Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
battery in boot....St18* Sun, 05 June 2005 10:56 Go to next message
Hey all, as some of u may know i hav a ST184 hatchback with a 3sgte, and am looking at fitting a FMIC,and straight intake , meaning id like to move the battery.. my question is if i move my battery to my boot,will i need it engineered..to suit, and/or will the cops give me a hard time about it ?
As normal,any advice or help is thanked..!
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 05 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes. battery needs to be securely strapped in (battery clamp thru the bootpan works well), in a sealed box, and vented to atmosphere. A big fuckoff fuse of some kind is also a good idea back there, to stop your interior catching on fire if your wiring sucks Smile

and yes, engineering
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 05 June 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check this link out,
Lachlan's page
Michael
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 05 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which is complete crap actually.
you still need to have the battery box vented, even if you use a sealed or dry type battery. I have a sealed battery with it's own venting tube, but the box must still be sealed and vented (because the RTA is a long way behind on battery technology)
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough, well disregard my previous post then,
Michael
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not meaning to shit on you or anything, just re-read that and realised I sounded agro Razz
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You most definately DO NOT require an engineers certificate for relocating the battery and a sealed battery or a battery with an in-built vent does not need to be in another sealed container.
The reason that a battery needs to vent to atmosphere in the first place is that whilst charging (driving), a lead acid battery produces hydrogen gas and as the people on the hindenburg found out.. Hydrogen go's boom very easily.
Therefore.. gass vented = legal.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt.R wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:51

You most definately DO NOT require an engineers certificate for relocating the battery and a sealed battery or a battery with an in-built vent does not need to be in another sealed container.
The reason that a battery needs to vent to atmosphere in the first place is that whilst charging (driving), a lead acid battery produces hydrogen gas and as the people on the hindenburg found out.. Hydrogen go's boom very easily.
Therefore.. gass vented = legal.

Your ghey and you know nothing at all. Go crawl back under the rock from which you came out from.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:27

Your ghey and you know nothing at all. Go crawl back under the rock from which you came out from.

Gotta love these kinda comments.
"You are wrong so you suck and im not going to tell you why".

Definitely shows maturity Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 19:10

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:27

Gotta love these kinda comments.
"You are wrong so you suck and im not going to tell you why".

Definitely shows maturity Confused

Seeing you have "forums junkie" status, you should of been around long enough to know that this subject has been covered so many times its not funny anymore.
You should also know that this subject has been answered every time.
You should also know that Kurt.R is very wrong with all of his "facts".

Why would someone who obviously doesn't know what hes talking about try and force such crap on people??

And this my fellow forum buddy is the reason why my last post was so immature.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 09:15]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right.
So you should explain why he was wrong, or at least hint at it (ie, tell him to search).
Remember we were all newbies at one point, commenting to them like you did just scares them off = bad for the community.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point Very Happy

Kurt.R, go search and find out why you are soooo wrong.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

as the people on the hindenburg found out.. Hydrogen go's boom very easily.

Not car related, but the hindenburg went up in flames, not from the hydrogen but from the cellulose acetate and aluminium powder that it's 'skin' was waterproofed with. Hydrogen burn with an almost invisible flame, The hindenburg went up in a fireball that was very visable!

As for the batttery in the boot idea, I have none!

good luck, hope you liked the useless info
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and if you search really closely in the forums history - youll see how to rear mount a battery in a st18* provided by yours truely - complete with pictures
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: battery in boot....St18* Wed, 08 June 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just buy a 7kg Odessey battery and weld a mounting cradle onto the strut brace. Or right over against the side of the bay.

Saves buggering around with extra fuses, 5meters of very thick power cable, new grounds etc...
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks stu,ive found your write up on it , and am putting it in to practice asap...if i hav any questions regarding it,can i ask u via pm..?

Still will i need it engineered..? i will most likely get a sealed battery...? ..
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 22:57

which is complete crap actually.
you still need to have the battery box vented, even if you use a sealed or dry type battery. I have a sealed battery with it's own venting tube, but the box must still be sealed and vented (because the RTA is a long way behind on battery technology)

That depends a lot on what state you are in. ACT does not require sealed batteries to be vented (Odessy etc) or for that matter even in a box. When my Sprinter was engineered and went over the Dickson pits they said no word about it. It did however have to get a little sticker which stated "If this battery is replaced with a non-sealed type it must be placed in a proper enclosure".

Ill get a photo of it next time im near the car.

Gets back to the "Check with the RTA in your relevant State" which everyone seems to forget to do.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he's in my state Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And??? This is a national forum, others who read this are not necessarily in your state.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re my battery - its Ok as far , engineer likes how it was set out + hasnt said anythign against it

Remember im in victoria - so laws might be diferent
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: battery in boot....St18* Thu, 09 June 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok for all you victorians lifted from vic roads web page:

"The vehicle battery must be properly secured in the design or other location. If the battery is moved to the boot or other suitable location inside the vehicle it must be secured in a suitable covered container, attached to the vehicle and provided with drainage through the base to outside the vehicle. A suitable container must prevent leakage or spillage of any liquid in the container inside the vehicle and prevent electrical shorting under likely operating conditions."

