) w/manifold and pressure regulator; fuel pump (return blocked) + fuel pressure regulator, electronic dizzy (just the dizzy), alternator, clutch + flywheel, extractors.

I'm going to buy a gasket set and get a mechanic to chuck them all on (bar the exhaust) before I put it in the car even though the head gasket is fine, I may as well replace it too.

Right. Any ideas on what else I'm going to need, especially for the ignition.

Cheers guys
Will

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 02:39]

Send a private message to this user    
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Thu, 16 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id probably suggest not using the fuel pump and regulater and just get a standard mechanical pump and use the return..
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Thu, 16 December 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I can see there isn't a return on the carbs, and the pump is std mechanical, I've got hte FPR because the carbs like a nice 2.5psi pressure I hear
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Fri, 17 December 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your fuel return line will be on your mechanical fuel pump....It will have in and out for fuel and the line going to the carbs
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Fri, 17 December 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So there is only one line going ot the carbs? The return line on the pump is blocked off, and AFAIK there is no return on my 18-R's one either
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i actually recal right there is a possibilty that the rt104 doesnt have a return line hence the reason yours is blocked off
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 21:03

if i actually recal right there is a possibilty that the rt104 doesnt have a return line hence the reason yours is blocked off

You do.
RT104's dont have return lines.
Only two lines from the fuel tank to the engine bay... fuel and vapor (charcoal canistor).

When i put my 21R in, i used the vapor line as a return.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arrrgh!

My car has no return line AFAIK. The carbs do not seem to have a return either (are they meant to?) the fuel pump supplied with the 18RG-EU has its return blocked off, seemingly to match thses carbs.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I'm not sure of at the moment (silly EFI owner here) is where the return is supposed to come from, the carbs or the pump, because the carbs seem to only have "in"
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on the setup... there is no plain rule.

For example, RT104's for 18Rs dont have a return, some later 18R-C's in Celicas and the 20R/21R in Celicas do have a return.

It all depends on what type of fuel pump you use, and what pressure the carbs want.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Sun, 19 December 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Well I've got a fuel pressure regulator to keep the pressure at a level that the carbs like (apparantly they like a constant 2psi or something low like that)
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you use a regulator, you will need a return line.

Does anyone know if a return to the tank is really needed... or will a return to a "T" before the pump do??
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the carbs dont have a return line....the return comes from the pumps.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u dont need a return line, i have the std pump, std carbs and its fine, dont bother with a FPR, carbs take upto 9 psi, more the better {up till there anyway}.

as u can see i have an 18RG in my RT104, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2" exhaust... Interesting, what kinda restrictions do you have in there, I was told to go for 2.25" for my 18RG, it's on there now too, one resonator, one straight thru, bassy and illegally loud (even for NZ!)
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trust me, mine aint quiet, i can be heard from 500m+ away when under full power, i also have tuned length extractors so that helps flow too
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 2 things i would like to say.

- 18rgeu's dont have a cam lobe for a mechanical fuel pump(well at least one model doesnt)

- ive got a 2 1/2 inch zorst on my rt104 with a high flow muffler and its not exactly loud but more so painful, sittin on 100 on the high way with the windows down is like a 15 inch sub on either side of ur head pounding with a drone. but still sounds sweet wen u race ppl. hehehe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok 2 things for you

the fuel pumps run off the oil pump drive shaft in the block and all 18r engines have it
2 1/2 exhaust is way to big for your engine and if you reduce it to 2 inch your car will go alot better and have more back pressure
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea, my fuel pump is just blocked off, I'll swap that easy as tho. 2.25" okay? If it does need quietening (I do a fair ammount of long distance driving) what extra muffler/reso would you guys suggest to keep the tone but drop the volume a little.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Mon, 20 December 2004 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ben if thats right why doesnt a mechanical pump work on mine??

and i asked my zorst is 4-2-1 extractors into a 2 1/4 to a lil hot dog then it goes 2 1/2 to the high flow with a 2 1/2 dump. it doesnt seam to do too bad against v6s so i think il keep it. i have only had one v6 that i cant beat, and thats my friends car so yer(he only beat me cause he knows how i drive).

laterdays
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Tue, 21 December 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably doesnt work the pump because either your pump was stuffed or the lobe on the drive shaft is broken and if thats the case id be chucking the engine out right now. All 18r blocks have the same bottum ends.
also you said you have a 2 1/2 inch exhaust not a 2 1/4 hence the quote. 2 1/4 is probably alright but still overkill for these engines.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Tue, 21 December 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is possible that the lobe is broken off but wen i shine a torch in and look there is just nuthin there so idk

i was only corecting my previous post
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Tue, 21 December 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get yourself a carb-suitable electric fuel pump and mount it near the tank. Even one off an old Mazda will do the job. Carbs generally like 4-5psi pressure.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Tue, 21 December 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Any Idea what sort of cars I'd find them on? I might go to a paddock parts place to look
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Fri, 03 June 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
***Project update***

I've just sent the motor in for a rebuild. Honed, rings, bearings, port match+polish, 4 angle valve grind, shaving the head and the cams ground. The carbs have also been fully rebuilt. All going to plan I'm gonna do the swap late this month, and try have it running by mid July.
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Fri, 03 June 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put some photos up in members rides I'm a fan of the early RT104.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 ***update*** Mon, 06 June 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here ya go man
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18-RG -> RT104 (I hear yawns...) Tue, 07 June 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 21:47

ok 2 things for you

the fuel pumps run off the oil pump drive shaft in the block and all 18r engines have it
2 1/2 exhaust is way to big for your engine and if you reduce it to 2 inch your car will go alot better and have more back pressure

quick stick a cork in your tail pipe its like the VTEC kicking in YO!!!

the good ol' "need back pressure" myth still being thrown around, exhaust shops love this bullshit lets them run a smaller pipe for the same price!

willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 18-RG -> RT104 ***update*** Tue, 07 June 2005 00:25 Go to previous message
Yea that's what I though, so I ran 2.25" and gave myself an excuse to get some cam/headwor done Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ag side draft intake manifold ?
Next Topic:Stubborn Inner tie rod ends
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 14:33:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010048866271973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.