Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 06:13 Go to next message
Alright, so I'm a bit of an impulse buyer. what are everyone's opinions on this setup I just bought (it sounded good in the shop ok? Smile)

rockford head unit with 3 x 5v pre-amp outputs
rockford 4 channel 800w amp (don't ask me the specifics yet, it's in the boot of josh's car)
rockford 10" kicker sub
clarion 6" splits up front with twin tweeters
unknown (josh, fill in here?) 6" rears (much more bass than the clarions)
  Send a private message to this user    
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on what you paid. high voltage preouts are always good for allowing you to reduce the gain on your amp. although i have never heard of a 5v one before, are these new anyone??? if your not planning on upgrading i hope you didn't pay extra to get 3 preouts because at most you will only use two, maybe even just one.

But other then that without actually sitting down and going through the specs it sounds alright. as long as you think the car sounds nicer then i wouldn't worry about it. i feel i am obtaining perfect sound from my system but don't like listening to better systems, cause if i don't hear better then mine is still the best lol
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparantly fosgate HU's are nothing to write home about....

that said, it looks like you got yourself an awesome system

rockford 10" kicker sub

ummm, ok...

most people nowadays go for 2 12" woofers, its good to see someone with some sense, not going overboard.

myself, im planning to run 2 10" woofers, simply because of the way i want my custom boot install to look.

nice choice mate Smile

Eldar.O.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like it will be loud and clear
thats all that matters to me in the end

with a car like mine audio isnt really a big thing tho Smile
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven,
I think a 10inch sub is litte bit small for the MA61 Very Happy
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Dunno mate, sorry. I'm with ae86drift. I'm not in my car enough to warrant a big kickarse sound system, and I think it'd ruin the classic restoration of the car to put one in.

Your stuff sounds impressive. Go on the net and check out the specs to see how it stacks up against other systems. I'm sure it'll be plenty loud enough and it will only be a matter of time before I hear the sounds of your doof-doof echoing all the way to Castle Hill! Smile

seeyuzz
river
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u r using the amp just to power the single sub {only 2 channels will be getting used}, then u may have been better buying a smaller amp and maybe upgrading the head unit or front splits,

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT,

having said that, u can then later on buy another amp to power the sub and use the 4 ch to better efficiency to power the splits and rears

then u will be using all the 3 preouts

give us some model numbers of the equipment and some prices if u dont mind
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the amp will be powering the sub and the rears.

I don't listen to doof, so I had no desire at all to get 5 20" subs in the boot (or anyhting like that). the 10" is plenty big enough to add the required depth to the music without turning my car into a wog chariot, or ruining the sound of good music.

The aim of this system is crystal clear rock, pop and metal, and this should be plenty. I'm not in my car all that much either, but I do make trips to melbourne often enough to make it well worth while having a good system. And I love music Smile part numbers will come along tonight, when josh drops all my stuff off.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a decent SQ system setup. I'd be running the front splits off the amp along with the sub. let your h/unit power the rears.

Personally i would have gone for a 12" sub though. its a good all-rounder size for all types of music. Smile
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer ive found splits dont perform as well unless u amp them if u amp them they sound unreal.. im with aust162 let the hu power the rears and amp the splits...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Aust162 and Berad about using the amp for the splits. You don't want the sound stage to the rear if you can help it.

Are you using a sealed or ported box for the sub? I always liked really low tuned ported boxes for my subs.
Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a sweet system. good choice for the sub, i've got a 10" sub in mine and it is perfect. theres lots of base and very thumpy if need be. send us some pics once you put the splits and rears in. when i get round to it i'll do the same.
Spence
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10"??? wont even hear the things going at full piss. Just buy a 15" I put myn in my seca and that pisses off allot of copa's Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't care about fully sik mayte bass that flexes my windows and gets da pigz pizzed off and pulls da most pussy bro.

I care about a good balanced sound. the main difference between this 10 and the 12 is about 4Hz bottom end in favour of the 12, about about 100 in favour of the 10 up the top end. volume really isn't going to be tested to it's limits.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 19:00

10"??? wont even hear the things going at full piss. Just buy a 15" I put myn in my seca and that pisses off allot of copa's Very Happy

hahaha youre a wog arent you?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

draven wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 20:06

I care about a good balanced sound. the main difference between this 10 and the 12 is about 4Hz bottom end in favour of the 12, about about 100 in favour of the 10 up the top end. volume really isn't going to be tested to it's limits.