Basically sealed and vented and must be well secured, though it doesnt say anything about where you should run your cables. So it pretty much states what every1 else has been saying
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sat, 11 June 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where do I even start.
Firstly to mister 'I'm a tree huggin fuck stick cause I have a frog as my avatar' AKA Cool1. From your name I thought you were one of these 15 year old keyboard warriors but then I saw that you are about my age. here's a hint... if you have to name your self 'Cool1' then you probably arn't realy cool at all.
Secondly you said I was wrong about everything and i'm sure you would know being an "electronic technician"... what is that supposed to be, like some one who works at Jaycar or something??
I'm an Avionic Technician in the defence force and a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer so I know what i'm fucking well talking about.
Then you suggest that I do a search to find out about this topic instead of the person who started this thread in the first place.
If you don't have anything constructive to say then shut the fuck up or do you like stirring shit in these forums cause your too piss weak to do it face to face.

Cheers,
Kurt
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sat, 11 June 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude - being an avionics technition has nothing to do with the RTA - the rules are pretty clear - batterymust be in a sealed box vented to atmosphere. while some engineers may pass other set-ups, this is the only one that is strictly legal.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sat, 11 June 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt.R wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 19:31

Where do I even start.
Firstly to mister 'I'm a tree huggin fuck stick cause I have a frog as my avatar' AKA Cool1. From your name I thought you were one of these 15 year old keyboard warriors but then I saw that you are about my age. here's a hint... if you have to name your self 'Cool1' then you probably arn't realy cool at all.
Secondly you said I was wrong about everything and i'm sure you would know being an "electronic technician"... what is that supposed to be, like some one who works at Jaycar or something??
I'm an Avionic Technician in the defence force and a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer so I know what i'm fucking well talking about.
Then you suggest that I do a search to find out about this topic instead of the person who started this thread in the first place.
If you don't have anything constructive to say then shut the fuck up or do you like stirring shit in these forums cause your too piss weak to do it face to face.

Cheers,
Kurt

No need to be like that mate. If you want to give me a head job, just ask.
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all , i ended up buying a optima battery, its fully (sik) sealed and has the "plates" coiled...would that be ok in a battery box hey ...? oh and draven , you got them pics yet bro .. would be good to see...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought I e-mailed them to you already?
pm me your e-mail addy and I'll re-send them this arvo - I'm at work at the moment, so I can't do it right now for you.

Any battery in a sealed case will be fine - I'll give you a full description of my setup in my e-mail, and also the other options that are safe & easy to do (and legal)
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah if you have a normal battery it needs to be in a sealed container vented to atmosphere. BUT like I said before.. If the battery is sealed or has a built in vent to atmosphere it does not need to be inside ANOTHER container(in N.S.W.)
And I'm aware that being an avionic technician has nothing to do with the RTA, I wrote that in response to dick heads comment about knowing nothing about batteries e.t.c.
I have been through the process of engineering 3 cars all with batteries in the boot. I have been to court for defects 3 times representing myself every time and won every time so I do have some clue about the the RTA's Regulations.

Cheers,
Kurt.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt.R wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 15:18

Yeah if you have a normal battery it needs to be in a sealed container vented to atmosphere. BUT like I said before.. If the battery is sealed or has a built in vent to atmosphere it does not need to be inside ANOTHER container(in N.S.W.)
And I'm aware that being an avionic technician has nothing to do with the RTA, I wrote that in response to dick heads comment about knowing nothing about batteries e.t.c.
I have been through the process of engineering 3 cars all with batteries in the boot. I have been to court for defects 3 times representing myself every time and won every time so I do have some clue about the the RTA's Regulations.

Cheers,
Kurt.

Your tha man. You'll now have to quit foozball and take up boxing because, you are tha maaan.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt.R wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 15:18

Cheers,
Kurt.

my guess would be the copper didn't bother to show up, do they ever?

neways i go away to join another club and your guys start fighting all over again.

richie, as i understand it you have all the things you need for you conversion, but as for engineering, you will have to get that done as if its the same as queensland your car doesn't have a "boot" coz you have lift back its considered part of the cabin area and does require being placed in a suitable vented box.

thats from my own knowledge and based on QLD standards, i apoligise if i am wrong.

PS paul if your still getting around can you explain what you sugested to me, i would be interested to know, still looking into what i'm goin to do with m car.

also shane lighten up, not everyone that is agro with you wants to give you head

sorry editted i quote the wrong person

[Updated on: Sun, 12 June 2005 08:14]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:07

also shane lighten up, not everyone that is agro with you wants to give you head

Yeah they do.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in boot....St18* Sun, 12 June 2005 08:43 Go to previous message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:32

DunkyMonkey wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:07

Yeah they do.

oh right my bad, thats what i've been feeling Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing
Next Topic:Modifying the gas bonnet shocks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:05:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070149898529053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.