Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
icon6.gif  Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Tue, 17 May 2005 03:25 Go to next message
Some early project pics are online here:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/

I have a heap of leftover parts from my soarer frontcut, plus two 7MGTEs (one a Turbo A),a 7MGE converted to turbo, Turbo A ECU, 3.5" mild steel exhaust (including downpipe), Turbo A intercooler and lots more to sell. Eventually I will get round to photographing and listing this stuff in the for sale forum, but in the meantime PM me if you want anything.

Comments on the project or tips on how to improve my forklift burnouts are also welcome Razz

Does anyone have experience with either the Dellow or Castlemaine Rod Shop bell housing and clutch kit pakages for this conversion? I would like to retain the Supra pull type clutch if possible, or at least reuse my Supra ceramic friction plate

Jasper

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 02:52]

Send a private message to this user    
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those pics contain another mechanic puppeh!
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's Clampy Smile
She LOVES coming to work to help me...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM sent !!! Wink
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another V8 supra (turbo)!!

Read my site re Dellow Automotive.

Go with a CRS belhousing.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suprapete: did you use a Dellow flywheel?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. I used my 7M lightened flywheel and adapted it for the 1UZ.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a guy in QLD who makes/sells 1UZ flywheels that are lighter than the CRS version.

Quote:

QUAD CAMS AUSTRALIA
Warwick, QLD
07 4661 4551, 0400 888 432
quadcamsaustralia@bigpond.com

Im probably going to use one for my 1UZ conversion.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete: Can you supply details of how this was done? Was the 1UZ ringgear put on the 7M? Who did the machining?

M.W.P.: Does this guy have a webpage or any info online? Do you know what they cost?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=1ndecent wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 16:24]SupraPete: Can you supply details of how this was done? Was the 1UZ ringgear put on the 7M? Who did the machining?[quote]

Theres a spacer between the auto flywheel and the engine. This was used as a template to drill new holes in the 7M flywheel. The ringear was taken off the auto flywheel and heat shrunk onto the 7M flywheel. It was then balanced (cost more than machining).

Machining was done by a local shop which I don't know the name, and balancing at another nameless machining shop.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Tue, 17 May 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ndecent wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 15:54

M.W.P.: Does this guy have a webpage or any info online? Do you know what they cost?

I dont know what they are worth, and i dont think he has a web page. I havnt looked into it too much more yet...

He is on these forums as "qca":
http://lextreme.com/forums/

[Updated on: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:05]

1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Wed, 18 May 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know the size of the friction plate in the Toyota Dyna clutch that the Dellow kit uses?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 18 May 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great conversion into an MA70 BUT did you have to fuck a 1 of 500 Turbo A!! Sad

I cry everytime i see a riced or hacked up Turbo A cant people just get a aust delivered Ma70 or a GA70 POS and hack those up!

no offence dude, your car do what you like but GEEEZZZZZ Confused
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 19 May 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 00:20

great conversion into an MA70 BUT did you have to fuck a 1 of 500 Turbo A!! Sad

I cry everytime i see a riced or hacked up Turbo A cant people just get a aust delivered Ma70 or a GA70 POS and hack those up!

no offence dude, your car do what you like but GEEEZZZZZ Confused

It was aready pretty fucked Embarassed

If you think so highly of them you could swap me yours... Cool

BTW there is a complete Turbo A front cut at a wrecker near me at the moment.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 May 2005 03:50]

1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Thu, 19 May 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 14:34

Another V8 supra (turbo)!!

Read my site re Dellow Automotive.

Go with a CRS belhousing.

I just found out that the CRS bellhousing is made for the shorter 160mm input shaft than some R154s have (Hilux?).

If you want to put one on a Supra R154 with the 190mm input shaft they sting you another $275 for a spacer plate. Sad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 19 May 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats gone up.
Its was only $150 back in August.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 19 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That could explain all my clutch problems. My spacer is only 16mm (plus another 1 or 2mm for gap. If I add another 12mm it might fix my clutch problem completely.

That explains a lot. Also means dellow is worse than I originally thought as they didn't tell me that, they actually said the one they sold me was *definately* for a 190mm shaft.

Thinking must be done about this. ... spend another $500 to get the gearbox dropped, a new bearing for the clutch slave cylinder and the legs of the slave cylinder shortened another 10-12mm. And to find a shop that'll do it all for me as I don't feel like doing the work myself.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 19 May 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The guy I talked to at Dellow said he remembered you from school, and that you had bought the bellhousing for the 160mm front shaft.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 19 May 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha awesome! They remember now, but couldn't help me then (even when I brought my gearbox in to show them). Can't believe they remembered me from 2 and a half years ago.

