Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
guido
Regular

January 2005
icon9.gif  22RE idle problems Thu, 09 June 2005 13:48 Go to next message
Well as the thread suggests I'm having problems with the idle on my RA65 Celica. Basically when then car has a cold start it idles really high, like up to about 1500rpm at the most. When the engine warms up it eventually goes down but only to about 1100rpm. I have adjusted the idle and the screw is all the way in, I can't turn it any further. The other problem is that when I start it during the day, even on a cold day it will then idle at about 500-600rpm. But as the temperature gets warmer the idle drops even more. I've got no idea what the problem is, my guess is that it might have something to do with the AFM but I am not sure. From what I have been told there is a thermistor under the bonnet that measures the temperature in the engine bay and will adjust the idle according to how hot the bay is, is this correct?

If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Cheers! Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 09 June 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idle Air Control valve? I'm not sure if the 22RE's have similar issues to the 7M's, but do a little research on that perhaps.

Sorry to be vague Razz
ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 09 June 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 22re and I've messed with a few others.

For starters that screw you're adjusting should not be all the way in. That's your bypass air and you'll want to insure that it's a couple turns open... depends on a few things and I don't recall any of the facts to repeat them... but with everything hot, set the idle to where you're wanting it to idle with that screw. It should be a couple turns open... it's actually supposed to be a measurement, like having it open a certain 'gap' - the computer is trying to take care of everything else and in essence it really isn't intended to be an idle speed adjuster. Messing with it just tends to muddle your driveability of the thing.

Things like A/C when it's engaged bump up the idle. Any air leaks bypassing the throttle plate will increase your idle. Those two hoses running from your power steering pump to the intake, bypass air to increase rpm when required. I personally don't see the point and it's only asking for an old hose to leak...

If you need a tune-up, new plugs whatever - do it. But if all is well, I wouldn't be pointing blame at hard parts like idle air control valves or whatever. Check hoses, check wires. I had a broken wire on mine one time that I didn't find until after I'd been over it visually several times... it was to a tempature sensor and it was all that was wrong even though the problem had me convinced that something more serious had failed.

Good luck, if we wind up discussing it further maybe some more specifics will occur to me to mention...

Kevin

btw: The '85 Celica that I have had didn't hardly idle high when cold at all... but I never really bothered with it. I think the early 22re had an electromagnetic idle air control valve that can be removed and cleaned... the later ones had purely a mechanical one not unlike a thermostat and there isn't much chance it would need servicing...

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 15:37]

guido
Regular

January 2005
icon10.gif  Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 16 June 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I figured that the screw shouldn't be all the way in, that's why I thought that there had to be something wrong.

Actually the A/C doesn't affect the idle speed at all. The A/C is affected by the idle though rather than the other way around. The A/C will get cooler as the rpm increases and goes down again when it decreases. The last owner told me that was what the old models used to do, but looking back on it now it just doesn't seem right.

I've already replaced sparks and injectors and all that stuff, so it would have nothing to do with them at all.

This electromagnetic idle air control, where is it located? Do you have a pic of it anywhere at all? Would it be possible to just get a second hand one and put it in?
guido
Regular

January 2005
icon10.gif  Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 16 June 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I figured that the screw shouldn't be all the way in, that's why I thought that there had to be something wrong.

Actually the A/C doesn't affect the idle speed at all. The A/C is affected by the idle though rather than the other way around. The A/C will get cooler as the rpm increases and goes down again when it decreases. The last owner told me that was what the old models used to do, but looking back on it now it just doesn't seem right.

I've already replaced sparks and injectors and all that stuff, so it would have nothing to do with them at all.

This electromagnetic idle air control, where is it located? Do you have a pic of it anywhere at all? Would it be possible to just get a second hand one and put it in?
guido
Regular

January 2005
icon10.gif  Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 16 June 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ozzy31
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: 22RE idle problems Thu, 21 July 2005 01:54 Go to previous message
I'm not absolutely certain because I've never had this engine apart - never had to become aquainted with it, but unlike the later 22re which I'm more familiar... the following two pics depict what I think is the idle air control valve and it's location... buried underneath the throttle body...

http://www.sunridgeskiracing.com/images/22re_iac2.jpg

http://www.sunridgeskiracing.com/images/22re_iac1.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 21 July 2005 01:55]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v blacktop turbo
Next Topic:help me with gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:40:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00531005859375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar