Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE Engine Rebuild!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 01:15 Go to next message
To all you engine gurus out there

Alrite im planning to rebuild my motor
Ive got a 86Kw RWd big port 4age and a 100kw FWD small port 4age

Im going to combine the motors, so how would i got about doing so?
I was planning to use the 100kw bottomend and the bigport head with RWD acessories to it and remove the TVIS? Im going to use the 86KW stock ecu and wiring loom.Would there be any problems there.

One problem i noticed is on the 100kw block theres some sort of oil line from the block to the head? What is this?
Would i have to block that off as the big port head doesnt have this.

Anyone got any ideas on how i can do this?

will there be any other problems i will encounter while doing this and what power gains will i achieve?

thanks heaps dudes
  Send a private message to this user    
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate,

I've had both the 86kw and 100kw 4AGE engines in my ae86. If your staying N/A (no turbos etc) then i'd just rebuild the 100kw top to bottom. The oil pipe your talking about is a drain from the head to the sump. The early 4AGE (86kw) had a problem with oil building up in the head therefor dumping it out the PCV hole so to fix this in the later models they put that drain pipe in. Although i never had this problem with my 86 kw. Confused
Honestly from my experience i'd rebuild the 100kw motor. I just finished rebuilding mine and its a mad little unit.

Gaz
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So to rebuild the 100kw block, how about the head? The RWD inlet manifold doesnt fit to the 100kw head.

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence, but why the hell would you put the bigport head on the smallport block? there is a reason that toyota made the smallport, and that reason is more power without needing TVIS.

unless you are going to be running 7MGTE valves or turbo etc, you would be well advised (by me at least) to just use the 100kw head. this will mean you will have to cut the throttle body off one side and weld it onto the other of oyur inlet manifold, but that is a small price to pay.

go here

billzilla.org

and do some searches on here for smallport vs bigport info.

you may want to put the bigport cams in the smallport head (they are higher lift AFIK) i think this would give you more power.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence taken,
Please correct me if im wrong as im only a amature at this and im only going by what i have been reading and been told.But Ive been searching through the forums and what ive been told is to use the 100kw bottomend as it is a 7 rib block with oil squirters and a higher compression ratio and adapt it to the bigport head. That way you have a stronger engine all round.

Anyone care to share so light for us?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dac biet you are right to a point

bigport head with THROTTLE bodies (not single throttle) will create more power because > bigport(s) = higher flow

small port has its limitations on top end power (in stock form) and works well with a single throttle/turbo setup

depends how much your willing to spend on the whole package

[Updated on: Mon, 15 September 2003 12:14]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually toyota did make a bigport head and "7 rib" block in the MR2's...however this 7 rib is a little different to the 100kw 7 rib as it doesn't have the oil squirters and oil drain back in the block.

the oil line is the oil drain that goes from the 100kw small port head back into the block. this could be simply blocked off if you used the big port head...

use the higher compression 100kw pistons and the bigport cams (240 duration and a wee bit more lift) and this will be a nice combo.

T and a friend built one of these combos up in a grey MR2 which i drove some time ago - it was sensational - nice and fresh. make sure the TVIS is setup properly and you will be quite happy with this setup.

remember also alot of people go this way with 4AGTE's using the big port head on the 100kw/7rib/supercharged/42mm block - so its been done plenty of times before!
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Mon, 15 September 2003 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is getting better and better..
Sounds looks like im going to use the following

100KW bottomend with 100kw pistons
Bigport Head with bigport Cams
Bigport RWD accessories

Does that sound about right?

Im still deciding to go standard 86KW bigport Ecu or microtech mtx8.Any opinions guys?

I really dont know where im going to go with this car either keep it N/A or turbo it!, as i have just spent 1 1/2 months preparing and rust proofing every panel in my car, to go with that it has just been resprayed in a awesome Tiger GOLD. So its mine forever!. hehe

I will post pics up once its all complete and look forward to coming on the next cruise!!.

Thanks for all your input guys

[Updated on: Mon, 15 September 2003 23:19]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Tue, 16 September 2003 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats doable.

you could run the 86kw ECU it will work but, the MTX8 properly tuned would be the better idea.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Tue, 16 September 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega the ones in the mr2 with the 7rib block, what internals do they run? 100kw or 86kw?
do they have the bigger bugeon pin?

im trying to work out if gze pistons will go into mine.
Cos I believe thats the motor ive got in my sprinter.
pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 17 September 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt uising the 100Kw ECU be better as it is tuned to run on 96RON petrol instead of 91RON. then u could get rid or the AFM and run the MAP instead. just an idea of course but the MTX8 would be heaps better.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 17 September 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86kw type pistons in the mr2 7 rib.
i think the gudgeon pin is the same size its the big end bearing which is 42mm not 40mm like the 3 rib 86kw type.

