Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mxchris69
Occasional Poster

Banned User

June 2004
fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 06:33 Go to next message
does any1 know if u r goin 4 to 5ks over the limit do the fixed speed cameras still fine u
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nod
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to my knowledge NO

ive tested them b4

also they dont grab ya if ur heading towards them
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

interesting claim, can this be substantiated?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 16:53

Quote:

Well I've never seen a fixed camera grab anyone. All I've seen them to is flash and take pictures. Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm led to believe that a speed camera will only catch the traffic on the same side of the road as it is on, which means it always takes the photo from behind. this is unsubstantiated on all cameras, but I can garantee it for at least 3 in my area
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im would say im 99% sure this is true.

i read somewhere the the camera needs to be calibrated, depending on whether it is going to fuck over people travelling towards it, or away from it.

also, you have to be doing 3km/h over the acceptable limit. ie, in a 60 zone the camera wont book you for 3km/h over, but it will for 6. i learnt this from my speeding ticket. inside the letter it says that the speed you get booked for is 3km/h LESS than the speed your were clocked at. this is the allowance for an incorrect speedo i guess.

Will
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get done by fixed speed cameras in nsw, you really shouldnt be driving, there are like 3 signs before each one announcing that it is ahead.
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Yeah I think so, I've read it on an RTA or similar government agency web site before, and also numerous people have told me the same thing.

Put it this way, when I'm going past a fixed speed camera that's facing the direction I'm travelling, I sit 10km/h under the posted speed limit, I don't give a fuck what other people are doing or anything, I don't trust the fucking things and I don't give a rat's arse who gets the shits behind me, anyway ven when I'm travelling towards a fixed speed camera I still try to stay under the limit, but say maybe 5km/h, but I've been doing the speed limit or just over before when I've gone past a camera in the other direction and I've never received a fine.

Also, and god bless the fucked up NSW State Government for this lol, but I've also read somewhere, that there are certain privacy laws only in NSW that prevent the fixed speed cameras snapping an image of you from the front of your vehicle, BUT I'm pretty sure that the fixed speed cameras in school zones actually CAN get you from the front, I make sure as hell that I am doing way less than the speed limit when I go past those ones, in BOTH DIRECTIONS lol.

I've only been nabbed by a fixed speed camera once, and it was the one on Parramatta Road at Auburn, and me and a mate both swear I was only doing 65km/h in a 60km/h zone, but it still got me, and when I got the letter it said I was doing 70km/h, it was bullshit but I didn't bother fighting it as I knew I couldn't win haha.

Fixed speed cameras are waaay better than Highway Patrol officers standing in a hidden little spot on the side of the road that's for fucking sure. Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They can get you front on. 3 fixed cameras within 2km of where I live will get you front on, as it is a dual carriageway and can't possibly get the other side of the road. Depends on the camera setup though.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say that its true that they can only scan the traffic facing the same direction.

This is supported by the way the things are designed. If you look at some of the older cameras (i think they are getting better at hiding this on the new ones hehe, either that or they employ a new method) you will notice there are magnetic strips in the road at the distance the camera is calibrated for. These are similar to the strips at traffic lights used to sense traffic waiting on the red.

I assume that these are used to trigger the operation of the camera, as I have been driving behind people who have crossed, or had just crossed, those lines at speed right at the flashpoint.

Now I have yet to see the same strips on the other side of the road scanning oncoming traffic. Mind you, I am still weary of them, especially the ones setup on roads where there is only one lane either way Razz

In all honesty tho its not worth the risk of testing them, and considering your only lowering your speed for say 30 seconds until they are passed its not a huge inconvenience. If that brands me a chicken, atleast this chook aint gonna get fined Very Happy
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm told it's to do with privacy laws. They're not allowed to photograph your face - so they can only take a pic of your cars arse.
Apparently.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was travelling on Rocky Point Rd tonight, and the dude in front of me wasn't doing much more than me (probably around 65) and got snapped by a fixed camera. As soon as i saw the flash slammed the brakes on and down to 50, can't afford fines at the moment Razz

