Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4 owners dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justen you are one crazy mofo ya know Razz

Send a private message to this user    
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi number 38 here
It’s teal in color and basically stock it's been lowered and has an aftermarket cat back exhaust not positive on the size

I will be at the dyno day on the 3rd to get a base figure on my car so I can start looking at doing some mods.

Hope to see as many of you as possible it will make for a tops day

See you then

YGT04A
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still hoping to get to the dyno day Rolling Eyes

a few more things are getting done to the car before then

how many gt4's do we expect there??

cheers Very Happy

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont see mine - ive got stocktake on the same day - but i am aiming at going to toyofest in october
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine will be there
I will even be joining my car there Razz
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm i think a UZ185 dedicated thread would get a bit dull...i maybe a crazy mofo but i can only talk to myself for so long Wink
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 13:53

Hmm i think a UZ185 dedicated thread would get a bit dull...i maybe a crazy mofo but i can only talk to myself for so long Wink

well deep down its still a gt4 - well sort of Rolling Eyes
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some might say it's better Smile but i'll leave that debate for the pub over a few schooners
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its certainly what toyota should have built instead of
the avalon, echo, etc - should I go on Razz
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive owned a gt4 for like month now, and i went for my frist drive since in the old ae82 with the 100kw stock. i swear it feels so much faster than the celica! gota love how small cars make u think ur all that, untill u line up with something that has displacement!

still got a spot in my heart for the ae82 twincam, love that car.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
say,,

if u guys had like 1000$ to spend on a stock165, what would you spend it on to get out a bit more power?

dont say exhausts, or boost controller/gauge.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny thing is - they are probably the two best things to buy (exhaust or boost controller) if you want to get some (very) mild power up out of your stock car. Having said that, I'd think about spending money on getting Torsen rear LSD out of ST185 (Aus delivered differential centre) or ST205 - new brake pads, new springs and lightening the thing if you don't mind removing all sound deadening material etc out of the car Very Happy
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not sure if the st185 came with the torsen lsd.
i've read somewhere it was only on the grp-a ??
can anyone confirm?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie ones all have the same rear diff as the group A's - all torsens

confirmed with 3 individual sources within toyota

1000 bucks, hmm - Aussie exhaust 3 inch dump pipe - a more efficient front heat exchanger ( st165 one is tiny compared to group A 185/205 ) and a whiteline rear swaybar ..

prolly wouldnt see much change out of a grand out of this ..

maybe a more efficient way of letting the heat out of the enginebay too - heatsoak kills these motors
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$1000 dollars - save it, add more $$ and get an aftermarket ECU Very Happy

cheers Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no point going aftermarket expecting more power , if your mmotors not streghtehend or rebuilt at least. She'd blow a HG in no time
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 00:24

say,,

if u guys had like 1000$ to spend on a stock165, what would you spend it on to get out a bit more power?

dont say exhausts, or boost controller/gauge.

I would get the CT26 high flowed.
Excellent power gains.
Less heat generated.
Most of these turbos are due for a rebuild anyway.

Useless unless you got an exhaust, boost controller and ECU Laughing

I think you know what needs to be done first Wink

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon keep the $1k to spend on fixing up stuff that is probably broken or should be changed anyway.
e.g.
turbo seals ($300-400 repair from GCG)
ignition leads
spark plugs
crankcase oil
engine oil
coolant
brake fluid (also clutch fluid)
power steering fluid
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh too true toobs, sometimes we get carried away with all the other goodies while we may forgot the cars vitals.
regarding power steering fluids... would you just buy this from the dealer? or are there other alternatives?

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power steering fluid is usually the same as Auto gearbox oil.
i.e. a Dexron III hydraulic type oil.
Just go down to your local supersteep auto's or whatever and check the containers out... just grab a Dexron III auto gbox oil that has powersteering fluid written on it somewhere.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ...i got a stock 165, except for kyb rally shocks, lotsa fun.. biggest problem ive had with it is the oil filter mount was not spec. Somewhere along the line the mount has been changed out, so the spec filter was too small and leaking profusely. (all over the exhaust)
Gearbox dosnt like to shift at high rpm (age)
Gearbox filler bolt has been welded in and a smaller bolt has been tapped in (not sure why, i think due to leak).
Fuel goose neck leaked whilst filling up. upon inspection found approx 30 holes (rust) in the expansion. metal putty fixes all
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For $1000 you won't get very far - better to spend your money on keeping the thing running and in good order.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazedrt104 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 08:52

Gearbox dosnt like to shift at high rpm (age)

i hear u mine crunches anytime i try to shift from first to second or second to third above 4500rpm its gay i feel really bad everytime i do it Embarassed

