Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 June 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate, thanks for the PM too matt ! yeh only had scrubbin on the front around a corner on the guards, am gonna look into rolling em !!!! thanks for the advice , wat styles do you recon i should go , previously had chromes ( see piccy ) ? !!
  Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 June 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 09:55

warrior wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 23:12

well guys i put my car for sale on the forum and jorrs snapped it up in 11 minutes Shocked .

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=71125&rid=5064&S=2b7dbb4c0633d93b07ac375 fbd7fb955

put a deposit on it electronically and will pick it up this weekend Sad , i still havent run the turbo in. really sad to see her go, but its for the best. i will be getting another st162 very soon. afterall i do have a life time supply of parts for them Razz . will keep you guys posted on the outcome, but today is a sad day. (for me anyway)

Karl

well thanks for TELLING ME! Mad

Wink sad day dude hope your doing alright! Smile

sorry dude, it was a spur of the moment thing,
we had great times doing the conversion,
and our garlic breath made it harder to get it started. Laughing

I'm still pinching myself, the car is going on Sunday Sad

I don't think you will gain much by upgrading your rear
calipers and rotors to gt4, and seeing your car is N/A,
I really don't see the benefit of upgrading the fronts either.

you can run a 17X7 with 35 offset on the rear,
but unfortunately u cant on the front cause they will rub,
the optimum wheel size would be 17X7 with 40 offset,
but i wouldn't recommend to go any larger than 205/40/17
so that you don't throw off your speedo.

Karl (in denial)
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 June 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im runing 17 x 7.5" with 215/40/R17 and i have no rubbing isues what so ever. I am not totally sure on offset but the wheels either came off a euro car or a rex. Their is also no space at all between the rear struts and wheels. I say around 2-3mm of space.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 June 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a jaycar kit for $120, installed it, was quiet easy. Very very handy.
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 June 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry nick, but i think i will take rob's remote entry if'n'when he wants to pull it out Wink
Thanks for the offer! Gimme a shout when you get it done mate.. no real rush.. and we'll organise it the send then Very Happy
Buying new... im not sure if it's really gonna be worth spending $150++ for it.

But the SX power locks install from a wrecker will be a good idea. I'll try and chase some down soon and see how much they will let em go for Wink

While i'm there ill chase around gt4 side bits hehe
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey Fellas,

Took the car for a very very hard drive round a track, and the front wheels do scrub on the gards, but its only the front drivers side.

Im getting new springs/shocks in the next 2 weeks, see if that makes a difference, if not can someone explain to me whats involved when you "roll the guards"

Cheers
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intercooler is on and running Very Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Andrew8502/FMside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Andrew8502/FMfront.jpg

Money shot... Wink
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi ppl !

im new to the st162 club - i bought my car only two weeks and a half weeks ago

i luv it

ive already organised for a transplant to a gen 2 3sge - (can't help myself ive got the bug - had it for bout 4 years with every car ive owned - have to mod it in some way)

this is an AWESOME site - one of the best ive ever seen

look forward to sharing my ideas and knowledge and learning a whole heap from you guys

some stats on my car:

88 st162 SX Celica 2.0l gen 1 3sge
Totally stock motor for now
3sfe 5 speed gearbox (was done before i got it and only found out last week that it has this - physical inspection only not internal yet - will let u know - but i can tell u from now that at 110km/h in 5th gear it sits on 2600 or 2700 rpm - excellent for fuel hehe )

has lovell lowered springs and monroe shocks in the struts

i have already upgraded my sound system: cd player, kenwood 6x9s (high pass - came with the car so dont rant please), some cheapo 5.25" co-ax up front (also came with car), 2 Cerwin Vega 12" Subs getting 300wrms each Laughing - all run off two amps - one 2x150wrms and one 4 x 100wrms - and a 450cca battery - 4 gauge wiring

took me bout 6 hours to install and run this setup

plans are pretty hefty - i think this is enuff from me

cheers
Mick
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, welcome! Very Happy Sounds like a bit of a beast you're building there! Any idea why they swapped it for the FE box? Not that it matters, you'll just save money when doing the conversion.

Aust162 - lookin' hot! Got pics of the piping? Now you'll have to move your number plate off the the side ey?
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey aust162, nice front mount, wat gen 3sgte do u have ?
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Front Mount man! Smile good job!
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 June 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 - good job, looks great! How does it feel to drive now? I do have one question for you - where's the plastic trim under your passenger headlight??

Mick, welcome along mate and welcome also to the joys of ST162 ownership! Sounds like you have some nice little plans in store for your car, looking forward to following that. Post up some pics of your ride if you get the chance.

-Matt
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the warm welcome

definitely will be taking pics and stuff

here's the plans:

* gen2 3sge from sw20 mr2, gen 2 ECU and loom, with mr2 lsd (picking all this up this weekend) - ive been told motor needs rear main seal (id change it anyway when changing motors), rocker cover gasket, sump gasket and dizzy seal (??? never heard of a dizzy seal before but i dunno - gonna check it out myself)

i will then be adding:

* Custom tuned length 4-2-1 extractors (making myself from mandrel bent 3mm thick mild steel) with flanged collectors

*Cold Air Induction

*Full 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust with Hi Flow Cat and magnaflow straight through muffler (no resonator)

* Daikin Heavy Duty clutch

* Full tune

im doing all the work myself - with some help from my brother at his workshop with sitting the new motor in.

im hoping this goes alright - ETA for completion of entire thing is in one month's time hopefully - cant afford to have it sitting for long (i have another project soaking up my time - 10 sec car hopefully Very Happy )

and sorry for the ignorance but can i ask how and why it will save me money with the FE gearbox?? - i think u mean its cos of higher gearing so lower revs = less fuel Surprised

anyway - thanx for the support and ill keep you all updated
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments guys Smile

Wombat- nfi where i'm gonna put my number plate atm.right now its back in the standard location, but i'm not happy with it.it blocks SOO much of the intercooler.

Jorrs- its a gen2 out of a sw20 mr2.congrats on the pickup of warrior's car Smile

Matt- everyone asks about the plastic cover. Razz i removed it because i have a CAI pipe running from under there,so in theory its ment to get me more air..
i might put it back on thou,because everyone reckons it looks like i've been in a crash or something.lol

The car spools up quicker with MORE intake noise Wink Little bit more lag, nothing major at all though.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd save money because you wouldn't have to buy another gearbox with the new motor - the original 3SG S53 box can only (safely) be used behind a Gen 1 3SG, but it sounds like you got another gearbox anyway so it doesn't matter! LSD... mmmmm

Are you doing the wiring yourself? I've heard there's a little bit more mucking around getting an MR2 motor going in a celica - things like brackets that are the wrong way around, the pulleys only have 4 teeth as opposed to 5 on the celica... I'm sure you'll nut it out!

trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get ya now - cheers Smile

my plan was to use the gen2 long motor, inlet manifold and injectors\sensors\etc etc, but use my original celica pulleys, brackets, starter motor etc - what other problems do you know of that i may encounter?

im still doing my research on problems to expect or will encounter before even trying to put the motor in so anyone who has done this conversion i would greatly appreciate any help
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I can't believe how straight and neat your car is AuST162! Looks awesome, totally unlike my car Embarassed

Oh - nice intercooler too I s'pose hehehe
sanj
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,
I don't currently own a st162(sorry!) but i am looking at purchasing one and was wondering what u guys think. I suppose that u guys actually owning them would be the best people to give me some advice. The specs as far as I know are as follows :

-86' Celica sx
-The car is in good condition. It has 360,000 kls on the clock, but has a dropped in imported engine from japan (new motor had 50,000 klms on it) at 300,000. The new engine has only travelled 110,000

-Remote central locking
-car alarm
-immobilizer
-Power steering and mirrors
-17in mags with low profile tyres
-5 speed manual
-Very dark tinted windows
-Lowered
-S/s exhaust (2.25in)
Large cannon muffler
-Extractors
-High flow cat
-Pod filter
-Spotlights
-Very clean interior
-Sports steering wheel
-Sports gear knob and boot cover

-Stereo includes: JVC mp3 player with remote control
-4 x 12in kicker subs in the boot in a pyramid shaped box
-pair of 4in speakers in the front with spilts
-Sony amplifier
-pair of 7x10 speakers in rear tray

Here are some pics :
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil\Desktop\5c_1_b.jpg-
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil\Desktop\a6_1_b.jpg-
C:\Documents and Settings\Sunil\Desktop\b1_1_b.jpg-

The seller is asking for $ 5500.. do you guys think that it is worth it?
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi mate

yeah looks well worth it i reckon

i bought my one a few weeks ago (see above)for very very cheap Laughing (a third of that asking price there)

but that has a lot of work done to it so would be fair nuff - try get the person down to 5000 - itd be a good deal then

good luck
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey piccies don't work for me Sad
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds abit like my car, good price as well, definately worth it,
sanj
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry the pics dont work.. how do i get them to work?
the pics are only pics of the exterior, ill try and get some of the interior as well. Thanks guys
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sanj wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 14:45

sorry the pics dont work.. how do i get them to work?
the pics are only pics of the exterior, ill try and get some of the interior as well. Thanks guys

