Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Rat-sac and dogs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
icon5.gif  Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 08:00 Go to next message
I have a question regarding dogs and rat-sac. Someone may have had experience, or better still be an exterminator!

I have an old shed on my property that backs on to a neighboring block. Some big-ass rats have decided to call it home. These are big rats.

I have a couple of medium sized dogs that occasionally catch one, therefore I am hesitant to bait the little beasts because I don't want my dogs to get ill or die if they kill an infected rat.

Can anyone tell me if my dogs will be at risk if I set some rat-sac in the shed? It says on the packet to keep away from domestic pets, but I have also been told that my dogs wouldn't really be in danger.

Anyone help?
  Send a private message to this user    
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they certainly are! my grandmothers dog had a heart attack eating some bate a few months ago Sad
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, happened to my neighbours too, keep the dogs away from the rat poison, because it also happens to be dog poison. human poison too probably, just general poison.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't you lock the shed or something ?
that's what we did locked the shed all the time there was rat sack in there.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the rats are poisoned and the dogs eat them, the dogs will be poisoned, ergo the dogs will die as well.

it's he food chain in action - you are what you eat.

Get some cages with bait so the they get caught in the cages, eat the bait and die and the dogs can't get to either of them.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 19:50

if the rats are poisoned and the dogs eat them, the dogs will be poisoned, ergo the dogs will die as well.

not the case, ussually because the amount of poison injested by a rat is tiny in comparison to a "medium sized" dog. the dog may get ill but doubt it will die. still a good idea to get cages though.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, tho if the rat has undigested pellets in its gut/mouth when caught by the dog, the dog will get a direct dose. If the dogs chews up a few dead rats then nasty shit start to accumulate.

choice is simple - sick dogs or healthy dogs?

get some cages - even possum traps will help.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you can use the "bottle and a bucket trick".. secure a wine bottle off the end of a bench where the rats can get to. with the neck pointing out. put some food bait stuffed in the end of the neck. then put a bit bucket of water with a little dish washing detergent under the bottle.. put a little cloth or something secured to the bottle around the body so the rat and walk on the bottle without falling off.

it will walk out to try and get the bait then once it is on the narrowing glass neck it falls off into the bucket and drowns. just lock the shed so the dog cant get in there and empty the bucket of dead rats in the morning.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our Pup ate rat-sac once so we took both dogs oput the the vet who fed them SALT to make them spew, and they were all good.

sure enough the older dog had only dog food but the pup had heaps of green gunk - rat-sac.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 19:42

human poison too probably, just general poison.

Interesting to know that Warfarin, used in some rat poisons, are used to treat humans as a blood anti-coagulant. Razz
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:04

or you can use the "bottle and a bucket trick".. secure a wine bottle off the end of a bench where the rats can get to. with the neck pointing out. put some food bait stuffed in the end of the neck. then put a bit bucket of water with a little dish washing detergent under the bottle.. put a little cloth or something secured to the bottle around the body so the rat and walk on the bottle without falling off.

it will walk out to try and get the bait then once it is on the narrowing glass neck it falls off into the bucket and drowns. just lock the shed so the dog cant get in there and empty the bucket of dead rats in the morning.

BRILLIANT! Laughing
PICSORBAN! Very Happy
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your replies.

Regarding locking the shed: It's an old iron cladded shed with more holes than swiss cheese so locking it isn't the point. (infact its always locked).

My dogs don't actually eat the rats! They just gently crush them and throw them in the air like toys. After a while the rats are dead though. It's the thrill of the chase to them I think!

I have been told it would be unlikely that they would get sick if this is the case.

Anyone know how quick a rat will take to die after eating the stuff?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At my last job in a saw mill there was a rat there. At food breaks we'd put down bits of food to draw out the rat and then we'd shot a nail gun at the thing from a range of half a meter and the nails would just bounce off it but i think its favouret food was ratsac. We only ever found a dead cat once and yet the rat kept getting bigger. When i quit the rat was a little bigger then a fully grown cat.......
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what ever happened to good old mouse catchers?? get a rat size one but. At least you know where the rats have gone after they die. Plus... They prefure the food smell allot better.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Tue, 14 June 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 08:56

At my last job in a saw mill there was a rat there. At food breaks we'd put down bits of food to draw out the rat and then we'd shot a nail gun at the thing from a range of half a meter and the nails would just bounce off it but i think its favouret food was ratsac. We only ever found a dead cat once and yet the rat kept getting bigger. When i quit the rat was a little bigger then a fully grown cat.......

same at my dads work, there was this big fuckoff rat and every time i saw it it looked bigger.

That's pretty hilarious though, taking potshots at the rat with a nail gun Laughing
missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Wed, 15 June 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i used to live in the hills we had really big rats that lived in our shed, my dad put ratsac ontop of a cupboard in the shed so my dog couldnt get to it, and she used to kill some of the rats, and she never got sick from it, was only a little jack russell too but the rat may not have had poison in it.
but a couple years later when we moved closer to the city we had our house sprayed for insects, and our dog died from that.

animals and any sort of poisons dont mix

if they dont really bother you much just get rid of the the old fashioned way, rat traps, or try that weird bottle thing someone sugested. its not really worth losing your dogs over a rat
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Mon, 20 June 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old bitch ate a packet of Ratsac in between having her second litter of pups. She got a bit crook but managed to pop em all out and survived (she was a bit thirsty lol). I dunno about other dogs chances though, She has the constitution of a crocodile. The only dog I've seen chew a hole in colorbond sheet fencing lol.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Mon, 20 June 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ Good god !

My mates used to have a rat that would eat his rubbish left outside.

So one night during a heavy drinking session we heard him, So we grabbed cricket bats and golf clubs and chased him miles thru the bush untill we were lost !
We had to get ppl to turn on their car headlights and rev the motors so we could hear them and find out way back.

The rat never came back after that !

So you don't need to kill him just scare him
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Mon, 20 June 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a rat that i kept putting a trap out (traditional trap) i put a host of food baits out, i also had a block of poison out. every night it would eat a block of poison and not touch the bait. i ended up getting it by zip locking the block of poison to the trap.. that got him Razz
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Rat-sac and dogs? Mon, 20 June 2005 10:10 Go to previous message
thu187 wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 01:39

toof wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 22:04

BRILLIANT! Laughing
PICSORBAN! Very Happy

sorry mate i havent got a photo but it works something like this.

rat walks on cloth (light blue) towards bait (red) then slips on the neck of the bottle (green) and falls in bucket of water.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/rattrap.png

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 10:12]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what does BUMP mean?
Next Topic:Fast and Furious 3
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:31:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085809230804443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.