Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Biggest Alternator for 5M-E?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 03:28 Go to next message
Hey All,

What is the biggest alternator that I could install without any modifications to the bracket to my 5M?

I could only find a 70amp one but that only lasted me 14 months Sad

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF are you doing to them?
They should last 15+years, not months.

That said a 1UZ 100AMP one should bolt on with very little bracket mods.
I know it plugs into a 5MGE loom.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a AU Thermofans, Foglights, Sound System, Amp and Sub... I think it's the Thermofans which killed the alternator as I have got a drycell battery... The Stock 65amp Alternator coped before I got the Thermofans but now can't cope with the demand of the Thermofans, even if the foglights and sound system (inc. amp and sub) has been disconnected from the battery Sad

I got a quote for AUD$400 for a 80amp Nippondenso Alternator but realistly... It's too much Sad considering I have spent a bucket load on the car in the past month on brakes and still trying to solve my petrol problem (only averaging 150kms of local [grandma aka mum] driving to a full tank) still. So Yeah... I am stuck...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your thermo fans should be on very rarely.
Mine only come on if I remain under 30kph for more than 5 mins, or stationary for more than 3mins.
And even then they are only on for about a minute.

Any more than this and you have radiator blocked problems, or they are set incorrectly.

Mine have been on for probably 45 mins in total over the last 6 months.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My engine doesn't over heat and yes, i have a new radiator with a new engine, gearbox and diff Confused the temp rises to about a half and drops to a bar below half way all the time like the car had when it was running the clutch fan. I did have it a higher (engine operating at half a bar) but was too hot to my liking...

*Engrish

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 04:22]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thing is though, I can't drive the car at night as the alternator light on the dash lights up all the time... but in the daytime... I can drive it as long as I don't use my sound system, foglights and normal driving lights.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Half way is normal. (where that little arrow is)

How often are your thermo's on?
Do they ever come on while driving?
How long while sitting idle before they come on?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They come on when the car is usually sitting in the one spot for too long... No other time... As for knowing if the fans come on when driving, I don't think so... As the temprature doesn't go above 1 bar below half when driving...

Cheers.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like your thermo's are not the problem.
Your stereo won't be either, nor the lights.

Is that alternator rebuilt 14months ago? or just replaced?
I'd say you have a fucked one.

Your load isn't that great, and a rebuilt alternator should be able to do it standing on its head.
I had mine rebuilt 5 years ago, and it was still running perfect when I pulled it out.
Its had amps/thermos/lights for 5 years.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude what are you doing ?
Running a welder off it or something i've never heard of anything like that !
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was a new 70amp Alternator... Which I doubt it would be a dud one otherwise it should have died ealier.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get it checked.

No new alternator is going to die in 14months.
Unless it gets water damaged or oil damaged.

Infact, have your whole electrical system checked too.

Something is fo shizzled.
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the exact same situation as you!!! My Cressida's alternator was not up to the job and was thinking about replacing it before i blew the motor. I put a new motor in with a new alternator and im having the same problems. I just thought it was because i was being silly asking too much of the battery and that, but a lot of people have told me that it "should" still be ok...
My car doesn't have foglights but when i'm driving with my headlights on the decent stereo and sub going, if i have the vent fan on and the wipers, then as soon as i go to touch one more thing such as, the brakes for instance (brake lights coming on) or try to put down a window (power windows) the stereo will switch off momentarily until i turn off something or take my foot off the brake/stop the window. And i dont even Have a thermo fan! I thought it was just too many things at once but people have been telling me it should still cope so i dunno. PLUS all this was BEFORE i installed the TV and playstation2 in the car aswell... now i've got no chance.

Any suggestions anyone? I thought putting in a big 55D23L out of a lexus would do the trick but its still not quite upto the job, much better than before but still not perfect. I was thinking maybe i needed to go back to the big lead-acid old-style battery not the new lexus/camry style ones, apparently they need a more constant and higher recharging voltage than the older style batteries. Any help and confirming or denying of these theories would be greatly appreaciated!

