Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How much should I pay for an AE86?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
LiftOffOverSteer
Newcomer

June 2005
How much should I pay for an AE86? Tue, 14 June 2005 21:04 Go to next message
I've wanted one of these for years, but there are only a few left in the UK, the rest have all rotten away.

I'm coming to Australia for a year and thought I might get one to play with while I'm here, but prices seem to vary wildly (I've seen $4,000 to $15,000).

Are the ones near $4,000 full of rust? Is the 'Rego' your annual safety / emissions test in Australia? How strict are you on rust?

I will be living in Melbourne - are there any issues with buying one in a different state and driving it back (other than the long drive obviously)?

Hoping I might be able to find a nice one for under $5g, but maybe I'm just dreaming

Thanks for any info, it will be much appreciated. And if you have one you want to sell, let me know, I'll be out in 2 weeks time

James
  Send a private message to this user    
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Tue, 14 June 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Generally you will find that Aussie AE86's sell for around 2-3K for something roadworthy...But theyre slow as shit (4AC)

Then you could go for like an Aussie thats been changed to the Twincam 4AGE for around 5-6k...

Then you can go for a Jap import (which means levin and trueno, with 4AGE which can go from anywhere around 7k up to 15k...

Then you can go for something which has been heavily worked (GZE or turbo etc.) and you'll look at around 10K -15K for something like that...

Try to find yourself an Aussie AE86 with the Twin Cam 4AGE in it... For around 5K thats ur best value for money...

LiftOffOverSteer
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Tue, 14 June 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, didn't realise they didn't have the Twincam. All of them are twin cam in the UK. (And labelled Corolla GT)

All the UK models come with an LSD. I guess the aussie ones don't if they're fitted with a 4AC. Do most people fit the slipper when they fit the twincam?

Cheers
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Tue, 14 June 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiftOffOverSteer wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 07:04

I will be living in Melbourne - are there any issues with buying one in a different state and driving it back (other than the long drive obviously)?

Driving it back? I assume driving it back to Melb. Driving it back to UK u might get wet.
When you change the state of your rego you have to get the car fully inspected, If the car is stock or lightly modded and in good cond.(ie close to no rust) it shouldn't be a prob.

PS, LSD wont fit into aus 4AC sprinter, needs a different diff. Do a search on T18 or JDM rear on sprinter.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Tue, 14 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Year the AUS spec sprinter is the very bottom of the spec range when it comes to sprinters. But that is the Toyota Australia way!
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bottom of the AE86 range.
hehehe
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well what you SHOULD pay and what you will pay is different.
The prices for even australian spec non lsd and 4ac single cams have seem to gone up, a non totally rusted one seems to be around 4 grand.
between 5-10 seems to get you an aussie one with engien conversion, whether it 4age or 4age 20v or 4agze or even something else... and if lucky some may have had a whoe axle change and lsd installed (australian axles dont have an lsd nor is there one made that fits). 10-14 will get you a japanese import with 4age usually and lsd and everything else nice on a japanese one.
Cheapest option for performance is a Silvia s13 unless u have a total love affair for ae86 and want to cut homes in the bottom of your money pocket.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiftOffOverSteer wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 07:56

Damn, didn't realise they didn't have the Twincam. All of them are twin cam in the UK. (And labelled Corolla GT)

All the UK models come with an LSD. I guess the aussie ones don't if they're fitted with a 4AC. Do most people fit the slipper when they fit the twincam?

Cheers

i'll be able to tell you how hard it is soon enough. G/f's car is in NSW rego at the moment and goin into Vic reg.
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i transferred my AE86's reg from QLD to VIC not long ago... was relatively straightforward, VIC's pretty lax on the registration requirements compared to say NSW. All you need is a roadworthy cert and a reciept for the car and some registration history.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much for good condition stockers?
i seem to be gettin pretty confused lately i still remember being able to get ones for about 3k rust free Confused
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I managed to find an aus-spec sprinter for $110 and no this is not a misprint.... The only catch is the clutch was worn Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you buy it? You could have made back 200% of the cost, easily! :'D
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Wed, 15 June 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mz21_shiznac wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 23:51

Well I managed to find an aus-spec sprinter for $110 and no this is not a misprint.... The only catch is the clutch was worn Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

you know how much that depreciates it right? ill give you $50 Cool Laughing
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should find a niceish one for under 5k, dont let yourself get ripped off by these money hungry 86 selling guys who soul intention for buying an 86 is to sell it for about 3k more than they paid for it. youll be able to find one, just might take a lil while
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiftOffOverSteer wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 07:56

Cheers

there is none left in the uk matey thanx to the irish Very Happy
AEeightysix
Regular

January 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEXY 16 wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:50

those damn irish (who would allow NO smoking in pubs and clubs?)
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mz21_shiznac wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 21:51

give me your account details and you can double your money when the cash clears Razz

Eldar.O.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last year i was gonna buy a MINT oz sprinter for 900. Look hard enough and you wont get ripped.
Brentos
Regular

May 2005
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my idea on how much you should pay for a 20 yr old car??? $2 a bottle of burbon and a coffe and 50c cone from maccas.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brentos wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 00:52

my idea on how much you should pay for a 20 yr old car??? $2 a bottle of burbon and a coffe and 50c cone from maccas.

Damn then I'm going to have to go out and get myself a '67 Mustang Fastback for even less than a $2 bottle of bourbon
Brentos
Regular

May 2005
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sry i should rephrase

"my idea on how much you should pay for a 20 yr old car that is covered in takumi tax, rust and has been thrown sidways more than your best pair or pants??? $2, a bottle of burbon, a coffe and 50c cone from maccas.
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Thu, 16 June 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

We just helped two irish lads import a turbocharged trueno and a 20v levin from japan... they seem to love em over there. Wierd. Its not everyday you get calls from people asking you to organise a car to be sent from japan to ireland.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How much should I pay for an AE86? Mon, 20 June 2005 04:25 Go to previous message
funkymonkey wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 05:49

We just helped two irish lads import a turbocharged trueno and a 20v levin from japan... they seem to love em over there. Wierd. Its not everyday you get calls from people asking you to organise a car to be sent from japan to ireland.

i recon there is more in ireland than japan.. seriously Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:intercoolers
Next Topic:advice: ecu and general predicament
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:32:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074050426483154 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.