Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
|jay|
Newcomer

June 2005
Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:14 Go to next message
Hi im thinking of buying one of these cars for my first car.. i was thinking of getting the older mx73(i think it is) because the newer one using the 7mge which i heard likes chewing threw head gaskets... and i like the old boxy look of the older cressida for some reason...

how reliable are these cars??? are spare parts expensive and rare??? and is the 2.8 litre stock engine any good or will it cause problems????

also how bad is the 7mge in the newer cressida??? is it as bad as people say???

thanks in advance,
Jerome

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 14:24]

Send a private message to this user    
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're going to get an MX73, try and get a 5MGE or 6MGE (dunno if the 6mge came out in aus... but yeah) as opposed to the 5M-E one.

Trust me, your right foot will be happier (i used to own a 5M-E cressida)

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5M-E and 7M-E are both supra engines.

according to most people on these forums,. the 5M-E (2.8 litre) is not even worth it for a boat anchor.

i dont think an N/A 7M would have an issue with the headgasket at all, the forced induction models would have a problem with them.

besides, if you blow a headgasket, your going to put a 1JZ in its place, arent ya? Wink

Eldar.O.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 10:54

i dont think an N/A 7M would have an issue with the headgasket at all, the forced induction models would have a problem with them.

In the cressida community it seems the N/A 7MGE's are just as head gasket happy as the forced induction 7M's. Crying or Very Sad

But once fixed and fixed properly, it seems rare people have problems.

Except for some people (one guy on the cressida forum has changed head gaskets five times i think?)

btw EldarO its 7M-GE.

there's the 5M-E and 5M-GE. The 5M-GE is good.

the 5M-E is alright... its just not very fast

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2005 01:05]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO, try not to answer a question you obviously know nothing about.

7M-E's don't exist Rolling Eyes

Yes the 5M-E and 7M-GE are in Supra's but thats really of no relavance.

No the 7MGE isn't any less prone to blowing headgaskets as the 7MGTE.
It was a factory fuckup and they didn't torque the heads down enough.

If you fix it PROPERLY they will never come back. If you do it dodgily they will blow again within no time (could be a few months to a couple of years). Problem is mechanics don't realise this, and they just rip the head off and pop a new gasket on.
The 7M needs more treatment than this.

As for having one, they are a great car. Genuine parts are quite expensive, but far from rare. There are plenty of wrecks around to get parts from too.
Not much goes wrong, but its rarely a cheap fix when it does.
By now most need new suspension, and a full drivetrain rebuild.
I spent about 3k on mine in the first year (springs, shocks, diff, gearbox, engine) and then only did oil and water for the next 3 years.

Any more specific questions just ask. Also search, there are a lot of answer here. And visit http://www.thermactor.com/forum
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i buaght my supra with 7mgte, first thing i did was check the headbolts. A few of them were so loose i could unscrew then with my fingers. (not impressed as the headgasket was replaced by toyota from the previous owner a few months before i buaght it, they obviously only torqed the bolts to what the service manual said)

I simply re-torqued all the headbolts down to 68ft pounds instead of the 54ft-pounds that the service manual lists)

It's been 2 years and i'm boosting fine with no signs of a blown headgasket, and the headbolts haven't budged a bees dick.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 10:54

5M-E and 7M-E are both supra engines.

according to most people on these forums,. the 5M-E (2.8 litre) is not even worth it for a boat anchor.

besides, if you blow a headgasket, your going to put a 1JZ in its place, arent ya? Wink

Eldar.O.

lol... is it possible that you could get any more facts wrong? Here's a couple of things you forgot to say... The 7MGZE was made by Ford and the word Cressida means "pineapple" in Swahili. Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everything ive heard on these forums about the whole 5M line has been bad.

i didnt even know a 5M-GE existed, thank you for letting me know Smile

and i *assumed* that higher pressure in the cylinders (moreso from forced induction) was what caused blowing the headgasket.

I will leave this thread alone.

Eldar.O.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought an MX73 GLXi with a 5mge in it a couple of months ago for an interim car till my celsior got here, its quite a good car, the 5mge has a decent amount of power and its not too bad on fuel. Once the Celsior is on the road this will be for sale Smile.
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
icon14.gif  Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are good cars, i havnt had a problem with bhg problems, i think the cars allready had one, they got a new engine from japan, im assuming with it fixed proplery. they can be quick cars, but get ready for the fuel gauge to fall like a brick. they are heavy cars, but hold the road well.
also dont expect any 2nd looks from the law, ive been pulled over once for a "random" breah test once sence i got it in november last year.

other then that they are good cars. i know someone who has a mx73 with a "cracked head" and they still drive it everyday.

if you have any questions about mx83's ask me and i should be able to answer them.

paul
|jay|
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies...

it all depends if i get my p's before july 11th... ivew been lazy and im nearly 20.... if i dont get em before then i wouldnt be able to drop a 1jz gte in for 3 years.....

and how do you know which one had the 5mge in the older cressida?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2005 11:33]

paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
book in a get them, its pretty simple if you know all the right things to do... you could find a cressida allready modded if you look. im pretty sure there will be the model on the enginge, like there is for the mx83, with 7mge. im not 100% about that though
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5MGE
http://server.oldversion.com/~admin24/files/pages/MX73/MX73engine.jpg

5ME
http://server.oldversion.com/~admin24/files/pages/MX62/MX62engine.jpg

massive 5ME pic

7MGE pic

For information on all models of Cressida click here
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love the look of the 5MGE. Looks tough.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 21:54

5MGE
http://server.oldversion.com/~admin24/files/pages/MX73/MX73engine.jpg

5ME
http://server.oldversion.com/~admin24/files/pages/MX62/MX62engine.jpg

massive 5ME pic

7MGE pic

For information on all models of Cressida click here

Then once you have looked at all those, you put one of these in:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Yian/DSC00546.jpg
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Fri, 10 June 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 7MGTE! Very Happy
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STAY AWAY FROM 7M!!!!!!!!! Mad Yian... don't give him stupid ideas. Go 1J or NA 2J. That is all. Wink
|jay|
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not a 2jz gte Evil or Very Mad

basically my plan is to get a grande then in about a years time once i save enough money drop a 1jzgte in....
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 12:14

STAY AWAY FROM 7M!!!!!!!!! Mad Yian... don't give him stupid ideas. Go 1J or NA 2J. That is all. Wink

Haha. You and your 7M's... if time factor is not an issue in your conversion, might as well go 1jz or even 2jz. 7M conversion would just be the quickest and cheapest thats all. Basically drop it and drive away.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 17:22

SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 12:14

Haha. You and your 7M's... if time factor is not an issue in your conversion, might as well go 1jz or even 2jz. 7M conversion would just be the quickest and cheapest thats all. Basically drop it and drive away.

Don't you do the wiring on your engines?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 18:31

Don't you do the wiring on your engines?

Yer. Splicing the loom from the 7MGTE to the 5ME took me a grand total of around 5-6 hours altogether.

EDIT: Splicing the loom of the 7MGTE to a car running a 5ME... that probably made more sense

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 09:43]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you're cleverer than I. Very Happy
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sat, 11 June 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh. I had step by step instructions. Didn't stop me from botching up the wiring and not being able to start the car though. Almost tore out all my hair.. but then it all came down to me forgetting to plug in one of the ignition plugs. Embarassed
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Toyota cressida's.. ANy problems with them? Sun, 12 June 2005 01:25 Go to previous message
http://www.reanimotion.com/ToyMods/WhatGoesWrong.h tm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:the toyota concept car ad
Next Topic:i now know the value of $100
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 09:31:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088889598846436 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.