André
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE FACTORY ALTERNATOR IN GOOD CONDITION IS FINE.
YOU HAVE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you saying there might be something wrong other than the alertnator ?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Thu, 09 June 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 17:38

THE FACTORY ALTERNATOR IN GOOD CONDITION IS FINE.
YOU HAVE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

Wha, really? Razz

I agree with andrew, you have problems. The first place I would be checking is the big cable that goes directly from the alternator to the battery. If this cable has excessive resistance you'll get a large voltage drop across it when trying to draw larger currents (under heavy load).

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same goes for battery to body earth, battery to block earth, and block to body earth.
They all have to be in good condition.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK all, Today I replaced battery terminals today, the body earth with new wires and redid the positive terminal. Question is, How do you replace the big cable that goes from the battery to the alternator? Which wire is it? (This is new to me)
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh... How do you test the resistance of the battery to alternator wire?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 16:30

OK all, Today I replaced battery terminals today, the body earth with new wires and redid the positive terminal. Question is, How do you replace the big cable that goes from the battery to the alternator? Which wire is it? (This is new to me)

For want of another way to put it....it's the big one. Look for something going straight from the positive terminal to the top of the alternator.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 16:31

Oh... How do you test the resistance of the battery to alternator wire?

Disconnect it and connect a multimeter to each end.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 18:38

For want of another way to put it....it's the big one. Look for something going straight from the positive terminal to the top of the alternator.

From the Haynes Book, the (Charge Wire) I presume it's one of the connections to the fusable links?
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To check the resistance in the line from the alt->batt, check the volts from where the wire starts at the alt, to where it ends at the + terminal. I.E. have the black probe from the mulitmeter on the lug comming out of the alt, and have the red probe on the terminal. and current (voltage reading) will indicate a current drop across the line (i.e. the electricity is going through the multimeter because of the resistance in the wire).

You can also use this method to check all connections, such as the earth straps etc. just check for voltage across the connection, if the multimeter shows any volts then you can probably fix the connection up.

Tim.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 16:44

justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 18:38

From the Haynes Book, the (Charge Wire) I presume it's one of the connections to the fusable links?

Seriously dude, it's a big f'ing cable. You can't mistake it for any of the other couple going to the alternator. Especially because the other ones will all be attached to the plug.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I mean is on the battery side Embarassed

I know about the alternator side....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 17:55

I don't follow bud, if you know the alternator side, just trace it to the battery side. It's the thickest cable coming off the alternator, and it should run straight to the positive terminal of the battery.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Fri, 10 June 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 18:03

ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 17:55

I don't follow bud, if you know the alternator side, just trace it to the battery side. It's the thickest cable coming off the alternator, and it should run straight to the positive terminal of the battery.

Through the ALT fuse
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Sat, 11 June 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just checked the wire from the Alternator to Battery lead and it came up with .000 Ohms on the digital meter (With the battery disconnected) so when I touch the +ve and -ve probes together I get the same reading as well so I presume there is zero resistance on that lead... I knew it wasn't the lead from the battery to the alternator that was not giving me trouble but nothing wrong in checking...

So back to the thread. Does anyone know of an alternator that would fit without any modifications on a alternator bracket of a 5M-E?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Biggest Alternator for 5M-E? Sat, 11 June 2005 03:48 Go to previous message
RA28 wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 19:10

To check the resistance in the line from the alt->batt, check the volts from where the wire starts at the alt, to where it ends at the + terminal. I.E. have the black probe from the mulitmeter on the lug comming out of the alt, and have the red probe on the terminal. and current (voltage reading) will indicate a current drop across the line (i.e. the electricity is going through the multimeter because of the resistance in the wire).

You can also use this method to check all connections, such as the earth straps etc. just check for voltage across the connection, if the multimeter shows any volts then you can probably fix the connection up.

Tim.

There was no voltage drop from battery to alternator lug...

Thanks for tip though Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-GTE Shimless Bucket Conversion
Next Topic:red & blue top 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 09:22:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006162166595459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.