well the compression wouldn't exactly be 10:1, but, you could run with 100kw or 86kw ecu - 86kw type ECU depending on spec also run MAP sensors, like the 100kw...
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Thu, 18 September 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

think the gudgeon pin is the same size its the big end bearing which is 42mm not 40mm

86Kw = 18mm Gudgeon and 40mm main
100Kw = 20mm Gudgeon and 42mm main
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Thu, 18 September 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm so would gze pistons go into mine?
thanx guys
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Fri, 19 September 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what block do you have?
its its a MR2 7 rib it will be 42mm/20mm - so yes the GZE pistons will go in.

michael thanks for the 42/20 and 40/18 stuff. didn't know the little ends were different in dia.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for digging an old thread up but I have a few more questions surrounding this topic.

Im planning to build a nice base for a 4agte.

I want to use the 7 Rib block with oil squiters. (mid 89/mid 91){20mm Gudgeon/42 Big End Bearings}

now I plan to use the RWD Bigport Tvis Head That I already have - (Tvis removed)... but I was just reading up on Bill Sherwoods site that the FWD block uses different head gaskets to the RWD so they are not compatible...

Is this the case.??? (would I need to get a FWD head instead?)

and am I correct that Gze pistons will fit this bottom end.?

thanks heaps.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havnt seen that, bill wrote that? but all 16v 4ag's use the same head gasket.unless there is a diffrence with the jdm rwd 4age but i have never seen it.as you are putting an engine together it isnt a problem,you just need to find a rwd inlet manifold or make one.maybe bill ment diffrent part number for the same head gasket, as all 16v head gaskets are the same. hey bill going to answer my email?i know your busy{arnt we all} but im not smuggla,you can reply!hahahaha
mick
p.s any landing you walk away from is a good landing.
p.p.s wind hear is only a problem if you dont make it threw the otherside.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 12:19]

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 22:16

i havnt seen that, bill wrote that? but all 16v 4ag's use the same head gasket.unless there is a diffrence with the jdm rwd 4age but i have never seen it.as you are putting an engine together it isnt a problem,you just need to find a rwd inlet manifold or make one.maybe bill ment diffrent part number for the same head gasket, as all 16v head gaskets are the same. hey bill going to answer my email?i know your busy{arnt we all} but im not smuggla,you can reply!hahahaha
mick
p.s any landing you walk away from is a good landing.
p.p.s wind hear is only a problem if you dont make it threw the otherside.

It looks like I've made a mistake on the FWD/RWD hasket thing, though the 20v ones may be different, not sure yet.
Did you send me an email ... ???
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes bill!drop me a note at alexalexander@ozemail.com.au and ill send it again. you must be back in brissy!
mick
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to put the Bigport inlet manifold on a smal port head you could use one of these:

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/port_adapter.html

There is also an adapter for fitting quad throttles to bigport/smallport heads.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So to confirm, I will be able to do this...
Head Gaskets are all the same yeh...
Shame on you Bill... u had me all worried.....lol Rolling Eyes Wink
or am I getting ahead of myself here...

RWD->FWD head gaskets identical... Evil or Very Mad

for the record... Bill stated that they are different due to the cooling system channels....ie: RWD exit on the front of the engine opposed to FWD exiting at the rear.....

I have the RWD manifold..(have the whole motor actually, so thats not a problem...just building a beefy bottomend)

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 12:56]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes same. so get a 4ag 16v headgasket.
DRFT - 86 hahaha i know your joking but when bill has written what he has, and does what he does, these things happen!just look at my replies, i always say forgive the typos and grammar because i write and dont look up. bill has put a massive website together that i wouldnt have the time or patient's too.he has also spent hours of time answering questions along all the same lines for years!
mick
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Tue, 16 September 2003 07:23

actually toyota did make a bigport head and "7 rib" block in the MR2's...however this 7 rib is a little different to the 100kw 7 rib as it doesn't have the oil squirters and oil drain back in the block.

It also came in the ae92 i think it was the series 1
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers Mick..ur a champ...

yeh Im definatly dont mean anything by it...lol... just poking fun.. Bill's site is awesome and very informative...its almost like a 4age encyclopedia..lol

Wink Cool
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4AGE Engine Rebuild! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:24 Go to previous message
Grega ment to add!dont just block of the oil drain from the head if you use a bigport.do as i do and drill and tap the bigport head to fit the smallport head drain fitting. ohc engines top up with oil,so the extra drainage is a bonus.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte and corona info needed
Next Topic:Quick question regarding SV21 Camry steering...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:36:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054130554199219 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.