Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Help I think my motor is screwed.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Help I think my motor is screwed. Tue, 07 June 2005 08:54 Go to next message
I just finished typing a huge post and somehow lost it all. so really i could be bothered typing it all again sorry maybe later if people want details.

First of all i didn't break it. because i recently started a thread asking how to break a motor is totally coincidental and i haven't done anything damaging.

Basically my motor is making a noise like two metal plates rubbing together and one has a bump on it that hits something. So it is sort of a thunking noise. i have checked levels and everything is full (oil,coolant ect) and the noise is not frequent enough to be on every revolution.

I seems to be coming from my dizzy as there is only the dizzy and exhaust manifold on that side of the motor.

Any thoughts?

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 06:41]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Tue, 07 June 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod Knock.

Does it get faster with revs increasing?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Tue, 07 June 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know, i am only a preliminary tests. would that be something that doesn't happen ever revolution.

when it started i got out and check under the bonnet. it was happening about once every 2 seconds. I then drove home from work (about 70km) and now it is more frequent.

So rod knock is something not easily fixed?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Tue, 07 June 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, rod knock is remove and replace.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So assuming it is rod knock. what will happen if i keep driving it. i work 70kms away and i need it for 2 more weeks, then it can do what it likes.

As it seems to be getting worse and more frequent
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is a rod knock, the motor will either eventually seize, or throw a rod out the side of the block.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers cruzsida Thanks for your help. i will have to go see a mechanic or something. or if you know what you on about pm me you mobile and a time i can call and i will let you have a listen. calls cost the same to perth right? Also state it in perth time as your about 2 hours behind me in brisbane
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take it to a mechanic dude.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could go on for ages with rod knock, then again you could put a conrod thru the block. But i reckon if you keep the oil up don't drive it to hard you could go on for months maybe even years with abit of rod knock.

Personally i don't think it's rod knock from your description.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats your thoughts then buddy?

CrUZsida was the only one that answered so i thought we will run with it. But i am open to other suggestions. i should do a sound recording but i have no where to post it.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you had a old-skool chain-driven cam it might be a fuked timing chain - but your pic suggests a 1G or better so there's no chain to rattle around.

take to mechanic and get them to listen to it. Being at Pine Rivers, there's heaps of mechanics around that part of the world.

You'll have to host the sound file somewhere and post a link to it - you can't upload attchments into these posts.

if you have internet access you most likely have some kind of web space - chuck the file there.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be a cam bearing, or a foreign object that got in under your cam covers. I mentioned the cams becuase they rotate half of every crank turn.

But it could be absolutly anything with what info you've provided. The soundclip sounds like a good idea, you can send it to me and i can host it. And give you my opinion.

urantiacjd@iinet.net.au

what motor is it?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sorry the description is dodgy.

Just went to the mechanic in my lunch break (i work in Ipswich)

He said it is either the water pump has blown its bearing or the cam belt is in trouble.

He grabbed the fan and flapped it around and said it is about to fall off and will probably go through my radiator. The only thing keeping it on is probably the tension on the belts. He gave me 10kms before it will fall off. But i have driven 140kms with it already so i need to make it back home (about 70 kms).
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 11:42

Yeah sorry the description is dodgy.

Just went to the mechanic in my lunch break (i work in Ipswich)

He said it is either the water pump has blown its bearing or the cam belt is in trouble.

He grabbed the fan and flapped it around and said it is about to fall off and will probably go through my radiator. The only thing keeping it on is probably the tension on the belts. He gave me 10kms before it will fall off. But i have driven 140kms with it already so i need to make it back home (about 70 kms).

yeah, this sounds like my issue, im assuming its the water pump.

just sounds like two metal peices squeaking together.

Eldar.O.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah no squeak. just bare rub. it sound worse in the cabin because there isn't the other engine noise. But you can hear the fan thing in the engine bay more
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the car leaking water when you turn the car off??
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What engine is it?

Just had a simular thing with a 3sge, making what sounded like a buggered camshaft bearing, but turned out to be a screwed water pump (was only 5 months old) and also the idler timing belt tensioner had a worn out noisy bearing.

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Wed, 08 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Do you think i will make it home?[ 4 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 2 / 50%
2.No 2 / 50%

thought i would add a poll for a bit of fun.

It is a 1G-GEU. No it doesn't leak water. i think the guy wasn't being unrealistic when he said i have about 10km's before it blows. So i am going to do the 70km treak home. vote now. poll closes at 7pm brisbane time as i should be home by then.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Wed, 08 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep an eye on the water temp guage.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Wed, 08 June 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you disbelieving people. i made it. and then temp gauge didn't move from normal. so the pump must still pump it just blew it bearing or something
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Wed, 08 June 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would get it fixed asap especially if i had to drive 70km frequently
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Thu, 09 June 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the car is in its place at home and won't be going anywhere.

Rang around and the best they could do for me is 170 ex freight!!!! thats wacked. I can get the TT half cut for $900
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Thu, 09 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So get a TT half cut.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Thu, 09 June 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^ what mr micro machine said Smile

im going to take mine to my mechanics for a look soon, i cant get any time off!

i seriously think its the water pump.

i think it might be that the water pump bearing is gone, so when you rev it, because it doesnt spin freely, it spins slower than the belt, so, while it is still spinning, its not spinning fast enough, and the belt slips...

if you get what i mean...

Eldar.O.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. VOTE NOW! Thu, 09 June 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from in the cabin you could hear it grinding as if something had no oil and it should have. but like i have said you could grab the fan and move it around. the belt tension is probable holing it is place
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Help I think my motor is screwed. Thu, 09 June 2005 06:45 Go to previous message
double post

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 06:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2000GT
Next Topic:Curious mind here
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:56:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062510967254639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.