Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
icon9.gif  4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 14:10 Go to next message
ok, im a bit of an engine noob, but things arent looking good from where i stand.
ive had my unregistered 4age spoonter for a few months but ive only driven it about 80kms, and this is because ive been busy at uni. Since i bought it ive noticed the crank pully wobbling maybe .5 to 1mm. 2 seperate mechanics have looked over the car and said nothing so i didnt worry about it
......until.....
today im flushing the radiator and i notice a slight clicking noise coming from the alternator/ wobbly crank pulley area, sounded like a bearing or something. so after some head scratching etc i jump on the trusty internet and find this is something to start worrying about. A possibly screwed crankshaft.
my plan was to have it on the road within the next 3 weeks, i have $1k to fix it with.

any help for a fellow modder? advice? ideas? experiences?
anything appreciated.

P.S im going to get the mechanic to check it out next week.

Thanks, Pat
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 00:10

any help for a fellow modder? advice?

Advice? Unsecure crank pulley is a Bad Thing(tm). The mechanic not mentioning anything about it doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong, just that they haven't checked/noticed it (they don't pull your car to bits and put it back together again looking for problems just because you put it in for an oil change really).

Tried torquing up the crank pulley bolt?
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Smile , ill try tightening it in the morning, supposing my socket wrench fails, whats the best thing to use?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 00:50

thanks Smile , ill try tightening it in the morning, supposing my socket wrench fails, whats the best thing to use?

your spare car to get a better set of sockets....
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha, very helpful Razz
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Fri, 17 June 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Single hex socket. Long extension. Lock the engine down so it doesn't rotate. In gear with clutch engaged and handbrake on should do it.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sat, 18 June 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to see someone on the side of mechanics for once Wink

crank pulley bolts arent really something that needs to be torqued, i find about 5 daka daka's on the rattle gun should be enough, but having said that i doubt you have a rattle gun so get a breaker bar on a single hex socket. wedge the socket under the chasis rail and give the starter a quick flick. this will to the sucker up plenty tight Smile use this method on the opposite chasis rail for undoing the bolt.
alwyn
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sat, 18 June 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loose Crank pulleys and worn keyways and crankshafts are not uncommon.
Over my many years in the auto industry with Toyota I have replaced dozens of worn crankshafts and pulleys.....usually under warranty.
There should be little or no runout on the pulley.
This needs to be checked carefully thoroughly and accurately.
Some timely use of loctite on the keyway and threads might save the day if the damage is not to far gone.
cheers
Alwyn
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sat, 18 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, tightening the bolt had no effect so ive taken the bolt off. problem is the pulley wont budge. how can i get the bastard off?

cheers
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sun, 19 June 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keyway is bent, new crank i guess Sad
alwyn
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sun, 19 June 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK
Chances are that pulley and crank nose are worn or simply pulley is bent due to previous accident damage.
To remove pulley best to use universal puller if available.
Thes pulleys are a clearance fit therefore should not require great force to remove.
Try two levers or large srewdrivers behind the pulley levering against something metalic (not the plastic belt covers) whilst tapping the side of the pulley with a soft faced hammer or striking the end of the crank with the bolt screwed in by hand leaving clearance fot the pulley to move.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Sun, 19 June 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate, i managed to get the pulley off and the keyway the pulley slides onto is stuffed. is this replacable or do i need a new crank?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Mon, 20 June 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its just the key itself you can replace it, but usually the slot in the crank will be slightly enlarged. the key should fit in snug.
when i put my gze in i found there was movement and when i took the pulley off i found the keyway on the crank was slightly enlarged as was the slot in the pulley. i just got a new wedge and pulley and put on a shit load of loctite and all is good. couple of years down the track ive had the pulley off and its still the same, no extra damage.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age crank pulley worries Mon, 20 June 2005 08:45 Go to previous message
cheers mate, that sounds like the go, its the key itself that is bent, along with the slot in the pulley. im not sure what the keyway is like yet. looks like ill be up for a new key and pulley at least. Confused Crying or Very Sad

thanks for your help, much appeciated Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Axel Tramp
Next Topic:Battery Cutoff Switch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 18:23:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055289268493652 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.