Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

GT4 Gearboxes Tue, 14 June 2005 07:45 Go to next message
I have test driven two GT4's in the past couple of days coz i'm looking a buying one. I drove a ST185 and a 165. When i drove the 185 i noticed it sucked trying to put it into second when your pushing it. Same when gearing down. My mate, a mechanic, was in the car and said what i thought it was. Synchro's. The bloke that was selling the 185 said he had just spent $2K on the gearbox but didn't know if they did synchro's. He was pretty dosile.
The 165 i drove today did exactly the same thing in second. This time from a yard. The linkages were looser than i'm used to but i dont know if this could be causing it. The fella from the yard was trying to tell me it could be oil.
I'm a bit worried that this gearbox thing isn't a coincidence. Can anyone with any GT4 gearbox experience explain the situation for me. It'd be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 Gearboxes Tue, 14 June 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because the GT4 is a bit of a heavy thing they often get driven at high RPM's which tends to chew through the synchro's pretty quickly.

The linkage can also get a bit worn over time but it doesn't feel the same as worn synchro's... i.e. it feels like you get stuck on one of the gates (because you are) rather than just crunching gears like you get with worn synchro's.

Gearbox oil (or lack thereof) can make the problem more obvious and in some cases (where thicker oil is used) mask the problem.

Also ask the guy at the car yard that since he thought gearbox oil was the problem why didn't he spend the few bucks and change it / top it up... give him a tech tip and say it takes 75W/90
PS I hate used car dealers like this.
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: GT4 Gearboxes Thu, 16 June 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 Gearboxes Thu, 16 June 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
Bump what?
Do you have more q's?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Superstrut disc thickness