Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 02:35 Go to next message
I know i have posted this sort of thing before but as people say ask as many questions as you can...

I am looking at the possibility of removing my 1G-GUE out of the Z10 and putting in a 1G-GTE from the Z20. I have been told that all i will need to do is swap the sumps on the motors and it will go in a treat.

I am looking at keeping my box as the other motor is auto (i have also been told you can run a auto ECU in a manual without much trouble). The web says that i have a W55 or something box and the Z20's came with a W58. is there any difference and should i be concerned?

Also i have pretty big 4 wheel disks as the early soarers came with turbos. will i have to change them?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 10:35

I am looking at the possibility of removing my 1G-GUE out of the Z10 and putting in a 1G-GTE from the Z20. I have been told that all i will need to do is swap the sumps on the motors and it will go in a treat.

Essentially yes, once you've done this, it should bolt straight to your factory mounts and bolt right in. I had to slightly modify my fuel filter bracket to mount it to the block like factory.

I am looking at keeping my box as the other motor is auto (i have also been told you can run a auto ECU in a manual without much trouble). The web says that i have a W55 or something box and the Z20's came with a W58. is there any difference and should i be

The W58 is often referred to as slightly stronger, but there isn't much difference between an early W58 and a W55/57, aside from ratios. That said, I can't see the 1G giving your W55 any trouble, although you may get sick of the gearing, just ask Hydra Wink

Also i have pretty big 4 wheel disks as the early soarers came with turbos. will i have to change them?

Your brakes are the same size as an MA61. While not entirely necessary to upgrade them, I would at the very least put some decent pads and fluid in to maximise how well they work.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The most important thing is not to tell your other mates that you're doing this... so then the next time you take them for a ride in your car they get the shock of their life Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 11:18

Your brakes are the same size as an MA61. While not entirely necessary to upgrade them, I would at the very least put some decent pads and fluid in to maximise how well they work.

Be warned they may be smaller brakes.
Either the same as MX62 or MX73.
But not all Z10's are the same as MA61
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo

Agree with you 100%. i didn't want to tell the ALSC guys so i can turn up to the next cruise and show them my new found power, but i am trying to get all the info i can so i have a post there hinting at this fact. But yes i am only telling people that need to know so i can get parts or info from them. I am trying to keep my GF out of it, that will be fun Evil or Very Mad

Also this is probably a really stupid question but i want to be 100% sure. to swap sumps you just undo the bolts around the "catchment" (sump) that hold it in and swap the sump with the other motor ? do i need new gaskets and stuff?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 12:07

Also this is pr0848ly 4 r34lly 57up1d qu35710n 8u7 1 w4n7 70 83 100% 5ur3. 70 5w4p 5ump5 y0u ju57 und0 7h3 80l75 4r0und the "catchment" (sump) that hold it in and swap the sump with the other motor ? do i need new gaskets and stuff?

You need to undo the sump bolts, take it off and CLEAN all the surfaces really well and remove all the old sealant. Then give it a new layer of sump gasket goo, careful attention to the little indents and make sure it goes all around the bolts, but not too thick. you have to swap the oil pickup too, and make sure you do that up tight...unlike Nark Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would highly recommend getting new oil pickup gaskets. When I swapped sumps on 1j that was the cause for low oil pressure. Put in new gasket for $3 and all was good Very Happy

BTW I am on ALSC also Razz
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and frank. the gearing? Is it higher or lower? if my motor needs to do more revolutions the others to get the same speed (thats what i understood from your post). I would be happy with that man. when i take people for a drive to show them my new found power i don't want to tell them what has happened, i want to be able to punch it when we are cruising in second and for it to light up the rears wheels. i have an open diff (with 205 tires) so i think this would be possible. i would be happy if i could.

I am not one to do excessive speeds (as the smallest thing at 180kmh could very well take out you and your car) so i would not really mind if i have a lower top speed. Plus my 1/4 time should be alot better then my last run of 17.705 lol.

I am also out to make a nice sleeper, so i am just after good acceleration to shock people that my "old car" is not what they expect. it also weighs around 1100kgs Very Happy
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know chris a few people are Shhhhhh!

Am i gonna find oil pickup stuff or is it going to be like finding water pumps???
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 12:19

Am i gonna find oil pickup stuff or is it going to be like finding water pumps???

What you mean finding oil pickup stuff?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 12:16

and frank. the gearing? Is it higher or lower? if my motor needs to do more revolutions the others to get the same speed (thats what i understood from your post). I would be happy with that man. when i take people for a drive to show them my new found power i don't want to tell them what has happened, i want to be able to punch it when we are cruising in second and for it to light up the rears wheels. i have an open diff (with 205 tires) so i think this would be possible. i would be happy if i could.

This description is correct, dunno about it just lighting up like that, I do have a working LSD and only 7psi though Razz As for the sleeper factor, just don't get it on boost before then, because they WILL hear 1G turbos Razz
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was told they run 10psi stock? did you modify it to get 7 or have i been told lies?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 12:26

i was told they run 10psi stock? did you modify it to get 7 or have i been told lies?

I'm assuming my Blitz BAG turbos were original Gen1 turbos.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ring toyota now and order the gasket and o-ring as it will take a couple of weeks from japan most likely. Mine did anyway.

If he has been using his W55 up until now, I don't think he will mind its gearing as there is nothing to compare against anyway Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and gen 2 runs at 9 psi

ideally you'd want to get a gen 2 or 3 engine Smile more powah

and frank is right,

You WILL hear the 1G-GTE turbos. They are quite pronounced!
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although that gearing thing does explain why i don't seem to get anywhere in first. i seem to always change gears earlier then everyone else and slow up the traffic. but that could just be the way i drive Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gearing is a pain for street driving, but it's great in the hills!

The two small snails make a very distinct sound, especially pushing 15psi Smile
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in what way HyDrA?

Because your always going 4/5? can i get a little more detail?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4th and 5th are very close together, and 1st is way too short (when talking about street driving).

In the hills I have found myself rev matching to shift into 1st a few times, there are some tight corners in the adelaide hills!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G stuff Fri, 10 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, I have a W55 gearbox, came with my 1G-GE GA61.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1G stuff Sat, 11 June 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 09:15

there are some tight corners in the adelaide hills!!

oh yes there are Wink

ngcpdr sounds lke you are really keen for the 1G powaz, being manual your car will move quite well, my GZ20 was no total slug but ran a 15.4 in auto form, you haveing a much lighter car and manual should see your vehicle in the 14 second bracket.

good luck with it
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: 1G stuff Sat, 11 June 2005 06:21 Go to previous message
thanks people yeah i am keen. i still live at home (yeah i know, but i am a student) and the last engine conversion i did left large oil stains on both garage floors so i thought my parents wouldn't like me doing another one but my dad seems pretty keen so looks like its a goer. got to get my thesis outa the way first though. should be starting in about 2 weeks hopefully. just working out everything involved and how much it will all cost atm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nova to AE92 Front End Conversion?
Next Topic:3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 08:38:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071051120758057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.