You need to host the pics on the web somewhere and put a link to them in your message. I use www.photobucket.com for mine. You aren't able to simply upload them from your hard drive on this forum. Give it a go!
sanj
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks matt.
here are the pics guys

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/sanjivg2005/b1_1_b.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/sanjivg2005/a6_1_b.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/sanjivg2005/5c_1_b.jpg

Im thinking respray because I personally dont like the colour. I was thinking pearl black... what do you guys think?
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i say throw the standard rear wing on and paint it same colour as the car is at the moment

looks HOT !!

grab it if for 5k

mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's a pretty nice buy i'd say Smile
5k flat is better, but 5.5k is still ok!

I'd be wary of just how many kms the import engine had on it before it was imported. It is legal to wind the speedo back over there >_<
But otherwise, quite a good buy indeed!

Definately get yourself a stock rear wing. Wink and for the colour.. its alrite as it is.. pearl black would be.. unusual...
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$5500 is too high IMO. Keep in mind there's still 360k's on the chassis. Without those mods it'd be worth <$3000 easily. I'd probly pay $4000 max. Obviously somebody has loved this car, and is selling it for a reason. Get it checked out first. Wink
sanj
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey squashed wombat,

The reason the car is for sale is that the owner lost their license 2 years ago and moved overseas (apparently). I suppose the reason why the car is for sale then is because the owner has decided to stay overseas instead of coming home. I should mention that it is his brother that is selling the car for him. I plan on getting a RACQ mastercheck before i even think about purchasing it. Thanks for the advice though - ill think about it - another point of veiw is always appreciated

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 09:32]

Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow dude im impressed...

what length primary and secondary extractor piping are you using...

using the 3sfe gearbox would be much cheaper for you Smile even more so if i buy the mr2 lsd off you Very Happy

but im very interested in this project, i added you to msn if thats okay Smile

hopefully talk to you soon
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had no problems with pulleys on the gen 2 motor at all, the biggest mechanical hurdle i encountered was re drilling the holes on the gen 1 flywheel to suit the gen 2 motor bolt pattern.

Mick if you need any info on the gen 2 motor swap gimme a yell, i can do my best to give you any help with anything but wiring, mine runs a microtech and i paid an electrician to install it!

id be interested in there custom extractors youre building it that all goes well!

Aust162, love the front mount!

Cheers
Steve
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve! Howyagoin!? Long time no see!

trd3sg - If you need a few pointers on the wiring I can help you out. There's probly someone closer to you that would be able to come around and give you a hand too. It'd be nice to see a few more N/A conversions around! Go the N/A brigade! Evil or Very Mad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, long time no see. Surely most of you remember my car.

Just letting you know

if you know of anyone who is interested in Buying a ST162 turbo, let me know, or let them know about mine, I have dropped the price as I kinda need the cash, looking for $6000ono. see my sig for details.

Peace out, ooh and Rob we need to catch up oneday been a long time Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 22:48

Peace out, ooh and Rob we need to catch up oneday been a long time Smile

tell me about it.. freaking ages! Gotta make a trip down south me thinks Wink

and btw, Wiso's car is the real deal and a bargain price too! I can't believe it hasn't sold... Neutral
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i reckon Rob,

I am amazed as well, but I really need to get rid of it as I have written my AW11 off and i need the money to buy another AW11... sorry i just love them too much, can never go back to the 162 brigade Neutral
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 June 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso ->OMG you killed the AW11 - that sucks big time!

err - how'd it happen?! hehehe
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanj - that car has been trying to sell on ebay for the last month. no one has shown interest becuase its too expensive.

IMHO i would stay away from that car. buy a stock (or mildly modded) one first and then do your thing to it.Its got High Kms and sounds like its been thrashed (loss of license Rolling Eyes) ex-p plater car.

You can get a nice cond,orig low km (under 200k) for anywhere between $3-5.
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farmsci ST162 wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 22:14

Mick if you need any info on the gen 2 motor swap gimme a yell, i can do my best to give you any help with anything but wiring, mine runs a microtech and i paid an electrician to install it!

id be interested in there custom extractors youre building it that all goes well!

thanks steve really appreciate it - yeah im at work at the moment but ill speak to ya on msn soon (maybe not this weekend though cos i got exams for uni next week Sad )

and smashed wombat - thanks a lot i may actually required your help mate, ill let you know - cos the wiring is probably the only prick of a job that i can think of - any tips in advance??

cheers
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 01:02

Wiso ->OMG you killed the AW11 - that sucks big time!

err - how'd it happen?! hehehe

chicks that can't drive pulling out directly in front of you... need I say more, it was her fault Mad
sanj
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice AUST162. Yeah i found about the car through ebay. I think that it is a bit on teh expensive side as well - but i think there is not harm in checking it out - so i plan on just checking it out. If I like it, then im thinking of getting a racq check to make sure that it is in good mechanical condition. I dont think that i will pay more than 5k - maybe i will depends on mechanical condition I suppose.

