Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 00:44 Go to next message
need help regarding overheating with my KE55

temp gauge goes high when idleing,up to max temp.
But goes down a 2/3 when driving.
But this does'nt happened everyday driving to work.
Only happens everynow and then.

I changed the radiator cover and monitor the coolant level and its always full.I dont think there's any leak at all.

Now do you think I need a new radiator?
or this could be thersmostat issue?

and yes I changed radiator and heater hoses as well.

thanks guys!!!
Natrad will charge 260buck for new one
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is you fan working? Sounds like the rad is working if you car is 2/3 temperature when moving. And it sounds like the fan isn't working if you're overheating at idle, which I'm assuming when you're stuck in traffic.

EDIT: Shit... 2/3 temp when moving ain't good. Had a brain-blank for a minute while I was typing a reply. Maybe its the water pump?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 00:48]

Razor
Regular

May 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to check your water pump

check in the radiator by taking the cap off (cold engine) then let the engine idle and see if the coolant is flowing try revving the engine see if its flowing like it should kinda like suck the coolant down.

then if thats flowing nicely

then remove your fan belt wiggle the water pump pulley it should be firm and not play also turn the pulley if its good it will move freely and smotthly.
Look for leaks as well as it normally leaks if there's something wrong with the water pump.

Check you thermostat if its operating as spec

Did you change you coolant and let the air pockets out?

Check temp sender unit, maybe faulty and the wiring

Check your gauge that might be faulty.
1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IF THE WATER is not moving when you start it?

does it mean my radiator is stuffed?
Crying or Very Sad

thanks guys!!
bmews
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't see the water move until the thermostat opens so leave the cap off while it warms up and watch. DO NOT remove the cap later when the engine is hot or you will have a load of hot water in your face.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 05:22]

Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wats it like on the freeway? if it heats up on the freeway its normally a good indication of a blocked radiator

might be good idea to remove the radiator and flush it with water both ends to try n clean it out

Razor
Regular

May 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Fri, 17 June 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mentioned it only happens every now and then maybe your gauge is faulty or loose connection?

was your driving style the same, distance of travelling, too much traffic?

have you checked your thermostat?

any hoses that are kinked?

running lean?

hard to tell

take your car to a radiator shop and they can tell you whats wrong with your cooling system
normally its free to get it checked.
then from there you can change the part/s that needs replacing.
goodluck
PMP020
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: overheating KE55 Sat, 18 June 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with razor on that one.

if your realy not that clued on to the whole workings of the cooling system id also recommend just goin to ur local radiator place and ask for some assistance.

if there nice they should have a quik chek for ya for free most
places are suckers for nice lil corollas.

cheers scott
1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Mon, 20 June 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tHANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!

i'll get it checked soon!!

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: overheating KE55 Mon, 20 June 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for help everyone. My ke70 was running a bit warmer today on highway so I will do these checks also.

Stupid thing is it was at 1/3 temp on friday, same drive today in same temp and it is at nearly 2/3's Confused
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: overheating KE55 Mon, 20 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

wats it like on the freeway? if it heats up on the freeway its normally a good indication of a blocked radiator

My other car had a bit of an overheating problem lately, was a dead thermostat. On the highway the temperature guage was just as hot as it would be at idle, purely because the water wasnt flowing through the radiator.

Thermostat can be a good place to start, its cheap and easy to change. If the problem has come on progressively over a long period its a good chance its radiator related. If it comes on quite suddenly (e.g a week) its probably a good chance to be thermostat. These are just my findings with my cooling problems.

If you are really cheap pull the thermostat out and see if it makes any significant difference. If it does, go buy a new one.

We had a ke55 bush basher, it was very difficult to make overheat. After 2 minutes chained to a tree doing a burnout on a concrete pad, it finally started to get up to about 7/8's temp (read of course by the bent upwards needle).

It might also be an idea to try an independant temperature guage, to be sure that it is truely overheating. Im sure the in dash one is getting a tad old now anyway.
1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Tue, 21 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 00:33]

1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Tue, 21 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 00:34]

1ZZFEWagon
Regular

August 2004
Re: overheating KE55 Tue, 21 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys...thanks again for your help!!!
did some reading on your other posts and checked my engine oil cap last night.
Found some mocha colour stuff on it,that explained why Im loosing coolant all the time!!!

blown head gasket!!!!

now how much would that cost to replace??? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: overheating KE55 Tue, 21 June 2005 02:38 Go to previous message
Keen to DIY or do you want to take it somewhere? Would be an easy one to start on Smile

Wouldnt cost too much either way.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine hunting problem
Next Topic:4k with 3k head???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 18:27:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.013293981552124 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.