Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Wed, 15 June 2005 11:06 Go to next message
So it's been over a year since my mum's car overheated real bad due to a buggered water pump, ever since my step dad fixed it, the car has had no power.

I've thought it was timing and checked that, checked the cat converter incase it was blocked, checked the timing belt and cam's were installed properly and the car still lacked power.

Today i took the distributor out and found the centrifugal advance mechanism to be seized up to hell! there is no way that thing can advance the timing - thats why the car has no power when you floor it! (yes it's a camry but it used to go so much better)

When the distributor is installed, your supposed to be able to rotate the rotor arm and it will spring back to it's original location, well on this distributor you can barely move it, and it will stay there! the rotor will not spring back.

So anyone out there have a spare one to sell me? (3s-f / 3s-ge)
or how much toyota charge? (whole dizzy unit, or just the base part with the centrifugal mechanism)

the centrifugal mechanism has metal wieghts connected to 2 springs, this part is seized so you have to leverage with a screwdriver to move it, and the springs are not strong enought to make it return.

also noticed the vacuum advance diaphram might be leaking as it doesn't hold it's position when you put your finger over the vacuum port.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 June 2005 11:08]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Wed, 15 June 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sge will have locked dizzi as its ECU does advance control - as for older engines i not know.

i'd suggest scoring one from a nearby wreckers
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Wed, 15 June 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes your quite right, i had a look at a 3sge distributor and they aren't suitable.

wonder if any other toyo engines share the same centrifugal advance part as the sv21 camry. Rang around local wreckers and can't find diddly.

I'm also hoping the 3s-f carburettor version has the same dizzy as the 3e-fe EFI version. (my mum's camry has a carb 3s engine)

perhaps someone with the EPC could get me a part number? and also find out if any other engines also use it.

-Chris
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Thu, 16 June 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
POO! Sad

need distributor, anyone have a spare for sale? giva you $50 even if it's just the base part without the igniter.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Thu, 16 June 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All EFI 3S's will have electronic advance.

Maybe look into a 2S-C from an SV10/11 ?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: camry distributor (finally found the cuase of no power!!) Mon, 20 June 2005 01:13 Go to previous message
Yeah i found out last friday when i whent to pick up a 3s-fe dizzy, noticed it had not vaccuum diaphram, and no centrifugal weights. An extra electrical connector which was for electronic advance. No good :(-

So you reckon the 2S-C will share the same centrifugal advance?

Dunno why it's so hard to find the appropriate dizzy, seems like this carb model 3s-f engins are very rare.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rim sizes & effect on speed
Next Topic:1976 MS85 CROWN
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 13:17:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042400360107422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.