Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Thu, 09 June 2005 13:44 Go to next message
Hi all,

I have recently been experiencing a knocking sound coming from what seems to be the front right of my MX83. It got progressively worse on my way home from work one day and I didn't really notice it on the way to work. I decided to pull over and sus it out, it sounded like a wheel bearing had died. I grabbed the top of the wheel and moved it back and forth - sure enough I could feel it moving and clunking. I called the NRMA road side non-assistance, he came out said yep definitely a rooted wheel bearing, don't drive it. Got it towed home, removed the struts and had them taken into a mech to remove the nut, press out the oldies and install the new bearings (bloody expensive things).

Installed the struts again tonight, took it for a test drive around the block, everything seemed to be fixed. Went for another drive and it started again. Pulled over, grabbed the wheel, same thing but not quite as bad. We were playing around, jacked it up off the ground and tried wiggling it again, nothing. Grab the front and back of the wheel wiggled it sideways and it knocks. The knocking sounded like it was coming from the steering down under near the drivers side engine mount.

Another thing I had noticed of late is the steering wheel is not centered anymore. If I grab the steering wheel and move it gently, it doesn't seem to have any free play, but if a little pressure is applied to the steering wheel and the tyre is wiggled, it doesn't seem to knock. Another thing to note also, is it does not do it when I am braking. Any idea's on what it could be? A bushing in the steering or something?

Sorry for the long winded post!

Thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Fri, 10 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check/replace your brake pads. Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my MX6.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Fri, 10 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take it to a suspension shop.
Get a front end alignment and check done on it.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Fri, 10 June 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, it's at a place at the moment getting checked out. Hopefully will know something in an hour or so, I'll reply with their findings.

The brake pads aren't very old (month or so) and same with the discs. What in the pads would you think it is?

Thanks for the advise guys.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Fri, 10 June 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had this knocking noise that was speed-dependent in the MX6 a few months ago, turned out to be the front pads in my case. And on a previous occasion, a wheel alignment fixed it.
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Fri, 10 June 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ribfeat is a wanker!!!!
Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Sat, 11 June 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate,

I just bought an MX83 and it is doing exactly the same thing.
Owned a different MX83 for 4 years and it did it too.
I took the new cressi to a mechanic up at newcastle, and he narrowed it down to the front tie-rod bush I think he said.
I will get the receipt and check exactly which bush it is.
Remove the splash guard and you can see them though.

Mine makes a creaking noise whenever you change the height of
front suspension during driving (ie. hitting bumps, entering
steep driveways or heavy brake applications.).
The mechanic said it should be OK to drive for a few months,
the creaking noise will just get worse.

He also said that the bushes are only around $60ea and are not
too hard to install.

Hope this helps,
Bart
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Sat, 11 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast gtfo, you are contributing nothing.

The knocking sound is likely to be either a balljoint, or an inner suspension arm bush. These are the only two things at the bottom of the arm which move when you go over a bump.
If you have had a busted wheel bearing then the vibration of that wheel moving back and forth is likely to have busted the suspension arm bush or ball joint.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there is absolutely no way in hell that brake pads can cause anything like this.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 01:24]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Sat, 11 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your wheel bearings were gone it could have caused your bushes to wear prematurely.
Get your bushes checked out for sure!

In extreme cases it can even wear your steering rack out and cause massive play... doesn't sound like you have this issue though.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Sat, 11 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this happened to my mums bmw, a shock literally collapsed..and it used to feel like you hit the gutter everytime you hit a bunp..
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: MX83 - knocking sound over bumps Sun, 12 June 2005 12:24 Go to previous message
Sorry guys, didn't read the post properly, mine was doing it all the time, not just on bumps.
Hope you sort it out man Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ac into ke35???
Next Topic:USB/MP3 player malfunction
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:10:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043020248413086 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.