Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 07:44 Go to next message
Howdy, I'm resonably new to these forums, but i have been poking around a bit before i became a member and i have been a member of ns.com for a fair while now (same user name). Any way i'll cut to the chase so to speak... my current/future project is going to be fitting a CA18 into an AE86. Now i havent started yet ( i havent even got the car, lol), but i have been doing a bit of research, as i want to be prepared before i start this. I figure i am going to need the following parts...

* CA18DET engine/loom/etc. $1000
* RB20DET Gearbox (beacuse its shorter and shifter will be in a better spot) $450
* Engine mounts (thinking of using the ones offered by Anthony Kellam) $330
* Brake Upgrade - any ideas on price, was thining roughly $800 but not really sure
* Custom Tail Shaft - heard murmour around $400, anyone know anything more specific
* Engineers Certificate $500 in victoria
* Suspension (coilovers) - roughly $1000 for now.

Now what im really after, is a bit of info from you guyz/girls that probly know a bit more about this sort of thing than me. I'm planning on doing the conversion myself with the help of a couple of mates, so thus cutting down labour costs. I was wondering what other parts i will need to make this conversion successful (ones i havent found out about), are the prices i have at the moment reasonably accurate and also if anyone of you have the necessary parts lying around i will need!! in particualr im after the tail shaft, else i'll just get a custom one. Apologise for the long post and please dont turn this into a SRvsCA or NissanvsToyota flame war, stick to the topic if you could.

CHeers,

Swordfish, *runs and hides, prepared to get flamed, lol*
  Send a private message to this user    
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck with it should be well worth ti wehn done, there was a guy that has attempted this (didnt finish) its out at a place called "imigrant" its a import workshop, you could look it up and ask him some info. i also believe its forsale if you wanna look into that too. its a purple one with plates saying "THE 86"
i would prefer to see a sr20det into it though (i know what yousaid about it but i still would like to see it with sr)
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are all your figures very very rough estimates?

1k for ca18det with loom and ecu is bloody bloody cheap.

I'm not sure but does a rb20 gbox match up to a ca18 perfectly?

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 09:19]

swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats somethign else im after, what do i need to modify to make the RB box hook up with the CA18... yeah all prices are rough estimates, but for the CA18 $1000 should cover wat im after..
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swordfish69 wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 19:14

yeah thats somethign else im after, what do i need to modify to make the RB box hook up with the CA18... yeah all prices are rough estimates, but for the CA18 $1000 should cover wat im after..

Really? 1k for ca18det+loom+ecu? show me the way! Very Happy (They usually go for 1.2k+ just for the engine alone)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate just paid $1300 for CA18DET with Loom/ECU etc. Pretty much everything from a front cut without the panels or car.

And WA is usually much more expensive than over east too.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 19:27

Mate just paid $1300 for CA18DET with Loom/ECU etc. Pretty much everything from a front cut without the panels or car.

Really?
wtf?
not sure how much just jap is profitting in this, but just jap charges 1.3k, sssautomotive charges 1.6k for everything, so i guess it varies alot in prices from where you go

http://justjap.com/engines.htm

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/pricelist.htm

and from the advertisement in the driftbattle issue 0.6, sss sells it for 1.4k, i'm assuming engine alone.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 19:53

CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 19:27

Really?
wtf?
not sure how much just jap is profitting in this, but just jap charges 1.3k, sssautomotive charges 1.6k for everything, so i guess it varies alot in prices from where you go

http://justjap.com/engines.htm

http://www.sssautomotive.com.au/pricelist.htm

and from the advertisement in the driftbattle issue 0.6, sss sells it for 1.4k, i'm assuming engine alone.

sss engines are quality thats why a wee bit more in price
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was considering to buy the engine/loom/ecu etc, privately... and dont forget that doesnt inlcude the CA gearbox, as i wont be needing it, and if it does come with it, i'll be selling it off..
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb20 box with ca bellhousing
considered a diff upgrade/lsd?
cooler?
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, hadnt really thought about the diff, wat sort of lsd do u recommend thats a reasonably easy fit? cooler, yeah organising that aswell, thanx...
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Mon, 13 June 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the sale of my CA18DET falls through from the people interested atm i have mine for $400ono

Although it is just almost a bare block
missing:
coil packs
flywheel
ECU (can get CA18DE reconfigured for a CA18DET at an extra cost)
Turbo (Can be sourced maybe)

it has the 2 manifolds, loom, couple other things

no gearbox

cant think of anything else atm if ur interested PM me

But as i said there are other people who have asked me about this already so yeh, they're first in line but who knows maybe they dont want it Very Happy

Choony

PS: PM me if interested
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im also doing this conversion, i have seen many CA18dets for sale for under $800 on www.nissansilvia.com
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a comparison, i bought my CA18DE for $300 with loom, gearbox, etc etc.
Drift Technician
Regular

March 2004
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 18:43

good luck with it should be well worth ti wehn done, there was a guy that has attempted this (didnt finish) its out at a place called "imigrant" its a import workshop, you could look it up and ask him some info. i also believe its forsale if you wanna look into that too. its a purple one with plates saying "THE 86"
i would prefer to see a sr20det into it though (i know what yousaid about it but i still would like to see it with sr)

Yeah thats mine, engine was mounted in fine etc etc etc was only lil bits to finish it off, just didnt have the time/money to finish it. What youve given yourself for the quotes is pretty good, should be able to do it for that, although dont forget wiring/exhaust either champ
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh yes, exhaust very important and i must admit i had forgotten that part... hmmm sounds interesting what you did, would be interested but this is to give me something to do, and i wanna do it myself if u know what i mean@! haha... just interested in the wiring side of it... is the wiring hard to match up, and does anyone know where i can get my hands on a wiring diagram/schematic of the CA18 hooking into the AE86...?? thanx for all the info so far guyz, been really good!!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find wiring diagrams for ca18 and ae86 and start the painful task of wiring
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, its going to have to be the way i guess! oh well, i dont mind that sorta thing n e way! lol. what sort of diff do you guyz suggest i run?? cheers
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also remember to factor in a couple of hundred for converting the fuel system to EFI.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Tue, 14 June 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T series minimum w/ lsd of course
swordfish69
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Wed, 15 June 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPRINTAH! wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 23:02

also remember to factor in a couple of hundred for converting the fuel system to EFI.

mmm, hadnt considered that at all (my bad) tell me more please...
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Wed, 15 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swordfish69 wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 19:12

... at all (my bad) tell ...

Gah, why do people insist on using that idiotic expression. It means nothing
Drift Technician
Regular

March 2004
Re: CA in to 86 ( yes i know, its been covered many times before) Wed, 15 June 2005 12:15 Go to previous message
swordfish69 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 18:55

ahh yes, exhaust very important and i must admit i had forgotten that part... hmmm sounds interesting what you did, would be interested but this is to give me something to do, and i wanna do it myself if u know what i mean@! haha... just interested in the wiring side of it... is the wiring hard to match up, and does anyone know where i can get my hands on a wiring diagram/schematic of the CA18 hooking into the AE86...?? thanx for all the info so far guyz, been really good!!

Wiring info for AE86 can be found here http://www.hachilife.com/garage/?manual=elec_03 It contains a lot of useful diagrams there of AE86 stuff. As for the CA try Nissan Silvia forums to find the info needed there..........

Cheers

Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Noob in need of help
Next Topic:Head Studs For 3TGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 03:26:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066568851470947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.