Sounds perfect for listening to some old 70's rock. I've burnt 3CDs of some of my old stuff. It's brilliant to listen to while driving, or at home on the big system. If you want I can copy them for you. Failing that I got some Slade and old Trex and other stuff that's just sooooo cool that my engine pulls an extra 20kW!!!!!

seeyuzz
river
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 19:00

You sound like you are really into your doof doof Rolling Eyes
I would like to see a 15" sub keep up with some double kick metal goodnes Very Happy
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol no Im not a wog. I just needed a sub to keep up with my other speakers as my old 12 faded out when it was turned right up. Yes im into the doof doof Very Happy each is to there own.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds awesome river! I am heavily into the old rock.. and despite not being alive when they were big, have been to Yes! and Jethro Tull gigs Smile

I care nothing for doof doof, at all ever. I want minimal lag, hence the 10" is perfect. 12 would have been the biggest I'd consider.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Don't forget to add all this audio stuff to an extensive list of things on your car to your sig..... just for September Squall Wink

seeyuzz
river
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have got rockford splits and got sponsorship with RF lol Cool . For a metal head that system sounds fine....is the sub box ported or sealed?.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rears aren't rockford either - I just mixed and matched what sounded best - the rockford stuff was simply better than the alpine (which I was gonna go originally), and not much more expensive.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 22:05

Hi,

Don't forget to add all this audio stuff to an extensive list of things on your car to your sig..... just for September Squall Wink

seeyuzz
river

LOL Kill kill kill... hehehe
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Sun, 19 June 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 20:54

that sounds awesome river! I am heavily into the old rock.. and despite not being alive when they were big, have been to Yes! and Jethro Tull gigs Smile

FUCK YES, want to start an MA61 + 1JZ + Jethro Tull appreciation club? Razz Dad's got most of their cds, hence me really enjoying their music.

Let me know how it all turns out, quality wise, cause you're after exactly the same output from your stereo as I want, clarity and depth above all.

*Sits back to listen to Aqualung*
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to make you jealous, I also had front row centre seats to roger waters at the entertainment centre Smile
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a great setup, wish all my impulse buys were like this Razz

hehehe
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought you were complaining about your car being a fat pig then you go and buy a load of audio gear to put into it Confused
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, I know Razz
most of this weight is going in the arse tho, which is where it actually needs more weight. I've gotta make savings up front.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good man. Definetly run the front speakers off the amp, will sound much better, and do you sit in the rear of your car? No.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with most people here run the front splits off the amp along with the sub, and run the rears off the H/U for rear fill. A 10inch sub is fine for what you want as long as the box is build correctly. In general terms when you go to a concert you are looking at the stage and hearing the music from in front, that is what you are trying to recreate in a cars (crammped) environnment. Power the fronts, use the F/R fade to bring the rears up to a point where you can start hearing the sound "image" shift toward you as you sit in the car and find where you like it.

If at all possible try to build a small box for your rears speakers to enhance the bass so as to fill the void between the hi freq of the sub and the low of the front splits.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg, want my custom ma61, tuned, ported enclosure for the 10" ??? fits perfectly behind the seats between the towers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Mon, 20 June 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only problem there is that's where my battery is Smile

and I tried to call you the other day while I was spending most of my day at nepean hospital, but you wouldn't answer!
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The theory seems that the 10 isn't enough. i have an awesome SQ car with a single 10 in a ported box. if any thinks this is dodgy i can easily vibrate the loose bits all over the car, i have had to turn it down because it makes too much noise. i think single 10's are good. I have had a system in each of my 4 cars, usually 2 x 12's but the 10 woops them all because you don't need a ridiculous amp to run them. i think the system with a bit of tuning will sound good.

If you are serious about quality sound PM me and i will send you all the software to design good boxes for the sub.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 13:55

Sounds good man. Definetly run the front speakers off the amp, will sound much better...

I disagree,

Get another amp and run ALL speakers of amps. Razz

You will never go back. EVER.

-Adam
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Touche...but not practical Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the amp is genuinly 800WRMS (4x200WRMS) thats some major overkill.
On the flipside it would keep the distortion down... just make sure you don't overdrive the speakers.
Bridge 2 of the channels for the sub and build a nice tight sealed enclosure for it to keep the sound quality.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a feeling it's 800w peak. but to be honest I don't actually remember, proper details at a later date Smile

oh, and the rear speakers did turn out to be rockfords as well Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 13:55

Sounds good man. Definetly run the front speakers off the amp, will sound much better, and do you sit in the rear of your car? No.

the irony is, most of the doof doof VS Commo wogs look like they're sitting in the back seat Confused

Eldar.O.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I hate impulse buys - opinions on this audio setup Tue, 21 June 2005 09:16 Go to previous message
ok, the full specs on everything:

Head Unit: Rockford RFX9210. 5V pre-amp outs.
Amp: Rockford P4004 4 channel 400W RMS amp.
Sub: single 10" SVC 150w RMS
Component speakers: pair of Rockford P162S 6.5" woofers with 4 tweeters. 60w RMS
Full range speakers: pair of Rockford FRC4306 6.5" 50w RMS speakers.

so in the end it was all rockford gear (it sounded better than the other stuff I thought I'd bought, now that I think back)
Obviously not a super power system, but the quality is awesome, and it will make more volume than I will ever need.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help needed..Dull spots in paint need to be fixed!
Next Topic:sending engine from sydney to brisbane??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 09:26:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074079036712646 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.