I heard they cant snap you from the front because the flash is blinding, but not 100% sure on that Very Happy
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camera cannot fine you front on if they flash. it is a deterrent and can cause crashes. you can only be flashed from behind. And don't get me started on NSW. we don't really have fixed in QLD and the sorta stuff i saw when i went down there one day. OMG. they even have huge scaffolding across the highly layered with cameras. i swear a saw a red light flash when i went under it but i got no fine. i heard somewhere there is a place that take your photo in two places. if the time between these photos is too low you get a fine because you must have sped. any care to verify this???? thats just what i heard
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Wed, 15 June 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it thought the reason for no pics from behind was because motorbikes dont have plates on the front. and i got done for 66 through one so you might be in for a fine. bastards.

chris
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are allowed up to 10% for speedo inaccuracy, so if you get done for 66 or less in a 60 zone you can usually contest it successfully. I always thought the camera was set to not take a pic unless you were more than 10% over, but I guess I was wrong.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read in a motorbike review once, as it was done in Vic, that the camera's in Vic were set to 2K's over the limit. That would be weak.

Also, to do with the 10% accuracy thing, can the authourities claim that we should 'know' the speed we're doing? Does Vic have those big speed caliberation signs on the roads? (The ones that say you are doing XXkph as you drive past) The govt could claim that with those signs around, you should know how much your speedo is out, and fine you for speeding within the 10%?

Tim.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm pretty sure they only take pictures behind you although, about a year back there was some that took pictures front on. Cos as you know motorbikes legally don't have to have plates on the front and they kept on riding past doing wheelies at over the speed limit or just giving the camera a finger and laughing.

Hehehe stupid but kinda funny. There was a story showing some of the pics in a weekend paper.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 22:54

Camera cannot fine you front on if they flash. it is a deterrent and can cause crashes. you can only be flashed from behind. And don't get me started on NSW. we don't really have fixed in QLD and the sorta stuff i saw when i went down there one day. OMG. they even have huge scaffolding across the highly layered with cameras. i swear a saw a red light flash when i went under it but i got no fine. i heard somewhere there is a place that take your photo in two places. if the time between these photos is too low you get a fine because you must have sped. any care to verify this???? thats just what i heard

.. which is silly because if someone on the other side of the road gets snapped, guess what !?!? the flash gos off in your face because you are driving in the opposite direction !

im gonna srite to the RTA on what the rules are on speed cameras
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What if your GF was giving you a BJ and the camera took a pic of the front of your car...I think it is a good idea that it only takes a pic of the back of the car.

I need some of those James Bond numberplates that just rotate at the touch of a switch Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think that is actually part of the reason they are taking photos from the rear as otherwise ppl's faces would be on the photos. In saying that though when we had our sigma station wagon it had 7 seats and the last two faced backwards. I used to wave and pull faces at ppl when i was little. Mind you we sold that car by the time i was 4 or 5
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 15:21

ndgcpr wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 22:54

.. which is silly because if someone on the other side of the road gets snapped, guess what !?!? the flash gos off in your face because you are driving in the opposite direction !

im gonna srite to the RTA on what the rules are on speed cameras

Yeah I was travelling at around 55km/h on Parramatta Rd Auburn city-bound near the megamart and I there was a sick cunt with a fart cannon next to me. I knew he would speed and get flashed, which he did but the flash still shocked me more than I thought it would have.

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to flash you from infront because it will temporarily hinder your vision. You could smash into something, blame the camera and sue. I've also never seen a camera that is facing towards me anyway(unless it's on the other side of the road which means it is snapping cars from behind).
Also, if you're driving towards the camera would it be difficult to catch the number plate? You have the light coming from the camera flash and you have the light from your car headlights making it awfully bright. It would be easier from behind.
Also, when driving towards a camera
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 15:45

Yeah I was travelling at around 55km/h on Parramatta Rd Auburn city-bound near the megamart and I there was a sick cunt with a fart cannon next to me. I knew he would speed and get flashed, which he did but the flash still shocked me more than I thought it would have.

