Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Thu, 09 June 2005 12:28 Go to next message
For those who don't know about this conversion you can see the details at the following page.
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/3sbucket.html

Now I'm just looking into the 1ZZ shimless bucket conversion for myself and doing some measurements etc.

I have ordered and received the largest sized bucket available without ordering from Japahhhhhn (Part: 13751-46370).

Now unfortunately my head is at the engine builders so I can't measure the 3S parts myself, can anyone else post up accurate measurements (esp weight) on the GenII and GenIII buckets + shims?
And I'm not talking about specs stolen from the page mentioned above or ripped from an unknown website. Very Happy

UZZ Bucket specs
Part No: 13751-46370
Weight: 29.09g
Outer Diameter: 30mm*
Inner Diameter: 29mm*
Height: 36mm*
"Shim" to top of bucket: 5.74mm
Marking: 74
*These measurements need to be measured more accurately but I can't find my verniers or micrometer at the moment.

It also appears to have some sort of anti friction coating on the inside of the bucket and the crown.
Can anyone confirm that this is what it is?

Yes I know it is shimless and so calling it a "shim" is incorrect but you guys know the lump of metal I'm on about.

Pics:
http://www.elektranix.com/images/1ZZ-Bucket-Crown.jpg
Sorry the digi cam refused to take a clear picture of the crown for some reason.

http://www.elektranix.com/images/1ZZ-Bucket-Inside.jpg
Note the coating.

http://www.elektranix.com/images/1ZZ-Bucket-Side.jpg
Note the coating showing on the bevelled edges.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2005 06:38]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Thu, 09 June 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The price of the bucket was $20.53 trade so it would set me back $328.48 to change over the whole lot.

I'm thinking its probably not worth it on the GenIII but would like to get measurements before I disband the idea.
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Thu, 09 June 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does this mean that the 1zz buckets will fit in the 3sgte?

i have a gen engine, if i can figure out how to remove the buckets, i can measure them up for ya
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a valve lapping tool (stick with two suction cups) they work sweet for removing the buckets.
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh true,
nah i havent got anything like that, are they just sitting in there? or is there a circlip i have to remove..
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 22:28

UZZ Bucket specs
Outer Diameter: 40mm*

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the OD of the 3SGTE cam buckets is 31mm.
I think they go something like this -
Gen 1 & 2 - 28mm dia
Gen 3 & 4 - 31mm dia
Gen 5 - 33mm dia

That right?
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok,
i just removed one..

how do you want me to measure it up?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 11:06

Toobs wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 22:28

UZZ Bucket specs
Outer Diameter: 40mm*

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the OD of the 3SGTE cam buckets is 31mm.
I think they go something like this -
Gen 1 & 2 - 28mm dia
Gen 3 & 4 - 31mm dia
Gen 5 - 33mm dia

That right?

I'll have to double check the 1ZZ one because I was measuring it at the center of the ruler and could have stuffed up the subtraction.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to be a party pooper TOOBS but a mate has gone down this path and it's not easy and simply not worth the hassle. He found that you had to machine the head to get the clearances right as there aren't the increments required in the shimless buckets and if you are starting with fresh gear and any gaps close up after 500km or so you are stuffed. The weight savings are minimal. In short he ended up scrapping the entire head. Put it down to R&D

Try the shimless conversion as that has been done on Gen IIs using Gen III gear or just use the whole 205 head
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arnt the 3S shim/buckets the same size as the 4A? Some document i have kicking around reckons they are.
If this is the case then the 1SZ shimless buckets will fit as they do on the 4A. This brings the cost down to like $12 per item.

That said, it all depends on those shims/buckets. And im probably completely wrong with them being the same size.
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With these shimmless bucket conversions, am I to understand that they effectivly replace the hyrdaulic lifters with solid units. Eg.: RB26 style?? or something different.

Cheers
Jordan

P.S: Thus you get that tuff rattling sound when reving the engine hard.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 13:33

Sorry to be a party pooper TOOBS but a mate has gone down this path and it's not easy and simply not worth the hassle. He found that you had to machine the head to get the clearances right as there aren't the increments required in the shimless buckets and if you are starting with fresh gear and any gaps close up after 500km or so you are stuffed. The weight savings are minimal. In short he ended up scrapping the entire head. Put it down to R&D

Try the shimless conversion as that has been done on Gen IIs using Gen III gear or just use the whole 205 head

This is the shimless conversion.
The Gen3 is shim under bucket, the Gen2 is shim over bucket.

I just realised that the cams and head have already been removed from that Gen2 engine I got from you so I'll weigh those suckers tonight.

99% likeliness is that I'll write off this idea too, but I figure I've gone this far so I might as well get the measurements to compare.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of cams you planning to run toobs - I fing my g2 shim under swap quite good - and with shim adjustment should handle the 264's without much fuss when they go in
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
280deg intake, 264 exhaust with 8.4mm lift.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Sat, 11 June 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats huge intake cam!
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Sat, 11 June 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

Having also just started this process, I can keep you informed on my progress. I've got the tallest MR2 spyder one ref. in the link above (which incidentally isn't as big as is available in USA) and should have my new cams next week. They are Tighe grinds which have about 10mm of lift but factory duration (good for the restricted rally car).

The MR2 bucket fitted in perfectly in the Gen 2 head...just remains to be seen what sort of shims are required to compensate for the regrind...we are thinking they'll be at least 1.5mm to 2.0mm.

M
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion Sat, 11 June 2005 05:42 Go to previous message
The cams are from Wade and apparently their profiles aren't as agressive as most so they recommend larger duration to compensate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G stuff
Next Topic:Biggest Alternator for 5M-E?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:08:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067598819732666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.