Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jeffro
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Head Studs For 3TGTE Tue, 07 June 2005 12:06 Go to next message
Was after some info on head studs for my 3tgte, has any one fitted them, did they fit under the standard rocker cover with no modifications and where did u get them from. If not what do people do when rebuilding these engines, use the original bolts or replace them with new ones. Any info would be great. thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Tue, 07 June 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your talking about the bolts that bolt the head to the block right? well if so you can use the ones that were in there but DEFINATELY clean all the garbage off the threads on them ie gunk build up. if they look alright then they prob are. on the other hand since your talking about something that takes a bit of time to pull off and put back together its prob a better idea to buy new ones as the wont have been exposed to heat and will have clean threads. that way when the head bolts are torqued back up to whatever spec they will actually be correct (as excess gunk or damaged thread will make the bolt harder to turn and give u a wrong torque wrench reading. seriously you would be better to just buy new ones. i dont think theyre too expensive anyways. about $6 each. also if the bolts are torque to yield then you CANNOT re-use them. they are a one off usage bolt and stretch when you tighten them up. if this is the case then you dont have a choice.

hope that helps. leigh
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Tue, 07 June 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to Jason (yellorolla) he supplied my 3tgte headstuds.

Cheers
Joel
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alternatively = contact ARP for listing - im pretty sure they make a stud to suit a 3sge so in essence should have studs for 3sgte

i would recommend at least getting new standard ones or having ur machinist test the strength of your current ones before putting them back in your motor, especially if more performance work has been done which could potentially increase combustion chambers pressures (ie more boost, more compression, port work, bigger ignition system), as you dont want 'lifting' to occur, even though the pentroof combustion chambers are pretty efficient at dissipating heat from the burn, it is safer to upgrade these things if u can afford to.

cheers
Mick

forgot to note that reason for changing is that under extreme pressures or time, the metal will stretch even slightly which will put clearances out - and in a hi perf environment, you dont want clearances out

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 02:18]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah they make them for 3Sgte, but not 3Tgte.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He is talking about the 3TGTE not the 3S.
The 3T, 22R and 18R headstuds are similar I believe.
But definately PM YelloRolla (sp?).
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops sorry Embarassed

i thought that said 3sgte - my bad -

sorry ppl
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah never know arp might have something to suit..

But yellorolla's ones he supplied did the job well. Running 20psi in my 3tgte and no headgasket problems with these studs.

Cheers
Joel
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cool

unless the head has been skimmed or a thicker headgasket has been used then i usually wouldnt recommend having to upgrade from standard NEW head studs for any turbo motor from factory - especially toyota strength and reliability Smile only time i'd consider a head stud pulling kit or the like would be for a motor that was n/a from oem and is now being turboed or very very high compression ratio (ie. 12.5:1 +)

otherwise - trust toyota and buy NEW standard ones i say - unless anyone else has anything to add with experience
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id like to hear what happens with this.. if they are difficult to source maybe we could get a group buy happening for all those who are going to/or currently are re-building a 3T-GTE?

It may be only 2-3 sets but it saves all of us going through this process of research individually.. if theres anyone else out there in this position?(im sure there would be other 3T owners interested..)

anyway, if u could PM me with some details Jeffro if u find anything out, that would be awesome.

Anyone know if Genuine TOYOTA items are still around for the 3T-GTE? ive heard parts are getting hard to find/pricey.. Confused

Good luck.
ToyT18
Regular

July 2004
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 08 June 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be in on the group buy for the head studs for sure
jeffro
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Head Studs For 3TGTE Wed, 15 June 2005 12:06 Go to previous message
Thanks heaps for all your helpfull info. Have PM yellorolla for more info and will let you all know thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before)
Next Topic:damn heavy steering
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 03:45:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006072998046875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.