Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 19 June 2005 13:33 Go to next message
Firstly, can anyone who owns a T18 diff tell me if the axles vary in length.. and if so by how many mm (is it obvious).

Secondly, I recently did the T18 rear end conversion to the AE86, then got my brand new 2way cusco unit installed in the centre professionaly (they also installed new carrier bearings), then whacked it in.. went through correct run in procedure, inwhere It started making a 'knocking sound' when Id turn left off a set of lights.

Immediately took it home, put it up on stands, all links, panhard joints are fine, put it in gear to notice my rims werent balanced too well so $150 in brand new axle bearings later and balanced wheels and the knocking sound problem is still there.

Its intermittant, Ive taken friends for a spin sitting in the rear to listen out for it, and the extra weight seems to make it dissapear but then it'll return.

It sounds extremely unhealthy when it happens.. and no its not just regular 'jerking of the wheels due to the lsd tightness' it literally sounds asif the axle is knocking against the outer housing repeatadly. Even after taking the axles out after this.. there is nothing noitcable. It's happened at different speeds from standing starts to fairly tight cornering at 60.

Im guessing its a panhard problem, but it looks fine... anyone experienced anything like this?

Its basically only happens when I turn left. And sounds to me asif its coming from the right rear axle side.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2005 13:35]

Send a private message to this user    
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 19 June 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I've got the same (or similar) knocking sound too. I'm running an RA23 diff with a Cusco center too. Not sure if it's only left hand turns, but it happens on some turns. I don't have a panhard rod.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only axle variation I've seen is that RA60 and RT132 axles are 10mm longer than T18 ones. You can't bolt the backing plate down properly unless you trim them, so you'd know if you had the wrong axles.

Hen
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22, RA23 also have different lengths.

http://images9.fotki.com/v181/photos/1/12090/21626/PICT2313-vi.jpg

RA40, RA23, TA22. Notice that TA22 also have smaller bearings.

chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cusco rs 2-way?
i thought the same after my install, but its just normal.
possibly the wear in process wasnt perfect, but it will be fine, it sounds exactly like what mine does.
Ive also been told that other cars with mechanical 2-ways sound the same.
The TRD diffs are less aggressive and should be nicer to drive, but id assume cusco, kaaz and OS Giken would all be like this, the 2-way mechanicals anyway, they are simply like lockers, but much better Evil or Very Mad

enjoy it dude, dont worry, plenty of us hear this sound.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is a cusco RS 1.5 way.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisellis wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 11:53

cusco rs 2-way?
i thought the same after my install, but its just normal.
possibly the wear in process wasnt perfect, but it will be fine, it sounds exactly like what mine does.
Ive also been told that other cars with mechanical 2-ways sound the same.
The TRD diffs are less aggressive and should be nicer to drive, but id assume cusco, kaaz and OS Giken would all be like this, the 2-way mechanicals anyway, they are simply like lockers, but much better Evil or Very Mad

enjoy it dude, dont worry, plenty of us hear this sound.

Well, I drove a locker for 6months on the street prior to this. So I know what the 'jerking of the car' feels/sounds like when turning. I just find it strange that its so intermittant. There are times when u can hear/feel it locked up and there is a slight jerking.. which you expect but this sound just sounds so damn wrong Confused Although I guess it is a possibilty that it is THAT agreesive when it engages/disengages Its weird that it happens only when i turn left.

Guess Ill just see how she goes..
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Knocking sound is probably just the diff. Pretty common, and its just the locking mechanism ramping up n down, between fully locked and ...well... not fully locked.
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What oil are you using and have you changed it since break in? Mine was a bit clunky after break in using that cheap castrol shit. Changing to penrite shut it up though. Does it still do it if you turn while off power?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to confirm, T18 axles are definately equal lengths Smile

LSD chatter is not normally such a harsh clunking sound. Do you also hear the knock when you take off, or change gears, like backlash/worn unis?

Cheers
Phil
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 20:39

Just to confirm, T18 axles are definately equal lengths Smile

LSD chatter is not normally such a harsh clunking sound. Do you also hear the knock when you take off, or change gears, like backlash/worn unis?