Thanks for the advice - another point of veiw is always appreciated
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My damn ST162 isn't working proper Sad From what I recall they rev out fairly nicely in 2nd - but mine seems to stumble at 6000rpm...

*sigh*

Damn cars Razz
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 June 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 00:31

My damn ST162 isn't working proper Sad From what I recall they rev out fairly nicely in 2nd - but mine seems to stumble at 6000rpm...

*sigh*

Damn cars Razz

just a quick observation, we all know your car has been sitting for quite some time, did you change the fuel and filter?

thought it worth mentioning, it quite easy to overlook the simple things.

Karl
pawel
Regular

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this are has been covered a bit but my 89 celica which I just purchased is having weird fuel economy issues. Full tank BP ultimate only got 366km before warning light came on. The mods on this car are extractors plus 2.25 inch exhaust system stock airfilter. Service is history is good as far as I can tell it's Jorrs ex car. I do only drive short distances though ie 7-8km at a time to work. Still I thought I should get at least 450km at of a tank. I am thinking of changing the 02 Sensor. Any other suggestions?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha - yeah I was thinking about that sort of thing, I hadn't bothered to check what was going on so I was more or less just whingeing Very Happy

but!

Now the whole not revving out problem is tertiary to the fact that the engine just died BIG time. It picked up the death rattle - looks like my oil pressure gauge wasn't as screwed as I thought - b'oh!

Anyone want my car for $1000? Comes with free curse!
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pawel. 366kms in city driving is about right mate.
you can probably get 450-500 in the highway. i wouldnt change a thing mate. Smile

Rwdboy. didnt you check the oil dude, No No No No No No
thats sucks , time to get the ST165 going.
man anything that can go wrong has gone wrong with that thing .
$1000 great 3sgte project guys Very Happy bad luck Steve.

Karl

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 04:27]

Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wombat, have you finished the Gen3 conversion? Hows it go?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loving the Front Mount Aust162, we have to catch up soon..

Just thought i might mention, my celica just hit 300,450kms..

Still Driving beautifully, thought i might wish her a happy 300k km birthday..
I'm suprised the overal chassis is in such good nick still.
Engine had a recondition at 200,000kms. Quite a few things have been replaced...

http://img248.echo.cx/img248/7495/pic17gh.jpg

Her Name is Sally, Sally the Celica Very Happy Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 14:01]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 June 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior -> haha no there's at least 5 litres of oil in there mate! There are a couple of theories (none of which I cbfed testing) one is that the oil pump died on me - which would be strange as it was fine when I put it back in over 15,000km ago, or alternatively - the oil always seemed to drain to the sump when left sitting around over night, and it would tick for a few seconds when started up after sitting around - my CSI is a bit rooted and it was struggling to start so I had to hold throttle wide open to get it going - maybe hit 2000rpm before I let go of throttle.

It's possible that the bearing picked up then when I started it and it began ye olde death rattle by getting momentarily starved of oil.

Fact of the matter is, I can't afford to fix it or keep the car. So yeah, if anyone wants it for $1000 it still has 3 months rego, I will be putting it in the trader this week. I recommend you tow it Wink

All proceeds will basically go to getting the GT4 running, so I can sell the GT4 and finally be rid of these f*&^ing Celica's. They've cost me about $20,000 to $25,000 over the years and I've only got about 30,000km of driving out of them....to be honest, it's utter bullshit.

I'm pretty shitted off with the 4th gen of Celica atm.

Oh - and the MegaSquirt will DEFINITELY NOT BE happening, I can no longer afford the time or the actual expense of sorting it out - seeing as pretty much all my finances are now utterly f&*%ed Sad I strongly recommend to anyone with a Gen 1 motor to just give up and by the Gen 2 motor and stick that in Very Happy
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
werd Cool
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well Jorrs just picked up the car. he is driving it back to coffs harbour Crying or Very Sad

congratulations James, hope it all goes well.

the search now begins for another car, preferably ST162.

