Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
120kwKE20
Occasional Poster

May 2005
120kwKE20
icon4.gif  TURBO ON 5K Tue, 07 June 2005 07:13 Go to next message
Can anyone tell me if its possible to turbo a 5k engine and if so how ..and what will be compatible without too much fuss
  Send a private message to this user    
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: TURBO ON 5K Tue, 07 June 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it can be turboed, and if you do a search around you'll find enough information on how to do it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: TURBO ON 5K Tue, 07 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
120kwKE20 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 17:13

turbo a 5k without too much fuss

no can do Wink all handmade.. easy tho Razz
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Tue, 07 June 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can be done but you need custom manifolds and do a decent amount of engine strengthening. Just like any other NA turbo conversion.
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres an issue of zoom from early this year or late last year, it has a matte black KE70 with a turbo 20 valve on the front, "Killer Conversions issue" i think is the headline.
It has a feature on a KE10 with a turbo 5K, it makes 140kw at the wheels, or thereabouts, i think.
i think the lady who owns it is a member of toymods.
Hope this can be of some kind of help.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I think the car was in South Aust or Victoria.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 08:03]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you forgot:
empty wallet in direction of fabrication shops
and
pimp own arse on streets to pay for unexpected engineering costs
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do eeeeeeeet!
Or you could just use an engine that is renowned for being tuff enough to run boost through a blow through carbie setup with stock internals (maybe some ARP conrod bolts). Like 3TC or 3TEU? Fully sick old skool toyota pushrod power.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 08:58]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh...

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 08:05]

bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh... Razz

I concur that you can turbo anything but seeing how 'turbo' motors with low comp can still fuckup and detonate to bits when some people who 'know what they are doing' mess around with them, it stands to reason that NA conversions can also do the same.

If you are going to give it a go then you are going to ask questions and you are going to learn from stuffing up (hopefully not but it's likely). At least thats the slow and painful way I have learnt Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 08:56]

filthman
Regular

May 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
120kwKe20, I have to agree with oldrolla's, anything can be turbo'd, but if you have to ask then you probably don't have the skill to do it yourself (make turbo manifold, etc) then it can get expensive. No offence, you may be a master tig welder, I don't know.

Plenty of turbo kits around are for dead stock standard engines. If you keep the boost low (5-8psi) and the tuning is right then you shouldn't have an issue. Granted it wouldn't have the huge surge when it comes on boost. But if you do it on a standard engine, just be prepared that a cracked piston is a real possibility.

P.S. I'm doing the same for my 4K KE35 with a suck through SU. And no, I don't care if I blow it up, and yes I do know that standard repco pistons aren't very good at best, but 4/3K's are cheap.

You don't learn unless you give it a go.
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too easy mate. my mates got one he built last year and another mate is doing the same to his 4K as we speak. All you need to do is make up a J-pipe off the bottom of your standard "log style" exhaust manifold, go source yourself a Tc06 cordia turbo or equivelant, run a bit of intake&exhaust piping and get someone to help you setup the blow-through carby box, get the timing and fuel done (many dyno places have people experienced with backyard J-pipe jobs), possibly a metal head gasket to lower the compression slightly, weld your diff up then expect hours of fun and many trips to the wreckers for new axles and gearboxes!

Good luck!

André Ribeiro
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[TOYROTA

wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 17:24]Too easy mate. my mates got one he built last year and another mate is doing the same to his 4K as we speak. All you need to do is make up a J-pipe off the bottom of your standard "log style" exhaust manifold, go source yourself a Tc06 cordia turbo or equivelant, run a bit of intake&exhaust piping and get someone to help you setup the blow-through carby box, get the timing and fuel done (many dyno places have people experienced with backyard J-pipe jobs), possibly a metal head gasket to lower the compression slightly, weld your diff up then expect hours of fun and many trips to the wreckers for new axles and gearboxes!

Good luck!

