Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 14:40 Go to next message
alright, so I need a spare for my car. only problem is with 4x114.3 and skyline brakes on the front, I only have 2 realistic options.
First, I go out and find a mag I can buy that will fit. a bit expensive and heavy for how much I care about a spare, and it means I'd need to go grab an ma61 boot liner (tho I know JAZE has one). My other option is to get a space saver (which will be fine for the rears, and pass rego), and in case of a front flat get some of that "tyre in a can" crap you can buy. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? is it effective? will it damage my rims in any way? (I'm assuming not). I'm leaning toward option 2, the tyre in a can unknown is the only thing standing in my way.
  Send a private message to this user    
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard bad bad things about that stuff...i havent used it myself, but i have used a similar thing, the pushbike version of it, it is horrible messy shit, it does work ok, it sometimes still leaks tho, dont know if it would be the same with the car stuff.
Also, i wouldnt want to stick around while the guy at the tire shop takes it off to replace it.....
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What if your tyre shreds...? I dont think those can things would work then.. Razz

But yeah, I wouldn't use them. Wouldnt they destroy the tyre from getting all sticky and shit inside?
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What brakes do you have on the rear?

Can you get a tyre that will just go over the rears etc?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another option, for small repairs (which is probably all tyreweld will fix anyway) is to carry a little kit of a few tools (spike, knife, pliers, goo, etc.) of stuff so that you can do an external repair, like many tyre guys do for small nails etc.

I think of tyreweld kind of like chemiweld - it may help reduce the problem at the time, but often makes for biggers ones later on.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That shit in a can is fucked. I used some on my car a little while ago and we spent hours cleaning the shit of the mag once the tyre cam off Confused
Are your front and rear wheels the same? If so just keep the space saver in the car. If you get a flat on the front, put the space saver on the rear and then put the good rear wheel on the front.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Tue, 07 June 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does an S13 space saver not clear the calipers? They have 4x114.3 and 0 offset.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13 space saver was not even close to clearing those puppies. and my front & rear wheels are different. my next thing I'm gonna try is bolt on spacer + s13 space saver. dicey as hell, but hey.,.. that's what I get for not going a 5-stud conversion
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a Motorcycle puncture repair kit. Comes with a spike, file, rubber grommets to put in the hole, glue etc, and even some little compressed air bulbs to re-inflate your tyre. Piss easy to use, if you can find the leak, and are reasonably reliable afterwards, unlike driving on a spacesaver.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For some strange reason, the shit in a can is corrosive on alloy wheels!!!!!. I used it on a coupla rims, and stuffed them.

Find another solution.

cheers Chuck.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gonna go bolt-on spacer + space saver.
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are front and rears same size.

If so just get a space saver. If you blow a front, swap a back wheel to front and use space saver on the back.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How long do you guys drive on the stuff in a can for?

Its designed to be put in only to get you to a tyre shop, not to be driven around on for days.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 11:31

s13 space saver was not even close to clearing those puppies. and my front & rear wheels are different. my next thing I'm gonna try is bolt on spacer + s13 space saver. dicey as hell, but hey.,.. that's what I get for not going a 5-stud conversion

Soo... The calipers obviously stick out over the rotors face.. I was going to suggest a Corona rim, 14", 4x114.3, but obviously the offset isn't that good.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caliper sticks about 35mm past rotor face.
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when we went on a long 4wd trip we werent able to take heaps of spare tyres etc so the guy at the tyre sho gave us a tempory repair thingy. its got a spike with an "eye" on it and u put some wierd rubber sticky long thing through the eye. then stab the spike through the hole and pull it out again and it leaves the rubber crap in the hole sealing the puncture. so yeah they work really well. we had to use them a couple o times.

cheers
craig
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bantech wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 16:34

Are front and rears same size.

If so just get a space saver. If you blow a front, swap a back wheel to front and use space saver on the back.

did you read my replies before you posted that?

I'll look into a repair kit as well, 'cause the 4x114.3 bolt on spacer seems hard to come by (bloody sprinter drivers Razz)
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Wed, 08 June 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the repair kit. It's the same thing they use at the tyre places for repairs anyway, you can do it on the side of the road and re inflate it using the motorbike inflator bulbs or a small cheap elec compressor (could double as a s/charges? Razz )
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Thu, 09 June 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this stuff is effective, we used to use the auto one on our pushy's just because there was more in the can.

last about a day before it liquidises and goes to shit.

i recommend it if you need to get somewhere and dont have a spare, although, your in for a bit of cleaning, the shit is messy, although if your quick it comes off after a bit of a hose down and a light scrub with a hand broom thingy...

Eldar.O.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: opinions on "spare tyre in a can" Thu, 09 June 2005 12:11 Go to previous message
Those cans have worked every time (15-20) I have used them. It's good that those cans fill your flatted tire. I have no spare tire in my car, just can. Many car manufacturers trust these cans too. For example new MB's have no spare tire...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-GTE Pistons
Next Topic:are bigger intercoolers better?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 01:22:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085010528564453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.