Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Worelock
Occasional Poster

May 2005

Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Fri, 10 June 2005 16:47 Go to next message
Heya folks,
Dont know if anyone has ever tried to remove scratches from the perspex cover over the instrument cluster before, but I found myself having to do this due to years of the previous owner wiping the cluster with a rag and basically scratching the crap out of it because of the dust that was sitting on it when they wiped it.

I spent hours trying different things to achieve this with varied results until I found a bottle of good old braso in the cupboard....Holly shit...what a miricle job it did.
The perspex cover on my cluster now looks like the day it was put in the dash.

Hope someone finds this usefull.

Paul
  Send a private message to this user    
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good job bloke, will be handy to know this,
especially on my home made perspex indicator lenses, they have been copping a beating.

Cheers
Shtock
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that dude !!! u recon brasso will bring up the tail lights etc as well ??

coz i put some kitten no. 1 over em the other day and buffed em that way, and there was a noticeable 'glisten' increase !!!

nick.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brasso is a well know polish for perspex (acrylic)... However there's even better stuff out there... it's like a much finer grit that Brasso and is designed specifically for polishing acrylic. Problem is, I can't remember what it's called right now... i'll do a bit of searching and try to find the name.

Brasso is good however because most of us have some at home... I haven't tried Silvo before but I think that has a finer grit than Brasso and may be a good to try after the buffing with Brasso.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguire's make a product called ScratchX or something like that, spose to get rid of small scratches as well as polish plastics/perspex. brasso is much cheaper to buy though if you just wanna polish it up. Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any metal polish will clean up plastic surfaces quite nicely
my taillights and other plactic surfaces shine nicely Smile
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An uncle of mine uses toothpaste
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use "Unick Heatsink Paste" which is availiable from Dick Smiths.

Did a brilliant job on the clear plastic cover over my dash instrument cluster.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Sat, 11 June 2005 23:52

Excuse me but HOW OR WHY did you come across the idea of using heatsink paste as a polish ??? Confused Confused Confused

I really can not see how you could link heatsink paste with fixing scratches on plastic.

Best regards a very confused Superaw11. Wink
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe he had a few scratches on the silicon on the cpu around the heat distributer. And when he went to change his heatsinks he noticed that they were no longer there Laughing

I use that maguires stuff that feral mentioned, works a treat.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sat, 11 June 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha may be good for cheap things but on big expensive pieces of lexan,like race car windows the safest thing to use is the cleaner and polisher{one is a white bottle and the other grey,about $25 each bottle} that you can get from cadilac plastics. as you would find the brasso would actually scratch it, which on a windsreen looking into the sun would be a nightmare and at about $400 for one of the high grade UV ones that you have to change every season anyway, be an expensive mistake.if you ever drive and get the sun over your shoulder shining on the cluster you will prob see what i mean.gives me an idea,should get bottles and make little squeeze packs,like tomato sauce and sell for dash panels.
mick
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sun, 12 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meguiars Mirror Glaze plastic cleaners. Was about $17.50 a bottle, #17 "Clear Plastic Cleaner" removes light scratches etc. #10 Clear Plastic Polish brings it up to uber shine Smile
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sun, 12 June 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superaw11 wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 02:45

Excuse me but HOW OR WHY did you come across the idea of using heatsink paste as a polish ??? Confused Confused Confused

I really can not see how you could link heatsink paste with fixing scratches on plastic.

Best regards a very confused Superaw11. Wink

Weird I agree. Plus the stuff's usually carcinogenic!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Sun, 12 June 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just broke the plastic cover neatly off, much clearer.

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Usefull tip for cleaning perspex Mon, 13 June 2005 01:00 Go to previous message

yeah it has a nice slightly abrasive quality.. you can use it on aluminium heatsinks to polish them up and you will actually get a better transfer of heat and hence cooler chip.

but you definantly want to be careful. avoid getting it on your skin its pretty nasty stuff..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thought this link might be of interest to people
Next Topic:pics for r154 into ma61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:07:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052871704101562 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.