Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
4age for dune buggy conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 07:39 Go to next message
to start i'd like to first say i know close to nothing about the 4a family engines.... so bare with me please

anyhow, i have access to a dune buggy without an engine and was hoping to get it up and running for some paddock bashing fun.... it currently has a transaxle fitted (probably a veedub) but needs an engine to run it....

i was hoping for something small and decent and figured my best option was to go with a 4a engine.... now this is only to get it up and running as cheaply as possible.... so i really want to keep it away from efi... so it would be prefable to run a carby engine....

years ago i had a 4ac equipped sprinter... went ok... but for this thing, i would like just a touch more torque...

here's my question... were there ever any carby fed twin cam 4a's??

if no, how hard would it be to make a bigport carby fed???

thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4age for dune buggy conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4ag is used alot in offroader racing. cheap! get a 100kw or a 4agze supercharged with box/driveshafts,harness and computer. for what you want a frontcut would be the way to go as you will get driveshafts and radiator etc etc.your looking around the $1200 mark for a 100kw or $2200 or so for gze frontcut.
mick
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4age for dune buggy conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's 4afc's in carby, as far as I know that's the only twin cam 4a motor that was carby fed. Mind you it's an economy motor with a narrow head. You would be able to pick up a 4afc for next to nothing, if price is an issue.

4ag's have been turned into carb for racing purposes in japan, I don't know much about them, I think they ran twin webbers with trumpets. A search should bring up something. This would be the much more pricey way to go.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age for dune buggy conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's just a paddock basher for a bit of a laugh, why not just put a VW engine in? Sure, it wouldn't have as much power as the 4A, but it'll be pretty checp, and bolt up... You don't need that much power to scare the cattle Razz

Tim.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: 4age for dune buggy conversion Fri, 10 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen one that someone rigged the old mistsubishi asrton engine to. when questioned over why such a welll... crap motor. the owner bacailly replied with "they cop abuse, just keep pouring oil as what tey dont burn they piss everywhere. And wreckers pretty much want to give the boat anchors away"

he pretty much replaced it every few months and chucked the old one.. this was being flogged on the beach so it was in a pretty harsh evnironment,.
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: 4age for dune buggy conversion Sat, 11 June 2005 00:15 Go to previous message
thanks for the replies...

now, does anyone know off the top of their heads what the specs of the 4afc are???

anyhow, if they exist, i can't see why it would be so hard to convert a bigport into carby fed...

also, the reason i wont use a vw motor even though it is lighter and smaller, is because i need at least the 100hp mark to use on my other "toy".... the engine would be used to drive a thrust prop.... and it aint a plane, hehe....

basically, i'll be making a mount where i can quickly swap it between the buggy and the other machines i have around...

thanks again for the replies.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:POWER STEERING FOR AW11
Next Topic:Corolla Auto Trans Info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 11:15:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041000843048096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.