Cheers
Phil

Actually 2nd -> 3rd upshift under abit of load it sometimes makes the 'clunk' sound once as i disengage clutch. (this is in a straight line).

thanks for confirming the axles are equal.. I heard from a few sources they werent, and after looking at them then measuring them I thought I was going insane.. or perhaps someone had replaced them along the line and put the wrong one in.. heh. Well atleast thats dispelled.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 11:20]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mumblezzz wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 20:18

What oil are you using and have you changed it since break in? Mine was a bit clunky after break in using that cheap castrol shit. Changing to penrite shut it up though. Does it still do it if you turn while off power?

heh yeh i used the cheap castrol shit for break in... ran 100km.. pulled axles out after the sound, so then refilled with cheap castrol shit again.. am planing for penrite after it hits 500km..

well. clutch disengaged while turning made no sound. but turning with no accell.. im pretty sure it didnt either.
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Mon, 20 June 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine used to make a big clunk when you shifted while accelerating and turning. So I'd assume thats normal. I'd say try a different oil. The funky blue penrite stuff went pretty well.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Tue, 21 June 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul: Glad to hear that someone else is got the same clunking sound, I was starting to worry Razz
loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sat, 25 June 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stressing out!!! What is wrong with my $1500 part!?

Mad Confused Shocked Sad Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 00:12]

loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put in my Cusco LSD Type-RS. The same clunky noise comes from my drivers side to, it kept me up all night last night searching for loose link bolts or tail shaft bolts. Im using a T18 rear end with a RA40 diff housing. It seems to go away after doing figure eights, and slowly return over time, maybe it is still wearing in.

Does anyone have a fully weared in Cusco Clunker that still has this problem?

Personally I thought that because the Type-RS was a spring loaded type LSD it would be fairly quiet, but from what I've experienced and read...

Ha! Laughing

Does decent synthetic oil make that much of a difference?

Maybe we should have a 'clunkers' meeting to compare sounds?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its just the locker engaging as mentioned before, it wont do it with the clutch in because there is no load on the gearbox/tailshaft/lsd, hence no load = no lsd?

It will happen when driving straight too if you shove enough power to it in a hurry.

Just ensure everything is tight, oil is fresh and enjoy the drifting.

fwiw somehow i dont think this type of diff is designed to be street user friendly, more motorsport orientated, so you just gotta put up with it.

Thats what i reckon anyway.

Cheers

Steve
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my cusco rs 2-way is fully worn in, it still makes this sound, i only hear it at low speeds when turning, and changing load on the lsd, eg, clutch out and in while parking, while modifying throttle also.

Its not a street friendly diff, its noisy, and hard to drive with at low speeds, but it does what its built for to perfection when used.

They cluck, mechaincal 2-way lsd's actully have the label "clunkers" anyone wanting to meet up and compare clunks im more than willing to attend, i sugguest a drfit day Very Happy

Happy drifting. Chris
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I dont think its exactly a problem with the diff. You just have to accept that an extremely tight aftermarket LSD is not going to be as street friendly as a factory item. It will probably go away after a while of use. I know mine was a noisy bastard when I broke it in but that was a day before a drift event so a bit of hard use will quieten it down. You will still get the occasional pop and bang but it wont be all the time.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFS. Mad it's a mechanical diff! they make noise! Rolling Eyes

bunch of fairies. Very Happy

"i just put rose jointed trailing arms in the back of my old POS ae86 sprinter! now it clunks when i take my foot off the throttle, and when i put it back on! i spent 9 hours under the car last night because i was worried about it falling apart!! i checked every nut and bolt, but they were all tight...what can i do?"

buy a late model front wheel drive corolla and stop your whinging. i don't understand it. you want to have an old car, and rice it up with LSD's, and loud exhausts, and coilovers, and urethane bushes, and all the good shit, and then whinge about it making a few clunks on the street? buy a daily, and stop driving your modified car on the street...that'll fix the noise issues, cos you won't hear it on the track with your helmet on, and with the tacho reading 9,000rpm!

geez
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said!

go the 86 Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old LSD is clunking but i think thats because its fucked.. hahaha
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps. the noise you are talking about drew happened in my car a long time ago

ALWAYS at the same sharp downhill left hand turn at a stop sign

it literally sounds like something is 'grabbing' and then letting go...
ummm

kinda like holding the bottom end of a stick and bending the top end back and letting go so it hits something, "twang" but more clunky...

hehe, but anyhow its normal and is louder once you tighten it up real nice too

ps is anyone knowingly running a 4.5 or higher ring and pinion?
what KIND of a whirr sound is it?
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think they were whinging about extra noise, but rather checking if to see it was a normal sound
loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, you really rwally need to back off!!!

I realise how agressive the Cusco is, this sound just doesn't sound normal, almost like the crown wheel is shifting just enough off the top of the pinion wheel to slip.

Cusco LSD are not rice!!!

If you dont have anything constructive to add to this thread...
f**k off and go put some more neons on your wanky Exels/Lancers
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
says the child with 'boyracer' in his nick...