Well now I know my problem for sure. Now I can go about fixing it!

Now if I get a spacer I'll need to change my mounts, so maybe just grind down my slave cylinder legs on the shaft. Still need the bearing fom my slave cylinder.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
icon7.gif  Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a box of goodies from Dellow yesterday Smile

Will post links to pics of bellhousing, clutch, flywheel etc.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/bellhousing.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/clutch%20cover.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/clutch%20fork.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/flywheel.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/frictionplate.jpg
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sigh* there should be standards of manifacture for automotive parts so fugly crap like that never sees the light of day Sad i have seen better castings come out of china!
FASTFOO
Regular

February 2005
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GET THE FLYWHEEL BALANCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It weighs 14 kg and is NOT balanced Mad
It spins at up to 7000 rpm and if the threaded to the head (NOT SHANKED) bolts shear and it gets away it wont stop at bellhousing,floorpan,legs,windscreen,etc.

MATT.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What weight is the clutch?
What car is the clutch from?
The Bruster
Regular

August 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good!!!!

I considered this conversion once my selfa few years back, but never got around to it (story of my like lol) What are you doing with teh cross members? I thought a 1UZ fitted right onto a late spec cross member?
1UZ FTE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's TT ,.. I'd take a guess at saying that clutch will slip unless the clamping force is on the extreme side, then you will need a leg like Arnie ,..
Justen should be able to confirm this as well,

Sorry don't want to sound negative just trying to save you the hassle of putting it all together then having to remove it

I have tried 3 single plate setup all ended up slipping in a short time ,.. so have since gone to multi plate
Justen with his TT GT4 1u is going through the same process ,.. i think he is on his 2nd or 3rd clutch as well

Hope this helps,.. this is not meant to be negative just some advice

J
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Wed, 08 June 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran a single plate briefly...just to get the car to Dubbo really as it was all i could get my hands on while waiting for the custom twin plate. It wouldn't hold any psi but then i didn't expect it to. The twin 5 puck button clutch (i have pics if you want) holds the current 270rwkw...just. Signs of slipping when i pulled it out to do the tranny swap. The new setup is twin 4 puck (long story) so see how this more agressive puck arrangement holds up.

Not many of these on the road so if you have any questions drop me an email. Should be a pearler, keen to see the finished result.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan: What is so exrtremely poor about that casting?

FASTFOO: How do you know that flywheel is not balanced? Usually the holes are drilled around the outer edge which you wouldnt see. Realistically you should get the clutch and flywheel together balanced as one.

1ndecent: Just so you can get an idea of clutch, i have a similar clutch to yours with 3000lb clamping force. It has no problem with my landy with 400hp and mass off around 1850kg with driver and fuel. It doesent slip like a normal organic full face but is still easy to drive. Main problem is the 3000lb clamp pushes my hydraulics to their limits and is arnie leg worthy.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FASTFOO wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 22:45

It spins at up to 7000 rpm and if the threaded to the head (NOT SHANKED) bolts shear and it gets away it wont stop at bellhousing,floorpan,legs,windscreen,etc.

MATT.

I plan to get the flywheel and clutch balanced as an assembly, and will be using proper 12.9 capscrews, not the 8.8 bolts provided. Aiming for 8000rpm too. Cool
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 10:36

It has no problem with my landy with 400hp and mass off around 1850kg with driver and fuel.

Getting a little off topic here, but what have you done to get 400hp?
Its still NA right?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 11:09

Skip wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 10:36

It has no problem with my landy with 400hp and mass off around 1850kg with driver and fuel.

Getting a little off topic here, but what have you done to get 400hp?
Its still NA right?

Its a 1JZGTE dude.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ordered a 'high clamp load' clutch from Dellow, but the guy there couldn't tell me the clamp load. Rolling Eyes

I may take it to my local clutch guy, he has helped me out in the past increasing clamp loads by moving the pivots on the diaphram and milling the seat for the clutch housing.

As for the pedal, I'm not quite Arnie but I can push some pretty heavy weights around without much trouble. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 03:22]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jasper,

Good to see that it is coming along well.

Still interested in the cams though !!! PM sent

Cheers

Michael B
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I may take it to my local clutch guy, he has helped me out in the past increasing clamp loads by moving the pivots on the diaphram and milling the seat for the clutch housing.

This i what my clutch has had done to it.