Laughing i know that camera, pass it on my way to uni. I thought everyone knew it was there coz i think there are 4 signs before it, and everyone slows down to 50/55kmh just in case the camera is out Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 16 June 2005 05:51]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I was wrong. It's all about teh privacy Razz

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/images/elements/contentpics/SundayTelegraph_NewSpeedCameras_021208.jpg
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 15:50

thu187 wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 15:45

Laughing i know that camera, pass it on my way to uni. I thought everyone knew it was there coz i think there are 4 signs before it, and everyone slows down to 50/55kmh just in case the camera is out Razz

LOL some ppl are too icksay to worry about cameras! Laughing
Who knows, maybe he was being a good driver and never saw the signs because he was concentrating on the road ahead of him Rolling Eyes Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 15:39

What if your GF was giving you a BJ and the camera took a pic of the front of your car...I think it is a good idea that it only takes a pic of the back of the car.

then ur pic will be on google ..
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the impression that they could not take pics of the front of the car because the flash would cause too much of a distraction to drivers. i have gone past cameras at about 5k over and not been done for it.
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: fixed speed cameras Thu, 16 June 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that in Tasmania, as a general rule of thumb, speed cameras will only capture you if you are 10% above the posted speed limit. They will capture you both directions as I have seen the photos when my friends have been caught.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 mark to Rainey, 0 to the rest of us ....

My Question to the RTA yesterday...

Dear Sir or Madam,

Can you please clarify how speed cameras in NSW work. I have been told by different people that fixed speed cameras can only take a photo of your car when you are speeding when you go past it but not when you are driving towards it. How true is this claim.

If the RTA cannot provide an answer to this question, would you kindly provide me with the contact of someone that I can direct this enquiry to.

I am a careful driver in all instances follow all road rules but there is too much second guessing going on and i would like to know for sure how it is exactly fixed speed cameras work.

Kind Regards,

AND the reply from the RTA

Dear Sir/Madam,

The RTA uses bi-directional photography at a number of sites throughout
NSW. At these locations, vehicles may be photographed travelling
towards or away from the camera. Legally, photographs can be taken from
either in front or from behind the vehicle. NSW Police have been using
both frontal and rear photography in their mobile enforcement, for some
years.

By way of general information the fixed digital speed cameras detect the
speed of vehicles by using electronic sensors embedded in the road
surface. These sensors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over
them, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures
the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal
limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle. The RTA
does not use radar technology in the fixed digital speed cameras across
New South Wales.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Regards,
Enforcement Technology

answer all your questions ??

Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 17:28

I'm led to believe that a speed camera will only catch the traffic on the same side of the road as it is on, which means it always takes the photo from behind. this is unsubstantiated on all cameras, but I can garantee it for at least 3 in my area

eheheh I have, uh, tested my "not from the front" theory on all cameras except the one on Carlingford Rd where the school is, 'because it has suspicions stuff on the road AND when I was in court the defendant and judge before me had an arguement over which way he was travelling... Confused

helpful reply, though we know that lots of cameras don't do it both ways.. .and HOW PRAY TELL would they take a photo of the front of my car at night?

edit: made a mistake

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 01:56]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 11:43

By way of general information the fixed digital speed cameras detect the
speed of vehicles by using electronic sensors embedded in the road
surface. These sensors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over
them, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures
the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal
limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.

Accurately, indeed!

Hey so does this mean if we swerve around the electronic sensors then we won't get our picture taken?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, having re-read that section, i think u need to drift sideways through the strips ... so ae86 drivers (with 4ac, 4age, gze 20v etc) will never be caught by speed cameras because those cars are made for drifting and should always be drifted ..... yes i am taking the piss..
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 11:54

HOW PRAY TELL would they take a photo of the front of my car at night?