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 02:12]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one thing im noticijng in thsi thread - no one mentioned rice additions on Gt4's

are we the only group that doesnt seem to be effected by the rice bug Wink hehehe

we have the goods , and the looks and the power - no need to bolt extra " looks " shite on Wink
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed Very Happy the gt4 looks dead sexy so no need for stupid ricey shit
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the only person I can think of with a different bodykit is SilverGhost... pretty minimal considering the number of Gt4's that have no body / panel mods.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rekon its cause u wouldnt buy a gt4 for its looks, u buy it cause its a tuff 4wd turbo, and thats prob because we enjoy driving cars, rather than looking at them sit in the garage with rice bits on it.
AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 12:47

are we the only group that doesnt seem to be effected by the rice bug Wink hehehe
Not quite, mine has some rice. Eg. cannon muffler and atmos venting BOV.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh bar for silverghosts kit - theres none i know of wearing anything bar for factory or group A panelling Smile

none of us by memory have neons or checkerplate , or spinners etc etc .. No HKS shopping lists , nothing that typically gets that label

most of us will have a large bore exhaust + a BOV of some kind though - in our case i dont consider them " rice "
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats it... just to be different I'm off to buy some HKS Checkerplate and a neon shopping list.
Maybe some Stage 5 Motec weight reduction too!
Bye!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 comes with factory rice on the doors Sad D'oh!
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its nice to have a car that looks newer than it is Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you get motec weight reduction and checkerplate's - can we point and laugh at you ?

hehe Wink
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are these checkerplates you speak of Confused
i searched google at it came up with random crap.??
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just kidding...
HKS don't make checkerplate and nobody "makes" weight reduction...
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I thought HKS made everything Rolling Eyes
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey does anyone here have WRX envy? Just a general question, cause I got mega road-rage attacked by some guy in an ST165 today as I was driving my dad's MY99 - I reckon he was just worked up cause he saw a young guy in a young(ish) WRX, but it's hard to say - I doubt he would've gone off at me if I'd been driving my ST165 and if I was about 20 years older than I am Wink

Do you reckon that WRX envy is common amongst GT4 owners?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nahh must just be an ST16X thing...
The WRX has about the only engine bay that would be worse to work in than the GT4.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 07:33

Nahh must just be an ST16X thing...
The WRX has about the only engine bay that would be worse to work in than the GT4.

Don't forget the TT 300ZX!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nhh no real wrx envy here - i know i dont have a fragile transmission , or a automatic ' theres a wrx lets book em " attitude from the police ..

performance wise the gt4 is pretty much on par with a wrx anyway - so Meh ..

only thing they have gong for them is much broader aftermarket support - which gt4's dont have
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno, having worked extensively on ST165s and having some limited experience with WRXs I can't say I'd immediately prefer the layout of the GT4 engine bay - I can't really speak out about later model GT4s because I've only ever had to do do some work on an ST184 (and not an ST185).

Aus-delivered WRXs have always had it over Aus-delivered GT4s in many areas of performance - not by alot though, especially with the ST205.

Having said that, you are probably right toobs - it most likely is an ST16* thing Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 10:47

one thing im noticing in this thread - no one mentioned rice additions on Gt4's

Embarassed Ummm, I'm sad to say my ST205 has rice all over it Embarassed My only saving grace is that it all came to me like that, and some can easily be removed (illuminated windscreen washer jets for example). Other shit touches like the colour change Chameleon coat over the original paint will stay, as I can't justify repainting the car, nor can I justify the drama to match the Chameleon finish in trying to remove the shitty turbocharger sticker on the fuel filler door, that has then been painted over. These features also aid my decision to sell this car shortly - and people wonder why I don't drive it out in public!!! Razz

Fortunately the 185 is on a very lean diet and will suffer none of these injustices!!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually most cops who pull me over have no idea that my car is pretty much factory... they seem highly confused when I explain that its an AWD Turbo from factory and not just an ST182/4 with lots of rice.

I agree that in quite a few area's the WRX outperforms the GT4 as a standard car... but I chose the GT4 because it is a rare performance car... not an extremely common performance car that goes hard.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe stock gt4's - but not modified ones like some of us have Smile

removing or rectifying some of the gt4's misgivings really puts it up into the next league IMHO

little things like intercooler swaps , and suspension tweaks Def. remove factory fitted fuckups as i like to call em, and quickly bring the gt4's " performance " back into the ballpark..

Remember though - WRX really didnt start here till about 1995

before that Gt4 was up against the liberty/legacy GT's which have nothing on their WRX little brother
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW guys - if anyones interested - my frontmount intercooler jig for St185's may be available for lending if anyones planning on doing a similar swap to mine ..

Or i can make up a jig for a small fee if you want one of your own

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 09:20]

Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WRX envy.... I dont think so. These guys have it in for each other. Got to build on those respect points Laughing

I dont envy them. I pity tha fools.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr GT aint got time for that jibba jabba fool!

