Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tookie
Newcomer

May 2005
5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Wed, 08 June 2005 05:02 Go to next message
its in a 96 celica just wondering if anyone rekons the extra power of the turbo 3sgte wud be handled by the 5sfe front wheel drive box. my motors winding down but i dont have enough for a full 4wd conversion straight up so i thought maybe do it in parts. apparently 5sfe box will bolt straight on, just wondering anyone tried this and come up with problems etc. any feedback wud be good thx
  Send a private message to this user    
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Wed, 08 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to break it to you but your not going to be able to perform a full gt4 AWD conversion.

The gearbox you have currently will mate up fine, be gentle on it and u should be fine.

To get a stronger gearbox, ur choices are to find an SW20 Turbo gearbox and modify it to fit, or to find a beams celica gearbox.

-Matt

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 05:58]

opasan
Regular

October 2004
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Wed, 08 June 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still have the 5sfe gearbox in my car...

and its going good so far, its not worse then before i put the engine in and all....

i do flat shift and everything so yeah... hasn't blown up yet and its been about 5 months.... syncro's were a bit bad before, but have stayed the same...

so ye... if i had money, probs get the mr2 gearbox though..
tookie
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sat, 11 June 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant do a full awd conversion... thats news to me everyone i've EVER talked to said everything is just bolt on/in except a bracket or somthing needs to be welded to the rear diff. why is it not possible..?

in reply to the other 1 thats a goood confidence builder for me 5mths is good so far. how much boost r u runnin on the motor?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sat, 11 June 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tookie wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 10:27

you cant do a full awd conversion... thats news to me everyone i've EVER talked to said everything is just bolt on/in except a bracket or somthing needs to be welded to the rear diff. why is it not possible..?

in reply to the other 1 thats a goood confidence builder for me 5mths is good so far. how much boost r u runnin on the motor?

What rear diff?
The ST202/4's are FWD.

If you wanted to shove in AWD gear you would need an ST205 rear cut.
Steal the diff cradle, drive shafts, hubs, fuel tank and diff to put into your 202/4.

Then you may still need to cut the floorpan out and weld it into your ST202/4.

Not exactly a small task.
It wouldn't be impossible, probably just not economical.
tookie
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sat, 11 June 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
righto i hear wat u'r saying. im not that educated when it comes to actually doing things with conversions and crap i no my way arround cars and everything but havent had much practical skills with big stuff so i go off wat people say. so i like knowing everyones thoughts. what i figured was the front cut of a 205, rear cut of 1 i guess or a diff and all that would suit with custom shafts.
arnt the st205 and st204 exactly the same frame? i didnt no id have to cut the floor pan to suit the box thought they were exactly the same. but i've never really looked into it so correct me if im wrong, which i probably am.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sat, 11 June 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know for sure that you would have to cut the floorpan out, have a look under the ST204 and see if there are mounting points for the rear diff cradle.

It would be best if you could look at an ST205 rear end for comparison too.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sat, 11 June 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it simply wont happen without a huge budget to get it all re engineered dude - not worth the effort unless youve got a large wad of fuinance to get a qualified engineer to make all the bits needed ..

Stick to a mr2 gearbox , LSD from the mr2 and some custom driveshafts and youll be poking your nose int he right direction
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sun, 12 June 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or buy a 205..... mmm $$$$$$$$$

the 5sfe box is fine mines held up for 6 or so months and i give it hell
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Sun, 12 June 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tookie wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 11:50

righto i hear wat u'r saying. im not that educated when it comes to actually doing things with conversions and crap i no my way arround cars and everything but havent had much practical skills with big stuff so i go off wat people say. so i like knowing everyones thoughts. what i figured was the front cut of a 205, rear cut of 1 i guess or a diff and all that would suit with custom shafts.
arnt the st205 and st204 exactly the same frame? i didnt no id have to cut the floor pan to suit the box thought they were exactly the same. but i've never really looked into it so correct me if im wrong, which i probably am.

umm if they are the same as the 180 series then the frame the same, floor pan will be different, it would be far easier to buy a 205. sorry mate.
tookie
Newcomer

May 2005
icon14.gif  Re: 5sfe gearbox with 3sgte motor Mon, 13 June 2005 01:37 Go to previous message
No Message Body
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celica FWD to AWD conversion - the facts?
Next Topic:Ae80 Carolla Not Starting when Cold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:31:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052251815795898 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.