Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Heyah
Regular

July 2002
icon10.gif  my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Mon, 06 January 2003 10:12 Go to next message
i just rebuilt the bottom end and put in a new hg , ive got it running!! its been a long road and thanks to all those who answered my qs and helped me out!

my qs is what is the best way to run it all in? (if there is one) some have said dont run boost for a 1000ks and others say run it up to 100klms then stop then back up agian to 100... so on so forth..
obvioulsy with the money spent i dont want to stuff it now!
what do u recomend??

thanks! jake
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Mon, 06 January 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i have always beleived in the theory of driving it like your going to drive it all the time.....
it may not be correct.. but thats what i do...Evil or Very Mad
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Mon, 06 January 2003 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was advised that you can drive as fast as you want however its important that you don't cruise at any given RPM for the first 1000km's. ie you must be accelerating or decelerating and varying your RPM.

Hang on a sec.... this could have been advice for a new gearbox... I can't remember Sad
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Mon, 06 January 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i have just rebuilt my 3sgte its 1000ks without boost and a 3500 rev limiter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
be careful with it!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Mon, 06 January 2003 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remedy is right, just dont keep it at one rpm constantly. You are bedding the rings and bore together. Dont let it idle to warm up either, this promotes glazing in the bores, at idle insufficient oil is thrown up onto the cylinder walls for lubrication. Varying rpm helps to build up chamber gas pressure behind the top rings and loads them sufficiently to help them to seat. If you can get hold of the "repco engine service manual" (I know) its written in the early 70's but based around the repco brabham f1's it has really good microscope photos of different wear patterns on the bores and rings from different run ins.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Tue, 07 January 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that for running in, you should not exceed too many revs in the first 1000ks or so, and keep the revs varying as well, don't cruise at any particular speed. Apparently not over stressing/overloading the engine is also a good idea. ie - don't go up steep hills, and don't use overrun too much on downhills.

When my bro was running in his rally car, the first two hundred kays was run on pretty flat road under 3000rpm trying to vary the engine revs as much as possible, then he upped the rev limit to 3500, then to 4000 etc every 200kays until 1000 kays and then you can basically go nuts as long as you don't 'cruise' too much for the next 1000 kilometers.

Of course, I guess running an engine in is a bit of a black art, I don't know if this is good advice, but the engine hasn't blown up after one rally event so that's a start.
Heyah
Regular

July 2002
Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Tue, 07 January 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks
now i only wish i didnt live on a road with a big !#@#er hill at both ends!
not to worry, im sure itll get by. ill hit the roads soon as i get rego!
much appreciated !
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Tue, 07 January 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't worry about the hills, as long as you don't try to go up them at 50km in top gear that is. The rest has already been said, just keep the engine "happy", don't over load it
Jonoze
Regular

May 2002
Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Tue, 07 January 2003 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a different veiw on running engines in...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yeah i know its a motobike site but its still applicable.
Heyah
Regular

July 2002
Re: my 7m is back on the road! how should i wear it in??? Thu, 09 January 2003 09:59 Go to previous message
another thing... when should i retorque the head ,... 1000klms?

jonoze : thanks for the site!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1J wiring differences
Next Topic:7MGTE 440cc Injector resistance/current
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 00:00:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.077887058258057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.