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I realise that WRXs didn't come out until about late 93/early 94 so comparing an ST165, or even an ST185 to a WRX is a bit wrong Very Happy

The Liberty is a heavy, slow lumbering piece of slow lumbering heaviness and got thoroughly thrashed by ST165s and ST185s alike in rallying and on the street - except once in New Zealand where the Legacy/Liberty somehow fluked a win at the hands of Colin McRae.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 22 June 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had the misfortune of having an attempted breakin, and some asshole slamming their door on to the side. I've been away for a bit, and I miss driving my baby Smile

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 22 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 13:45

I agree that in quite a few area's the WRX outperforms the GT4 as a standard car... but I chose the GT4 because it is a rare performance car... not an extremely common performance car that goes hard.

agreed - its nice to have a car that turns heads because
its something they dont see everyday Very Happy
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not having a good day today with the gt4
for some silly reason my clutch pedal decided it
wanted to stay nearly on the foor Mad
No leaking master cylinder or slave, so hopfully a
quick bleed and it will be right Rolling Eyes

all I want is a good year with no probs Razz

cheers Very Happy
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope you sort it out easy troy your car is too nice to be off the road Very Happy
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks bill, hopefully it will be alright.
we need to get yours sorted shortly and I'll have
to take you for a ride in the beast Razz

cheers Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 02:01]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes and hell yes Very Happy Would be a massive inspiration to c what a gt4 can be transformed into Very Happy I finally got rid of some debts so i can put some money into the car for general maintenance. Its running a bit rough and as its coming to the 5000k mark i'll replace fuel filter, leads, oil and maybe even splash out with a tune up. Where do people get there leads from ? I asked at supercheap and the sets they had for the st185 were $150-180 Eye Spin Damn rare gt4's Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get TRD ones from penrith toyota for not much more than that ..

BTW on the news of good gt4's - mine started today for the first time in 4 weeks - with half a front munt hanging off it - HAHA!

those new silicon bends have a slighty odd smell when warming up but hey - they are new ..

last IC bends into cooler being welded up i hope on monday - then a quick HPC coating trip and YAY! need to look at some wrapping for the hot pipe thogh as it goes past a few rubber hoses i dont want melting ( water hose inlet to water pump - two Aircon lines , a snall loom of wiring ) hopefully HPC + exhaust wrap plus some of that funky foam stuff will lessen the chance of melties

fully frontmount maaaatte!

Another thing - relocated the overflow bottle under the guard - all you can see is the neck poking up behind the left light - very nice having that space free !
Hooked in my new air temp sensor for the wolf ECU - was working last night in 5 degrees celcius - so i know the temp sensors working while i was freezing Wink
Oh and i just paid off my HKS 264 cams - so having a good week here !
toy.car
Regular

January 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Gr8 to see lots of gt4 out there
well i had two gt4s ST185 air two air and a Group A Rallye ST205
I sold one to buy a house. Yes i sold the ST205. i lost a lot of cash on that car the price dropped big time. it was a nice looking car but with small mods my st185 left it for dead. so it went to a bad home.

I sold it to a car yard because no one wanted to buy it for the price. sold it for $40,000.oo i lost about $30,000.oo this was 4 years back.

a guy paid $48999.00 at the car yard phoned me up to ask about the car. he asked how slip the clutch to get it of the line. i told him not to. we exchange ph #. Four weeks late he had rolled it 4 too 6 time down a hill at about 160kms.

i went to see the car (4 parts) it was dead. the roll had ripped off 2 wheels 1 door, bonnet and rear lift back. the roof came right down. it was stock when i sold it

i think the air bag save him just some broken bones. he now has a WRX sti with the money from the crashed GT4.

st185 i still have
have spent time and money to get it to go fast stop fast turn fast. lots of the stuff on it from japan the uk and local made.
but still looking for more parts. as a group we could keep an eye out for part new or second hand / group buys.
has any one put a 1mm head gasket on yet? whats it like? whats the cost? whats it made from?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well finally I got a long motor (cheers spectral) so hopefully I can get started on the lame mongrel Gen 1.5 engine this weekend! Heart

Okay I'm going back to my little shell now.

toy.car as if you sold the ST205!!! Must've been desparate times to call upon such desparate measures. Shame to hear that it got rolled too.
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toy.car wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 13:08

Four weeks late he had rolled it 4 too 6 time down a hill at about 160kms.

i went to see the car (4 parts) it was dead. the roll had ripped off 2 wheels 1 door, bonnet and rear lift back. the roof came right down. it was stock when i sold it

ouch Shocked
what else can I say Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quick q. The crank journal size is the same for all 3S-GTEs isn't it? 50mm?
QIK_GT4
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 23 June 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
anyone here from sydney?
Pages (23): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:31:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097949504852295 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.