Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Car Accidnet Wed, 15 June 2005 22:37 Go to next message
Hey guys,

need a little help here. my brother has crashed my corolla into a tram thing and it wrecked the fron guard. it ends up that he has bent the chassis rail and pushed the stedering box out of allignment. we have a temporary fix atm and we just ajusted the steering arms but we have heaps of lock one way and hardly any the other Razz id we tried to pannel beat the chassis rail would it crack? can i just replace that rail? i don't really want to get a new car cause we spent alot on this one to get it on the road so i would like to keep it.

Thanks for your help, Calvin
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Accidnet Wed, 15 June 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bent chassis = job for the pros. You'll likely make it worse if you try to bodge it up yourself.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could i replace the rails? do they bolt into the front of the car?

-Calvin
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 09:01

Bent chassis = job for the pros. You'll likely make it worse if you try to bodge it up yourself.

dont bent chassis mean right off? Confused
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bent rails usually means expensive to repair (usually means write off) and often the car will never behave the same again (but not always) The rails are not a bolt on, they are part of the main subframe/chassis underpinning the whole car, so when u bend them, you have a lot of work to do to get it right again.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cal, don't try to fix this one.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Car Accidnet Thu, 16 June 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replace the car is the best way.it will never be the same,you may get it back to square but it want take the same force next time it gets crashed.your neck worth more than a car.
mick
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, its probably best to get a new car. I've bent the chassis rail in my car bad and it took 9 tonne of force to get it back in line Shocked and cannonball is probably right it wont behave the same. So unless you have HEAPS of cash to get it fixed and the car means the world to you (i hope it dosnt, its only a car) get a new one
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my brother tells me he will fix it cause he is a tight arse and doesn't want to shell out for a new shell Razz wot do u guys think about putting some load on the chassis rail as in with the direction of the car and then hitting it with hammer then to get it straight. i don't really mind if it behaves a little differently i just want the steering to be aligned.

-Calvin
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the chassis rail has been bent so as to affect the steering rack it has also probably moved the engine itself, moving the drivetrain aswell. And no you wont be able to fix it with a hammer, do you not understand how much force 9T is! Go to the pros
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what model corolla is it??

Most common cars u can still get brand new rails(although quite expensive) The panel shop i do all my work in has ordered in rails for cars and replaced them. Depending on damage they usually put it on car-o-liner, then replace rails and/or other parts, and it turns out fine. Very expensive process though. Thats why i asked u what model your car is, cuz if its new thats probably sumthing u might want to do, but if its old, ur probably best off writing it off. U have to leave sumthing like this for the pros cuz ur car wont be the same if u do a backyard quick fix
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Similiar thing happened to my first old white corolla - worked out a whole lot cheaper for someone to give me another old corolla than to screw around with it Very Happy It CAN be fixed, but cockroach Corollas are far too cheap to do this.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your brother is being a tightarse. If he didn't want to pay to fix it he shouldn't have managed to drive it into a tram in the first place! Offer him two options:
1. Buy a replacement
2. Pay to get this one professionally fixed.

A few seconds of thought will tell you which of those two is the realistic option.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new is better than fixed.
make your bro buy a new chassis.

end of discussion.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 23:53

Your brother is being a tightarse. If he didn't want to pay to fix it he shouldn't have managed to drive it into a tram in the first place! Offer him two options:
1. Buy a replacement
2. Pay to get this one professionally fixed.

A few seconds of thought will tell you which of those two is the realistic option.

the tightarse part is the major problem here because he is tight and he thinks he can fix everything. like i said i don't want it perfectly straight i just want to be able to have the steering close to normal again. and it is a KE30 btw and i don't have much money cause i am saving all for snowboarding atm so i can't really afford a new car at the moment.

thanx for your help guys,

Cheers, Calvin

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 22:43]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Car Accidnet Fri, 17 June 2005 23:19 Go to previous message
Here it is mate-he wont be able to smack the rail back into alignment with a hammer.They use a power puller or something which is basically a pneumatic extension pole which they place between the firewall and front etc and put i think about 2000psi into it (could be more,could be less?) also, it will be structurally weak, even if done properly it is weaker so im thinking a backyarder will just be furked.

And you shouldnt have to pay if he stacked it.Tell him to go get a job, earn money and pay you back or buy a new shell.THeres plenty of KE30s lying around.And if you want to keep the running gear and engine etc, rip it out and transfer it over.

The low down, it cant be fixed by you or your brother and more than likely if done by a pro you could buy at least 10 ke30s.

But then again, its your call
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engineers Supply's shop, open weekends in Sydney?
Next Topic:W50 vs P51 gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:36:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051281452178955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.