All of the camers in my area use infrared flashes. You can barely see them flash (looks like a dark purple/ultraviolet colour) that is barely visible, but shows up on film very easily. If you've ever taken a photo of a car, the numberplate always reflects back more than the rest of the car, so I'd say it would work rather well.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 04:57]

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That I know of only 2 or 3 cameras get you from front on. The trick is to look for is the 3 lines in the road. These are some kind of pressure sensitive crystals (or so I'm led to believe). When the car runs over them it sets off a signal, with 3 lines you get 3 signals compare this with a calibrated signal of the speed limit and you get done.

I have proved this with at least 10 or so cameras in NSW, you just slow down enuf and look for the lines in the road for your local camera. Most times you can even feel them thru the suspension. The only camera that I'm having big issues working out, where it is is the one in the habour tunnel. The RTA have done a good job of hiding the lines and making the lines smooth, I have only picked up the south bound camera once.

So yeah if you are traveling in the direction that the signs say there is a camera and you know it is that direction (they put signs up for both ways sometimes) You only have to be doing the speed limit for the crossing of the lines in the road, as for the other way look for those lines and in most cases don't worry about it.

For a fact I know that
James Ruse Drive is one way
Castle hill rd is one way

and I can point out to you where the cameras in both M5 tunnels are, the ED and Southern Cross drive.

I don't trust them either I slow down atleast 5-10kph when I go thru a trap

My 2c

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 11:39]

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Fri, 17 June 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read in rice fours(hot fours) once that they aparently on pic one lane at a time but can be manually change (and are) todifferent lanes and that they only pic up for 20m

my 2c
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Sat, 18 June 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

they aparently on pic one lane at a time but can be manually change (and are) todifferent lanes and that they only pic up for 20m

jesus oli wtf was that about?
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Sat, 18 June 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprinter-Saurus wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 18:39

Quote:

Put it this way, when I'm going past a fixed speed camera that's facing the direction I'm travelling, I sit 10km/h under the posted speed limit, I don't give a fuck what other people are doing or anything, I don't trust the fucking things and I don't give a rat's arse who gets the shits behind me, anyway ven when I'm travelling towards a fixed speed camera I still try to stay under the limit, but say maybe 5km/h, but I've been doing the speed limit or just over before when I've gone past a camera in the other direction and I've never received a fine.

and this alone si why i beleive they result in an increase in percentages of seriosu accidents if not death
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: fixed speed cameras Sun, 19 June 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 18:11

i read somewhere the the camera needs to be calibrated, depending on whether it is going to fuck over people travelling towards it, or away from it.

also, you have to be doing 3km/h over the acceptable limit. ie, in a 60 zone the camera wont book you for 3km/h over, but it will for 6. i learnt this from my speeding ticket. inside the letter it says that the speed you get booked for is 3km/h LESS than the speed your were clocked at. this is the allowance for an incorrect speedo i guess.

Will

I have a friend that got booked for speeding my a fixed camera and they sent him the photo. He was heading towards the speed camera, not away.....

If any of you guys are so confident then test it! Go past one at 200kph heading towards it.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fixed speed cameras Mon, 20 June 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which one was it mate ??
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: fixed speed cameras Mon, 20 June 2005 02:28 Go to previous message
cycleofabuse wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 17:02

bigg willie style wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 18:11

Will

I have a friend that got booked for speeding my a fixed camera and they sent him the photo. He was heading towards the speed camera, not away.....

If any of you guys are so confident then test it! Go past one at 200kph heading towards it.

well I have gone past the Castle Hill road one at half that speed Very Happy

hehe but that infa-red comment has me scared
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A plan to help get street racing off the road.
Next Topic:Day full of road rage
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:40:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010479927062988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.