Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo]

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 01:26 Go to next message
Hi,

Just spent all night and morning doing a service and now the car wont start Sad

I suspect the alternator to be gone.. I've checked all the fuses etc and all I get when turning the key is clicking noises from the fusebox though they are all fine.

Yesterday while driving around I saw my voltage spike upto 18v on my turbo timer serveral times So I turned on all the headlights, Sound system and foglights and the voltage dropped back down to normal 14.4/6v with all accessories on.

The Starter motor wont kick in as it sounds like it doesnt have enough power or is being cut of by the immoboliser. Also the front fans aren't working anymore either.. but all the relays look visually ok.

Anybody out here auto electricians? Give me a pm I need someone to come take a look thanks!
  Send a private message to this user    
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking flat battery, you sure its not the starter that is making the ticking noise?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im charging it now. it was half flat Sad

still a few more hours to go. its currently on 2, so its almost ready. I plugged in the battery and tried to start it, everyting turned on as normal and the starter motor tried to jump but i only got ticks.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're getting spikes up to 18V then your regulator is almost definately on the way out.

If your regulator is shagged your battery probably won't be charging correctly which will be causing the problems you are experiencing.

Charge your battery back up and get the car started, drive around a bit and watch for voltage spikes... voltage should be around 13.5 to 14.5V normally with out your headlights / high beams on.

If you get many spikes try not to drive at night until you get your alternator fixed.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 15:53

I plugged in the battery and tried to start it, everyting turned on as normal and the starter motor tried to jump but i only got ticks.

yep battery is gone most likely caused from shagged alternator and that is prob due to the reasons toobs said
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah hopefully it starts tommorow morning and ill drive it to the workshop to get looked at before I head to work. NRMA doesnt do alternators for the MR2 turbo Sad

I've been told to try and do the GT4 one.

Oh btw thanks toobs I finally got my gold toymods sticker after about a year? Razz but the thing was all mushed up in the envelope when i got it Shocked
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 16:07

I've been told to try and do the GT4 one.

Oh btw thanks toobs I finally got my gold toymods sticker after about a year? Razz but the thing was all mushed up in the envelope when i got it Shocked

The Gt4 one will most likely fit if you swap over the CAI cover.
If you want to have a look at one I've got a few lying around somewhere.

Re: Sticker.
I'm just a regular member not one of these fangled board member types.
Bust the Stitts nuts if yours came mangled... don't blame me Razz
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charged the battery but still no avail.

Seems like it could be wiring? something maybe shorted or something. Whenever i press the alarm/immoboliser the turbo timer turns the ignition off? strange
wadadlianu
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Mon, 13 June 2005 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the voltage at the battery when you try to crank the engine? IT shouldnt go below 9.5v in a worse case scenario. I do believe you battery might be bad from overcharging, or low electrolyte. Try another battery and see what happens. If this doesnt work then there are a few other tests you could do to source your problem. Check these links below. Just a few basic tests

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?showtop ic=2660&hl=

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?showtop ic=2667&hl=

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Tue, 14 June 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok

I decided to jump start it this morning. I got the other car working. Plugged my jumper cables in cranked it a few times.

Tacho started flicking like crazy, Motor idle'd alittle unstable. Wipers started flicking by itself Shocked

I think I tried to kill the ignition but no avail so I grabbed a broom popped of the negative. MAN THAT WAS SOME SCARY SHIT!

I think its becuase im using a 4wd battery? Laughing

Ill try it again later with my original battery and pray that the same wont happen lol
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Tue, 14 June 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you still require someone to come out and have a look for you, give this guy a call:

Michael
0414 90 50 50

he is a mobile auto electrician, has owned a business in Ryde for 20 years and recently became mobile. Did a great job on my car the other day, at a good cash price.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Car wont start.. I think its the alternator [MR2 Turbo] Wed, 15 June 2005 00:17 Go to previous message
plugged in the original battery and car works now! WOOHOOO!!!

First thing is first drop it off at mechanic
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae101 4agze belts --part numbers
Next Topic: 4age ae86 ecu&loom
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:49:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044319629669189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.