The other guys are probably right though, youll end up needing a twin plate Razz
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am aiming to get the thing running before the blowers go on. It will help me make sure that everything is OK mechanically, and be much easier to register the engine conversion. I wouldn't be surprised if I do need another clutch down the track, particularly if I fit a decompressed motor for higher boost.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Thu, 09 June 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 09:44

I ran a single plate briefly...just to get the car to Dubbo really as it was all i could get my hands on while waiting for the custom twin plate. It wouldn't hold any psi but then i didn't expect it to. The twin 5 puck button clutch (i have pics if you want) holds the current 270rwkw...just. Signs of slipping when i pulled it out to do the tranny swap. The new setup is twin 4 puck (long story) so see how this more agressive puck arrangement holds up.

Not many of these on the road so if you have any questions drop me an email. Should be a pearler, keen to see the finished result.

Some pics of your clutch evolution would be great! Clamp loads, holding torque figures and prices would be good too. I am going to run with the single plate as long as it lasts, but it never hurts to plan ahead...
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Fri, 10 June 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drop me an email if you want clutch pics as i don't have a site to FTP from. As for clamp force it's a whole different kettle of fish with twin plates as you don't need to have huge pressure as you have doubled the friction surface. My setup uses what would be considered a heavy duty holden six diaphram. Pedal feel is quite light, barely more than stock feel. Thus far there was no noticeable slip laying down 270rwkw thru a pair of 255 18's. there were some heat spots on things when i took it out though so there is some slip but nothing you would worry about.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Fri, 10 June 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~indecent/2005-06-08/clutch.jpg
Justen's Clutch
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sat, 11 June 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks much better condition than my twin plate

http://v8supra.com/clutch1.jpg
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sat, 11 June 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What flywheels are you guys using?

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 09:01]

1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sun, 12 June 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 19:01

What flywheels are you guys using?

I'm using one from Dellow, it was $350 plus $25 to have the ringgear from my 1UZ flexplate fitted. There is a pic earlier in this thread.

Suprapete is using a redrilled 7M flywheel.

Not sure what Justen is using, it looks very different to mine.

If anyone has pics of the "lightweight" flywheel that Quad Cams Australia makes please post them up along with price.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sun, 12 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
QCA's

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/uz2/flywheel_1.jpg

$340 plus $120 for a new ring gear.
At least thats what the price was 18months ago when I bought it.

Thus far it has shat on the quality of any other flywheel I've seen.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sun, 12 June 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
QCA flywheel does look nice! What clutch are you using CrUZsida?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sun, 12 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NFI what the clutch is.
I know its an EXEDY clutch plate, but I have no idea on the pressure plate brand.
It was supposed to be 2200lbs, and be able to handle a couple of pounds of boost, but its began to slip.
I think thats due to the fact that the release bearing was always putting pressure on the plate, so I wasn't getting full clamping force.

http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/uz2/clutch_plate. jpg
http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/uz2/pressure_plat e_1.jpg
http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/uz2/pressure_plat e_2.jpg
FASTFOO
Regular

February 2005
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Sun, 12 June 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ndecent wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 13:08

FASTFOO wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 22:45

MATT.

I plan to get the flywheel and clutch balanced as an assembly, and will be using proper 12.9 capscrews, not the 8.8 bolts provided. Aiming for 8000rpm too. Cool

GOOD MAN do it right and no one has to see a coroner! Shocked

MATT.

P.S. I Know what they are like because I used one once and spent $$$ on top of the cost to make it something I would put in one of my customers cars. Mad
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Mon, 13 June 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 13:14

It was supposed to be 2200lbs, and be able to handle a couple of pounds of boost, but its began to slip.
I think thats due to the fact that the release bearing was always putting pressure on the plate, so I wasn't getting full clamping force.

I didn't know you had this problem.

What is the cause of yours?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Mon, 13 June 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly I didn't put the front oil seal for the gearbox in correctly, so the clutch plate got infected with oil.

But I pulled the clutch off and cleaned it with degreaser/carby cleaner, etc etc, replaced the front oil seal and reinstalled.
Took a couple of days before the grip was back, but it was fine after that.

Ever since day one its only needed about 5mm pushing on the clutch pedal to get the pressure plate to begin disengaging (ie it you are resting your foot there, and stand on the throttle the revs will fly up)

I just think the stock release bearing carrier has positioned the bearing too close to the pressure plate with the way the CRS bellhousing mounts the fork.
I'll be modding it before it goes back in.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Turbo 1UZ into Turbo A Supra Pics Tue, 19 July 2005 07:40 Go to previous message
I just had the clamp load on the clutch measured at 2000lbs.
The chap who measured it is going to increase the clamp load as much as possible, he estimated around 2500lbs...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTEU is a hating bitch, a question. Have I cooked my ECU?
Next Topic:negative camber
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 21:28:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099020004272461 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.