Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Levin AE86 rust repair..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
icon5.gif  Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 11:03 Go to next message
i am intrested in buying a aus spec ae86 with quite abit of rust in the usual places and has a sunroof. i dont know if it will be worth it, dose anyone have any numbers on how much rust repair could costs for the ae86 any help appreciated.

if anyone has trueno head lights and rear in good condition i am very intrested!

thanks
ace Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long is a piece of string?
how can anyone on here determine how much it will cost to fix the rust without actually seeing it.
id suggest taking some photos and showing a panel beater for a rough estimate.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 June 2005 11:32]

Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just want to cut out the rust and fill it with BOG. its just rusted in the usual places doors sunroof boot.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has it gone through the metal?

not highly advisable just using bog to fill up big holes

are you planning to do this yourself?

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u cant just cut rust out and fill it with bog
you need to weld new metal in there or fibreglass it then add bog.
depends on extent of the rust, the worse it is the more it will cost obviously
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Sun, 12 June 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I filled some quite sizable holes in the t18 with bog reinforced with fibreglass and steel. I wouldnt do it on a car I was serious about though. The t18 is never going to be roadregistered anyway and its not structural areas so im not really concerned.

Do it properly if you want it too last. I have no doubts that after a fair bit of racing (and chassis flex) I will find myself redoing it all. Next time I might actually do it properly if I get really motivated.
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No im not planing to do it myself yes the rust is in the metal im juts thinking of grinding the rust out and filling it with bog as a cheaper option since its only a 1k car
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will you be able to tell that it has been boged by looking at it? i only want to keep the car for around 2 years so it dosnt bother me if it falls apart after that
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fiberglass sheet metal whatever i dont know much about pannel beating
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sticky tape can fix anything Smile
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sticky tape and cable ties... wat more could u want!!
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do any of you know how much it would cost to repair the rust the cheap way
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Mon, 13 June 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rust repair professionally done is an expensive job mainly because of the labour involved in cutting it out, rewelding the metal and adding all the other fibres

Doing it yourself will be cheaper but its not gona be easy.

But you might as well do it right if you're going to do it at all, after the 2 years are u planning on just chucking the car out? Im assuming not, you repair it now then in two years you can sell it for more of what its actually worth, rather than a half metal shell/half bogged shell if you know what i mean Wink

Good luck with it all, 1k sprinter is still a pretty good find today, rusted or not Very Happy

Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: Levin AE86 rust repair.. Tue, 14 June 2005 02:18 Go to previous message
Doing it DIY and dodgy (read lots of bog) will cost you about $50 or less. It wont look good though and will debatably last you the 2 years. THats of course using dodgy export quality method. You will be able to see it and wont be able to pass it off as real metal if you go to sell it. The way sprinter prices seem to be going, it may still be worth more than a few $$ in a few years and might be worth doing right.

Its not hard to do it yourself, just takes a bit of time.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil for 2T-B
Next Topic:Widebody Camry oil leak
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 19:43:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007066011428833 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.