Quote:

Stressing out!!! What is wrong with my $1500 part!?

says how much you know about cars.

why did you put an LSD in your car? are you going to drift/race it on the track? prolly not...therefore, rice. Wink

chillax dude..
loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Race at Wakefeild and go to practice drift days at Oran Park and Eastern Creek, but more than anything I love running on the Touge (Megalong/Old Pac/Maquarie Pass/Cliff drive/Winmalee Dropoff)

Come out some time and stop hiding behind behind the forums!!

I'm going to pull out the center again, that noise just isn't normal (Wheel slipping I can handle... this, this is so wrong!)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve haha lay off man! u sikkunt driftor u! Laughing

keven its pretty normal man. how loud is it?
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is everyone stressing out over it??? Maybe im just used to my car making all kinds of fucked up noises. Seriously, if its kicking two then it all good. I'd start to worry if it was kicking one leggers. I thought all the clunking and banging was cool. Let's you know its there.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if anything this thread and the contributions have settled the arguement forsure for all people in the future and the current bunch of first timers experiencing it. like myself.

I think its fair to be worried, I spent $1280 on an lsd, $200 on the rear end, $150 on centre install/shimm, $150 for brand new axle bearings and some long hours putting it all in, into the night after long days at work.. and then it was making the unhollyest sound Ive ever heard (this is after riding in numerous hachis with lsds and other cars with aftermarket lsds' and never hearing such a thing)

I suppose I should get out more.. but now I know. Its normal. But it still makes me cringe... guess I'll just have to permanently use handbrake to turn on the street Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you think youve spent money? hahahahaha

lets tally it shall we

$1200 lsd
$550 4.5 ring and pinion
$400 JDM wheel bearings
$100 diff side and pinion bearings
$250+ for the install...

Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 11:47]

Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay for bodgeyness back yard jobs Wink

LSD $1280
T-18 rear axle $150
T series tailshaft Free (Thank you Beau Wink)
4.1 ring and pinion from RA40 $80
Bearings Free (used the ones from the RA40 cause in top condition) will be getting new ones soon though for $50
Install Free (Thank you Steve, John, Kris and Keven).
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, your wreckers charge a bomb.

LSD: $1280
T-18 Diff with tailshaft: $75
RA40 4.1 R&P: $30
Bearings: $30
Install $220

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loki boyracer wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 18:58

I realise how agressive the Cusco is, this sound just doesn't sound normal, almost like the crown wheel is shifting just enough off the top of the pinion wheel to slip.

trust me when i say this. if the crown wheel was slipping against the pinion gear you would KNOW it for sure. it makes the loudest most god aweful noise./shuddering possible... lol kinda like a jackhammer concert Wink `
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 22:57

trust me when i say this. if the crown wheel was slipping against the pinion gear you would KNOW it for sure. it makes the loudest most god aweful noise./shuddering possible... lol kinda like a jackhammer concert Wink `

hey wow, they wee playing live in the back of my car 5 weeks ago
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Sun, 26 June 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and they're playing in teh back of my car now...occasionally they all stop, and the whole ass end of the car locks up in time with a REALLY big bang Laughing

funny as fuck to hear Very Happy
loki boyracer
Regular

October 2004
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Tue, 28 June 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I now have confirmation that the knocking sound is not the 'usual LSD' sound. Tonight I pulled out the axles, thinking I might have stripped the splines. Unfortunatly not, tomorrow I'll pull out the center...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Tue, 28 June 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has it been shimmed incorrectly?

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 11:02]

mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Tue, 28 June 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFS have you guys ever been in other cars with good quality lsd'd this noise is normal, happens in any mech lsd, you dont hear it in your old locker because there is NO movement, this noise is simply the lsd mechanism WORKING like it should!

garth, i have 4.6 in my diff at the moment, they are very noisy, like cant hear myself talking above 70km/h, but they were old and worn and i got them for $50 ! hahahahahaha.

if it has a very loud whine possibly the backlash has been set incorrectly. we did mine at home in the bench vice last time pretty easy, and that set had no whine at all, the new 4.6 im running( read old crapy second hand set) had been 'lapped' a few times so we knew they would be noisy.....
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T18 Axle q.. and LSD install = 'knocking sound' ..? Tue, 28 June 2005 22:20 Go to previous message
my 5.1 is loud but has done heaps of rallys, but i cant hear any noise over the quads so its all good Very Happy

Ben.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST141
Next Topic:4AGTE clutches what is REALLY needed!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:54:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082640647888184 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.