Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » reset ECU = better performance?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 13:57 Go to next message
hay guys. been hearing that if you reset the ecu (by d/c battery for 30minutes) you could increase performance ?
the reasoning provided for this was that it adjusts something.. i dunon. timing, air flow, whatever it is, and it adjusts it to your new driving style. ie, thrashing!!!!
i dont know if this is true or bs.

does resetting yoru ECU and then thrashing your car after you reconnect it actually give you better performance?
  Send a private message to this user    
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does increase perfomance in some cars with learning cpus with autos ( basically lets you hold in gears longer b4 shifting.) audis bmws ect have this feature but not in early model injection pre 1990.
aznpsuazn
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so say, in a 92 corolla sx manual it would do nothing?
so resetting the ecu will not alter anything else?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seriously doubt it sounds like a crock to me
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it too.
But you might as well give it a try... got nothing to loose.
Mofo III
Regular

March 2004

Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn man your gonna have to re do all your settings again on your cd player!! maybe give it another thought.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it, and most of those learning auto cars don't need to be reset, they just need to be driven in a certain style for a set period of time... in our lil A-class that time seems to be 3mins or so...

It's always a bit of a dog after dad has been driving it and it always holds the gears until much higher in the rev range when I've been behind the wheel Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 21:10]

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Thu, 09 June 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, you might get a performance increase if your ecu had detected a fault and was making the car go into limp mode... so after you correct the fault and reset the ecu everything should go back to performing as normal... or just keep resetting the ecu Rolling Eyes
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Fri, 10 June 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mofo III wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 02:44

damn man your gonna have to re do all your settings again on your cd player!! maybe give it another thought.

Laughing Plus the clock! That's the kind of thing I think about whenever I have to disconnect my battery, the thought of risking a fuse is tempting sometimes.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Fri, 10 June 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A) Just pull the EFI fuse for 5mins, that cuts power to the ECU but doesn't touch the rest.
B) The ECU is CONSTANTLY learning. Resetting the ECU just reverts it back to factory settings.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: reset ECU = better performance? Fri, 10 June 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep you just remove the EFI fuse for a few minutes.
When you put it back in you repeat the following procedure several times.
1. Start engine.
2. Give it a few seconds to allow the idle to stabilise.
3. Stop engine.

Do the same thing when the engine is cold and at operating temp.

If you don't do this you might find it takes a while for the ECU to learn to idle properly again and you could find yourself konking out at lights for a while until it works out its shit.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reset ECU = better performance? Fri, 10 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous message
The ECU isn't going to affect the air flow to the engine. Only your right foot does that.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Black top 20 valve . 5sp or 6 sp ?
Next Topic:Is 5 valve better than 4 valve?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:59:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045180320739746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.