Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Widebody Camry oil leak Fri, 10 June 2005 04:26 Go to next message
Hi all,

I have a auto Widebody 96 model Camry.

It has developed a oil leak that comes from the drain on the bellhousing, it appears to be coming from the diff.
The only manual i have is a Gregorys one and it does not do a break down view of the auto transmission.
I need to get a picture like an illustrated parts catalogue or something so i can figure out how its leaking out.

Can anyone help or has any suggestions because the oil leak is getting quite serious.

Cheers

JAson
  Send a private message to this user    
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Widebody Camry oil leak Fri, 10 June 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dip your finger in it and sniff it and see if it is trans fluid or motor oil.
If its what i'm thinking it could be your rear seal might be phucked and if it is your back pocket will be phucked after woulds. Cause the motor and trans will have to come out so that a $20 seal can be replaced.
Make sure that you keep an eye on your oil and trans fluid levels. If the oil level is getting low it'll be the rear seal.
Mr*Beach
Regular

October 2002
Re: Widebody Camry oil leak Sat, 11 June 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear main oil seals going on widebodys are pretty common. There are two things you can do. Pay someone to do it for you or if you dont mind getting a bit dirty you can do it yourself. The motor doesnt need to come out. If you are tricky you can undo the gearbox from the motor and leave it sitting on the subframe inside the passenger wheel well or the easier way is to brace the motor and drop the whole subframe. Sounds like a big job but its only about 8-10 17mm and 19mm bolts. The last time i did one at work it was about 3 hours labour ($75 an hour) and the price of the seal. I've also done one of these in my driveway so it can be done without a hoist. Hope this helps.

~Josh
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Widebody Camry oil leak Mon, 13 June 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the response guys.

Im pretty sure that the leak is coming from the diff as it is the only level that goes down. So what i need is an exploded parts view of the auto transmission so i can figure out how and where exactly it could be leaking through to the bell housing and on to the ground.

My main reason is to figure out if i need to see if i have to find another box instead of just pulling out the transmission and pulling it apart to fix the leak.

Cheers
Jas
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Widebody Camry oil leak Tue, 14 June 2005 00:56 Go to previous message
my dad's widebody camry's rear main went not long ago. midars charged him 400ish.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Levin AE86 rust repair..
Next Topic:3y engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:30:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004641056060791 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.