Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Sun, 05 June 2005 04:02 Go to next message
I've got a celica sx, with extractors 2.25" exhaust, high flow cat, powerchip 98 gold and a k&n panel filter.

I'm just wonderin how different the car would drive with 268 degrees..
Would the lifters have to be changed or anything? Would i have any major problems? and would there be much gain? and if so where abouts would the power come in

Thanx
Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Sun, 05 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Non sequituer

OHC != Lifters

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Sun, 05 June 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
without an ecu, you won't get the most out of your car.

Drivability down low will suffer badly, but u'll reap the rewards up in the rev range.

You will need to adjust the shims once they are installed, and possibly modify the head, and springs if they ahve too much lift, to avoid spring bind.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Sun, 05 June 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian you know the answer to this one mate.The 3sge ECu is shitty as and cant, i repeat CAN"T run cams.Even with your new chip it wont run them properly.I dont know if that can be reprogrammed or anything, but if it just changes fuel load and timing then no it cant.

to run them you'll need at least an aftermarket computer or MS!Then stronger springs, new shims (under bucket shims in a gen1 3s not lifters) and possibly head work while its out(but i think thats already been done to yours)

Anyway, so simple no unless you get a new ECU.

Sorry for the bad news but if you wanted to add cams you shoulda saved some more for a wolf 3d or something

Catcha mate
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Sun, 05 June 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Thanx Stuc,
Yeah the powerchip is great for overal drivability hence why i got it, but yeah i was just curious to see. The rest of the modifications tend to be a TAD bit expensive from this side onwards hehehe.

What would the stock 3sge cam duration be like? maybe if i got say a MILD cam duration I might be able to benefit slightly more? or not worth it!
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Mon, 06 June 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Again, the ECU cant handle it.It can run with very very very mild cams, BUT, it will run like a dog, wont fuel properly and would ultimately be a waste of money.

Your call dude
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian -> driveability will go out the window. I could tell you why but you probably won't listen Razz

Don't bother with the cams.

And as for 'the rest of the modifications being a tad expensive' - well that makes no sense to me at all man Wink

One thing though, you may not need stronger valve springs, depending how high the lift on the cam is.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Tue, 07 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 12:23

Adrian -> driveability will go out the window. I could tell you why but you probably won't listen Razz

Don't bother with the cams.

And as for 'the rest of the modifications being a tad expensive' - well that makes no sense to me at all man Wink

One thing though, you may not need stronger valve springs, depending how high the lift on the cam is.

Yeah i thought this would be the ccase, Drivability is something I would prefer to keep..

What i mean't by the rest of the mods being a tad expensive is the fact that you usually have to rebuild the engine as most of it has to come out to do so... NA that is.. What i was thinking was Port and Polish, Honing out the block etc...

Any other thoughts on the topic or better choices!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Tue, 07 June 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A powerchip is an expensive mod if you ask me Razz
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Tue, 07 June 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove ur aircon man, thats a good way to free up a coupla kilowatts, make ur car lighter more fuel efficient too.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just dump the lot and get a 3sge beams from an St202 - its about as good as your gunna get if you dont want to go turboz, superchargers , or a decent aftermarket ECU - not a piggyback bandaid ..

Sorry to be harsh but youre basically at the limit with what you can do without investing more dollah!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Wed, 08 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 00:05

remove ur aircon man, thats a good way to free up a coupla kilowatts, make ur car lighter more fuel efficient too.

I'd rather cop the losses and drive in comfort during summer
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Wed, 08 June 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I understand it costs quite a bit to get more but yeah just got a thing for this motor. It goes really great from what i've done, i mean it was sitting on about 86.8ATWkw (timing was retarded)from just a 2.25" exhaust so after the extractors, high flow cat and powerchip its definitely a step up from the stock motor..

Hmm...
Maybe i might just do the respray and possibly change the springs around from king springs heavy duty to king springs lows.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Thu, 09 June 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
changing from heavy duty lows from stock height heavy duty springs will not change anything but lower your car im going to assume.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How would 268 degree cams run on a 3sge! Thu, 09 June 2005 14:54 Go to previous message
Yeah - why lower the car anyway, unless you are also going to change the wheel alignment to suit?

Coilovers are a better idea anyway, that way you can adjust ride height without screwing the spring rate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX13 Springs/Shocks
Next Topic:4age cams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:26:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053849220275879 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.