Karl (depressed)
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sad day karl sad day !!!!!! but its going to a good home !!!!! coffs wont know wat hit it when they see james new car !!!

on the petrol consumption note, pawel, u should really be gettin better consumption than that mate !!!!! especially on ultimate champ !!!!

on regular unleaded from shell i have got 550km outta one tank, that was a fill up of 46.05L or something !! thats not highway driving either, round the streets to and fro uni and wat not, occaisional open up !!!

to prove my fact that these cars have an awesome consumption, i put exactly 10.00L in yesterday, since i have driven 125km and i will still get another 10km or soo before i refuel it at the same place on the gauge as yesterday !!! and that was a cruz to manly !!!

so yeh dude u should get better consumption, as for my recent'st mods, 1988, SX , pod, new leads, plugs, cat back exhaust, new filters throughout, so really and truely you should get more k's outta em

ppl post up your average consumption off one tank and well see !!! but 366km off a whole tank of ultimate >

nick.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Full tank of vortex driving around suburbs with a lot of stop starts and very short trips i'll get about 450kms easy and thats with giving the car a fair bit of a boot. I also hit empty on the guage with about 10-15 litres left in it which will get me about another 100-120kms depending on driving situations etc. The lowest i've ever actually taken the tank was when i had to fill up with 48.67 litres or something. Id done close to 900kms on it but that was half country roads but opened right up sitting on about 140 most of the way.

Cya
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my best was a full tank of synergy 8000...567km's before rebuild, prob around 300km now

someone keeps fucken around with my car on sunday mornings when i park at my cousins place in the city centre.....pissed off and i think i have some idea of who it is..
I'M GONNA KILL THEM!!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yous do know runnin premium in ur car wont last as long as normal fuel unless ur car is tuned to it...
pawel
Regular

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I am pretty pissed off about the fuel, but to make matters worse I took the car for a 200km drive today first really long trip after my extractors and exhaust been fitted. Like before after 60km of highway driving my idle becomes shit ie 400-500 rpm sounds like it's running on three cylinders. Only happens on long drives. If I switch it off for 5 minutes the idle gets back too normal until I hit the highway again. The car drives fine at highway revs but idles shit when you get off. Could this be the computer? Also I put 20 litres in so far just over 200km but highway nearly empty though.
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why unleaded does the trick 99% of the time !!! wanna go out for a nite, put 15 bucks of optimax in , sweet !

thanks for that info tho, how would i go about tuning it for optimax, isnt it all computer ?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just timing... just need to advance the timing so it can burn the extra fuel being pushd in.. im no expert on this so the termonolgy wont be 100%. but as i see it optimax etc has more particles if u will in a smaller space so the normal timing cant burn the extra "particles of fuel" so therefore ur wasting the fuel.. advance the timing and u will see a small improvement.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive found the colder the air the beter the fuel economy also this might be total bullshit lol but this is just wat ive found ive gone from 280kms out of a full tank.. to 350km out of a full tank this might just be a turbo thing *shrugs*
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey , yeh i have the same problem with the idling issues !!!!

however i altered the idle RPM (simple adjustment) and changed the aircon adjuster thingi (big yellow thing)

i found this helped regulate the idle, also throw some carby cleaner thro it every now and then !

how would i advance my timing, can it be dun myself > ? or pro, i am new to the major engine mod's bit !!!

nick
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With higher octane fuels, comes a higher flash point, which means petrols such as BP Ultimate have a higher resistance to detonation.

This means the timing can be advanced, causes higher peak pressures and temperatures in the combustion chamber, which in turn increases thermal efficiency, therefore more power out of the fuel.

Using higher octance fuel also means the compression ratio can be increased but this is not easily achieved.
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Matt-itude wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 18:59

With higher octane fuels, comes a higher flash point, which means petrols such as BP Ultimate have a higher resistance to detonation.

This means the timing can be advanced, causes higher peak pressures and temperatures in the combustion chamber, which in turn increases thermal efficiency, therefore more power out of the fuel.

Using higher octance fuel also means the compression ratio can be increased but this is not easily achieved.

but as already mentioned, this will not prove any benefit to a motor not REQUIRING the higher octane fuel (from a performance\efficiency perspective)

the higher flashpoint and greater viscosity gives it a slower burn, which is how it eliminates detonation ONLY if timing is advanced more

a motor should be run on the lowest RON fuel possible that allows it to be run without pinging

ie. if ur motor runs say 10:1 compression and runs fine on ULP with 92 RON without any sign of pinging on say 10 degress static advance, then running PULP with 98 RON will not increase performance and may in fact detract from it by burning slower (effectively working to reduce your static advance)

Pages (63): [ «  <  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:28:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.015007019042969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.