André Ribeiro

sigh, i'm sure i don't know anything, and i am old fashioned... but that is such a dirty way of doing it...

why not mount the motor upright (easy), then you have another 10-15cm to make a decent exhaust manifold to mount the turbo. then use 4KE/7KE intake manifolds (4KE has better TB polacement for turbo/IC.) then use megasquirt/MSnS for tuning and you are set...

personally i hate J pipes, decompression plates (squish? what's that Razz ), and welded diffs (what a shitty way to try and get traction Razz Razz ).... but thats just me Very Happy
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[TOYROTA

wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 17:24]Too easy mate. my mates got one he built last year and another mate is doing the same to his 4K as we speak. All you need to do is make up a J-pipe off the bottom of your standard "log style" exhaust manifold, go source yourself a Tc06 cordia turbo or equivelant, run a bit of intake&exhaust piping and get someone to help you setup the blow-through carby box, get the timing and fuel done (many dyno places have people experienced with backyard J-pipe jobs), possibly a metal head gasket to lower the compression slightly, weld your diff up then expect hours of fun and many trips to the wreckers for new axles and gearboxes!

Good luck!

André Ribeiro

What psi are you expecting to run with that? The stock internals can't take too much of a beating. And listen to Oldcorollas, he knows what hes talking about and do a search. Lots of threads like these, its great Smile!
Thanks
Troy
NickZ
Regular

February 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why turbo?
Ive just finished supercharging a 4k with a SC12...goes well enough for the style of engine.
yes it will blow up as we are running 10psi boost on a 240,000+ standard engine and the guy i did it from revs the crap outof it...but it does work and it was easy
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/nickhay/images/4kze/4kze.jpg

No modifications to exhaust manifolds etc,easy to make mounting brackets, and you dont have to use injection, they will work with draw through or blow through carb setups.
8 PSI at 1500 and 10 at 3000rpm to 5500, rev limited.
the pully is now diffrent to that pictured, its a twin belt pully and bigger now from a AIR CON.

Yes there is a 4K under all that.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Beautiful setup NickZ, Gorgeous. What are some brands that are blow through carb? Just one more question, whats sticking out of the SC pipe around the radiator? Is it a gauge of some sort. Confused Have a good one.
Thanks
Troy
NickZ
Regular

February 2004
Re: TURBO ON 5K Wed, 08 June 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a bocsh blow off valve, used as a bypass thats now plumbed back to the intake, it bypassed the boost then the throttle is shut, other wise the throttle will have trouble shutting when you back off.

Daihatsu Charade G11 3 clyinder had a factory blow through carb setup....a carby off one of those would work.
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: TURBO ON 5K Thu, 09 June 2005 07:58 Go to previous message
Quote:

sigh, i'm sure i don't know anything, and i am old fashioned... but that is such a dirty way of doing it...

why not mount the motor upright (easy), then you have another 10-15cm to make a decent exhaust manifold to mount the turbo. then use 4KE/7KE intake manifolds (4KE has better TB polacement for turbo/IC.) then use megasquirt/MSnS for tuning and you are set...

personally i hate J pipes, decompression plates (squish? what's that Razz ), and welded diffs (what a shitty way to try and get traction Razz Razz ).... but thats just me Very Happy

Haha yeah true, it is definately the dodgiest way to go about it, i was just assuming he was out for a quick bit of fun and the cheapest way to go about it! if you actually want to keep the car for a while, dont mind spending a little bit more cash and want to do it properly, then there are definately much better ways to go about this! oldcorollas is pretty much right on the money and looks like there a few other guys on here that have also done this sort of thing properly before so it's best to just have a chat to everyone about all the different things they've all done then choose the one you think is the best for your budget and purpose. J-pipe setups are really the bare-basic dodgy way of going about it for a "quick fix" style of doing it.
We only used to run 6pounds in ours and it lasted for ages and ages, we were actually quite surprised. We then sold it to another friend a few years later who rapped the #@%%#@ out of it day in day out and frequently ran 12 pounds through it for a quick drag and we were actually surprised that it lasted a further 6months being treated like this before destroying the head gasket. One new copper headgasket later and it was back in business! It's gone through a few hands since then but somewhere along the lines it did eventually blow and now runs the same setup on a 4K instead of a 5K but it is suprisingly much much slower than it used to be with the 5K.

André
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to: ST185 Gt4 Rear battery relocation
Next Topic:a blown head gasket or not that is the question?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 07:32:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007300853729248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.