Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » I've got some 3t engine questons...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
I've got some 3t engine questons... Fri, 17 June 2005 07:53 Go to next message
hey,
i just wondered if anyone had any info on the 3t 1800cc engine and it's variants? what makes em go hard, etc...thanks guys(and gals)

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 12:01]

Send a private message to this user    
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t engine Fri, 17 June 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.toyota3tc.com

they are that good they have their own forums Rolling Eyes
roids70
Regular

April 2005
Re: 3t engine Fri, 17 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They go Feckin hard as, i have mine redlinin in most gears and its still going as good as gold! Evil or Very Mad
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3t engine Sat, 18 June 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearbOx, I dont get U mate, you got a T series rolla on your avatar and you have input into nearly every T series topic yet you always take the piss out of em...

3TC are amongst the strongest motors ever made. Uninspiring in stock form put freaky once modified.
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Sat, 18 June 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help guys.
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Sat, 18 June 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Extractors, Big carbies.

electronic ignition.

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Sat, 18 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Extractors, Big carbies.

electronic ignition.

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t engine Sat, 18 June 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 14:29

gearbOx, I dont get U mate, you got a T series rolla on your avatar and you have input into nearly every T series topic yet you always take the piss out of em...

3TC are amongst the strongest motors ever made. Uninspiring in stock form put freaky once modified.

you cannot deny they are tough motors, mainly cause they are cast iron tanks Wink - take any cast iron motor and shove a healthy diet of boost + nos in it + bucket loads of money spent on the bottom end and you will get good results

i just thought the forums are funny Smile the person who originally started the forums owned a 3tc for a few weeks and it blew up his first track day Razz

You cant deny the reliability you cant go past em, as for the 3tcforums ex owner the problem was due to lack of baffling/windage tray in the sump

There are better motors out there, but if u throw money at ANY motor it will be a freak Wink
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Sat, 18 June 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think anyone can argue with the T series engines racing pedigree, 7 second quarters from a 4 cylinder are not to be sneezed at.

Calum
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Mon, 20 June 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

There are better motors out there, but if u throw money at ANY motor it will be a freak

This is true on both counts, however it's unlikely that you will get as strong a motor for next to no $ from any other manufacturer. I think the average price for a 3TC is about $50... Phoenix is on the money as far as cheap mods go with these. Apart from extractors, Webers or Solex twin carbies a cam is a good idea. Piss easy to install with the pushrod head. Or you can bolt the turbo intake from a 3TGTE onto the 3TC using the 3TEU EFI (probably adapt the 2TGTEU EFI as well) run 10 psi and surprise everyone. I did this recently, only internal mod being ARP conrod bolts. Total cost?

1 T18 with 3TEU EFI and wolf 2D ECU = 900
1 3TGTEU turbo manifold and CT20 turbo with plumbing = 350
ARP conrod bolts = 60

Hardly big bux

This thing does indeed go hard and while it does not beat my mates 14 sec street driven 200SX it comes pretty damn close. The car was sold today to a mate with the turbo removed so his missus can go to the shops in it lol.

Oh yeah ANY motor will also blow up too... Having a more modern motor or spending big bucks building one is no garuntee against busting your motor.

Shelldrake all the info you will need on these motors has already been covered in these forums mate. In truth though, twincam variants of this motor are better for the average punter (3TGTE, 3TG hybrid, 2TG, 2TGEU). The pushrod 3TC motor is still heaps of fun with the above mods and is relatively cheap and easy to get hold of.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Mon, 20 June 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 11:00

This is true on both counts, however it's unlikely that you will get as strong a motor for next to no $ from any other manufacturer. I think the average price for a 3TC is about $50..

