Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:20 Go to next message
Hey all, has anyone had experience with the older mid 1980's 4 runners? Opinions? Are they an alright 4wd?

Just after something to get away camping in on the weekends, something that can tow the RA28 around as trying to get serious with track days now.

Maybe down the track chuck a 1uz or 1jz in? if they fit? Smile

Cheers
Joel

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 01:27]

Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no persoanl experince myself, but my uncle used to have one, was alright but he did have a few problems with it, mind you he doesn't really take care of his carsso thats probably why.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My work mate here has a late 80/early 90 model! I think its a female cause its got no balls at all. It needs and engine conversion badly Confused
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it diesel or petrol ?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was my uncles main complaint he had a petrol one and it was a slug, main reason he probably had reliabilty problems was he had to ring its neck to get it anywhere
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently 1uz do fit and there conversion kits around so im told, i have a 94 model with the 3l v6 which dosnt go too bad and tows the celica around ok, but i think the mid 80s came out with the 2l, my old man had one years ago they go ok but a bit gutless and may struggle with the towing duties.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its an 89 model with a 2.4 petrol. Apart from the no balls he reckons the rest is nice and solid. His has a tiny bit of rust in the bottom of one door.
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be aware also toyota had a recall on the later model ones faulty head gasket or something similar.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 runners - opinions? Thu, 16 June 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks all for these ideas.. sound like they not too bad apart from being gutless.

Would like to get the 90's one with the V6 but dont know if I go ahead with all this the budget probably wont stretch that far.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 runners - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might get flamed for this.. But seems Nissan Pathfinder around the mid 80s also might be an option?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know its a bit bigger but not by much, but we had a pajero from 1990 the boxy shape and it was pretty good owned it from new until 2003 and had very few problems with it, a few minor ones but that was it. 3.0L V6 to.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 4 runner of this era will come with the r series petrol or L series diesel, usually the 2.4 litre 2L, they are all slugs and shit for towing. The earlier model import 4 runner / surfs had the 2LT 2.4 turbo diesel but these are also crap, used to be one in my bundy before I dropped the 1JZ in there. Your best option would be to get the aussie delivered V6 4 runner which came out around 89 - 90 or the import surf with the 3 litre turbo diesel.

The other option is to go for the earlier 4 runner and fit a 7mge, 7mgte, 1jzgte, 2jzge or 1uz.

Take a look at this link http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I owned an '88 YN63 4Runner for a few years, it had the 2.2l 4Y engine and it was a slug, even when it was unladen. Try and tow a decent load (as I did once) and you will almost be tempted to put the transfer case into low range just to get it to move anywhere. Was lucky to see 20mpg out of it as well, even on the freeway. Basically they were just too small an engine to be carrying all that weight around.

On the plus side it was very reliable, and quite capable off road. Had quite a few great camping trips to Straddie with it. And it was fun to take the fibreglass top off and drive around too. Cool

If you're going to be towing anything, one of the 2nd generation ones with the V6 would be a much better bet IMO.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u buy a terrano or surf SXR-D-T-X {or whatever the suffix is}, i will enlarge your asshole in the most voilent way possible
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 10:11

Yeah I owned an '88 YN63 4Runner for a few years, it had the 2.2l 4Y engine and it was a slug, even when it was unladen. Try and tow a decent load (as I did once) and you will almost be tempted to put the transfer case into low range just to get it to move anywhere. Was lucky to see 20mpg out of it as well, even on the freeway. Basically they were just too small an engine to be carrying all that weight around.

On the plus side it was very reliable, and quite capable off road. Had quite a few great camping trips to Straddie with it. And it was fun to take the fibreglass top off and drive around too. Cool

If you're going to be towing anything, one of the 2nd generation ones with the V6 would be a much better bet IMO.

Good point, forgot about the Y motors.

Low range to get it moving Laughing
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the 4runner we had an 1986 i think 2door sr5
we sold it a 315 000km (was still going strong) and only every had to change a few light globes
we took it off road (like hard core style not just dirt tracks) and my dad thrashed it everyday never missed a beat

get one they are seriously a good buy
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Fri, 17 June 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and i forgot to say that they are slow as shit like really slow

ur grandmothers scooter would WOOP its ASS

that was pretty much the only down side
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Sat, 18 June 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have a 91 VZE130R 4runner. It's the V6 SR5 LTD so it's got pwr windows, cruise control, auto locking hubs, etc.

The only "offroad" it's seen is pulling onto the gravel on the side of the road Embarassed Laughing .

The V6 is a little under powered but still tows pretty well. The V6's had a problem, apparently with the valves recessing into the head. We had the heads done at toyota and it cost about $2500. I only took it to toyota because I had heard of the problem with the heads and wanted to get it done properly. Turned out I knew more about the problem than the service adviser did Rolling Eyes .

If you have little kids you can fit 2 baby seats in the back but there isn't much room left.

Our car drives very nicely on the road and doesn't have the "boat" feeling of some larger 4wd's.

It is a bit heavy on fuel too but I don't think I would trade it for anything else.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 4 runners/Pathfinders mid 80s - opinions? Sat, 18 June 2005 05:23 Go to previous message
maybe a ford raider might be an option ?
I had a friend with one and it went pretty well both on and off road.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v question
Next Topic:Crabs Latest Drifting fun
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:32:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057311058044434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.