This is the main reason why i play with them Smile i bought a whole T-18 with a healty 3TC for 50$ Smile
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Mon, 20 June 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

This is the main reason why i play with them i bought a whole T-18 with a healty 3TC for 50$

LOL Best $50 you ever spent bro! I'm with you, cant beat the 3TC/T18 combo for cheap thrills. These are actually becoming more sought after, the last one I bought had about 4 different young guys racing me to buy it. The guy who sold it said that was heaps more interest in it too after it was sold.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 01:41]

ToyT18
Regular

July 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Mon, 20 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked its cos they are a good car i dont know why ive seen them on websites under lemon cars in the catagory with the P76 Confused whats that all about mine has been reliable as hell the 3t engine is just about bulletproof and every thing else is pretty cheap and easy to change on them except body parts are getting expensive now, but its good to see they are getting a following, at my old job this chicks boyfriend wanted me to sell my T-18 stock with thos 13inch spittys and i only just got it and i said yeah ok 3,000 when i just paid $1,500 for it off some woman and he said ill start saving but he was kinda poor and havent heard from him since but i dont rekon ill sell it for along time to come as they are becoming rare now in good condition.
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Wed, 22 June 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is my opinion on what to do with a 3T.

Depending on money, age and driving experience, I would stick to a NA motor. All these mods will not require a change of diff or gearbox.

All this work would need to be done from a fresh start, over a period of time. That is a motor that has not just come out of your car. This is so that all the normal checks and measurements can be done as the build goes along and that any worn or substandard parts can be replaced, such as valve springs, push rods or rocker arms.

This is really the only way to do it because it is so easy to overlook something and end up with no car to drive.

Start with the head. Normal head restoration with port and polish. Install inner valve springs. If you want, do this with 2mm bigger inlet and exhaust valves (won't need bigger valve seats).

A Camshaft that would be called a 3/4 race cam. Would need to look at a list of options but something that produces good power and torque between 3000 and 6500rpm.

Match port a dual sidedraught manifold and run early 40mm Solexes and if you can find a set of 44's then better.

4 into 1 extractors into a 2 1/4" exhaust.

Bore the block 4mm oversize (I think makes 1960cc) and get 4mm oversize pistons at 10:1 compression.

Shot peen/harden standard rods and crank.

Lighten the OEM Flywheel.

Use a modified standard Clutch. Mine was modified with a Ford 6 cylinder diaphram. This gives more clamping pressure and is relatively easy.

This motor will make good torque and as such will be very driveable and easily rev to 7000rpm and make power all the way there.

The biggest problem I have had with the T series motor has been stripping distributor drive/cam gears.

The cam and distributor do not have a good mesh in OEM form and as a result float enough to go out of meash when run consistantly above 7000 as done when racing.

The only real solution to this is to dry sump the motor and run a crank trigger ignition to avoid the distributor altogether.

Hence a recommended 7000rpm limit.

Something to think about.

Regards

Rodger
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Wed, 22 June 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Above was a good write up. Good work!

We are going that path, have the dual 40mm's and the 4 to 1's. 2 1/4 inch exhaust wil be soon.

What type of power would you expect from everything you have described? Better than a near stock 2tg?
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Wed, 22 June 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well as a bench mark. My 2T that is in my Green TA-22 got 74.5rwkW just on Sunday and that was 1mm O/S and mild cam with most other mods listed including 44's.

I reckon 80-85rwkW, conservative, but it will be oh so drivable because of the stroke of the 3T and extra cc's.

A stock standard later 2T-G is hopeless and simply has no torque.

Regards

Rodger
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Wed, 22 June 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not saying there is anything wrong with the 3t, because I had one in a 74 celica, but I found it go load - sound as though it is moving, but not get anywhere. I believe the carby was to blame....so i think that is a good upgrade...watch for fuel consumption if on a budget. I can agree, it took everything i threw at it.....literally, rock solid and a good note. Mine had 4-1 extractors, 2in exhaust and modified stock carby.... a little clip that you put on it such that when you hit 3000rpm the second throat opens up...again sucks fuel when constantly changing at 4-4/5k.

However, that tale is over thanks to a Brisbane City Council bus..... now have the 4AGE 73 celica - can really feel the difference...until the head gasket blew this morning....made my day....

My recommendations, if you have a bit of money or knowhow, try a 2t/3t hybrid (twin cam top) on 3t block and EFI it...11:1 compression i have been told and good for 90+kw with good cams.

Just a suggestion...or go all out......

crok.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: I've got some 3t engine questons... Wed, 22 June 2005 08:57 Go to previous message
Fuel consumption is the least of our worries anyway. The car gets driven about 50km, one sunday a month Wink Never going to see the road so its all good.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pulley for 4agze
Next Topic:Sprinter strut conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:25:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006511926651001 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.