Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 18 June 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 13:20

Doods,

Bit of a question for the SC owners with standard ECU and a decent boost gauge.

check
Quote:

From my understanding the SC is initiated on vacume pressure.

My questions are:

1) if you boot the throttle and initiate the SC what vacuum do you see before the SC kicks in ?

on mine it will inititate the charger pretty much as i hit the throttle. by the time i have my foot to the floor i have positive manifold pressure.

Quote:

2)Is there a minimum RPM that even if you boot the throttle the SC wont kick in until a certain RPM is reached. Now i am not reccomending you do this but....say you were just idling along in say first or second gear doing say 1000-1500 RPM and hit it, would the SC kick straight in ? or would it wait till say 1800 RPM or something like that ?

No if im crusing at next to no revs and stomp it. about 6psi pretty much instantly

Quote:

3) has anyone driven along and progressivly got faster and faster i am talking like on a flat highway and slowly kept increasing the throtle position and increased speed ? If so what speed did the SC kick in ?

couldnt really say ive tested it.

Quote:

4) Has anyone bypassed the ECU and set up the SC with an ON / OFF switch, again not reccomending this just seeing if anyone may have tried it.

In my car in 5th gear will do about 115km/hr with a throttle position of only 35 % from memory then the SC kick in and speed even with 35 % throttle goes up to about 140 km/hr.

The reason i ask these Qs is i am trying a few different things with the Motec and would appreciate the feedback. It will help me set a few things up. Currently the SC is initiated at 35 % throttle position and a minimum of 1500 RPM

Let us know what you think

Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sat, 18 June 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i shouldnt post things when ive been drinking

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2005 03:46]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 19 June 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the run is no sat/sun 23 and 24th June with the MR2 owners club.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 19 June 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrrm might make an appearance the car is looking half decent atm. Just installed some bonnet pins on the engine lid today looks quite nice needs a few adjustments tho
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 19 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 20:56

the run is no sat/sun 23 and 24th June with the MR2 owners club.

23/24 july. Smile
dr trim
Regular

March 2005
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 19 June 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i got my rear tyres (stuffed) put onto the front and replaced with some Toyo TPG's 195/50/15's and the front tyres put to the back.

I haven't really had the chance to give it much, but the corners i have taken quick they seem very good. When i went to the tyre place i asked for Grid 3's coz i already had Grid 2's on my car. They said they would rather me put Toyo tpg's on, both tyrepower and bridgestone said the same thing.

good tyres so far. anyone else have them?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Sun, 19 June 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys how does this look.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/bird_01.gif

this is for the decals. colour and cut style havent been decided. but i was thyinking of just a white with black priting. so everything that is yellow atm would be white and the white bits in the middle of the yellow owuld be black ?
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver foil, with or without anything in the empty spaces Smile
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 09:51

hey guys how does this look.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/bird_01.gif

this is for the decals. colour and cut style havent been decided. but i was thyinking of just a white with black priting. so everything that is yellow atm would be white and the white bits in the middle of the yellow owuld be black ?

Looks really good, but if you could get the colours of the silver white and black as per the emblem would be fansastic.

Cool Cool Cool
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill have a tinker tongit Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toof mate, sticker looks hot... would be nice if you could just have the yellow bits cutout, but that would probably be a big cost right?

well I went for a really detailed look at a AW11 today, I think I am gonna buy it. needs a little love but apart from that, for the price I am happy with it, plus its the one I originally wanted, colour, roof, engine Very Happy

going around a corner in it today though, man they understeer so much more than my NA did, maybe the fact of no rear swaybar.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 21:05

hrrm might make an appearance the car is looking half decent atm. Just installed some bonnet pins on the engine lid today looks quite nice needs a few adjustments tho

Hey, didnt know you are a member....

Oh, and the stickers cant be yellow. Will clash with my car's colour! Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 05:04]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:05

going around a corner in it today though, man they understeer so much more than my NA did, maybe the fact of no rear swaybar.

I think I've got stock rear bar and some struts to suit kicking around my shed if you are interested.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey thanks Ben but i should be fine, My NA (now wreck and spare parts) has some nice k-mac items front and rear, and and struts. I think these will be swapping over
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:05

Toof mate, sticker looks hot... would be nice if you could just have the yellow bits cutout, but that would probably be a big cost right?

well I went for a really detailed look at a AW11 today, I think I am gonna buy it. needs a little love but apart from that, for the price I am happy with it, plus its the one I originally wanted, colour, roof, engine Very Happy

Sounds like my old 86sc is going to get the loving home it deserves Very Happy
Great news. Wink
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn straight superaw11 Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 15:03

Hey, didnt know you are a member....

im not but ive been on a couple of runs allready sp they all pretty much know me..

I want to join tho but the car hasnt been presentable for a while so ive been holding off...

I should probably become a toymods member too i have been using the forums enough for them to make me an honoury member i thinks Laughing Laughing Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys.. opinions..

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/bird_02.png
http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/bird_03.png
http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/bird_04.png

im liking the black and grey.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
black and grey on red/marone background its a winner Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i wasnt thinking of having a background on it at all. just have it cut out.. so bacsially all the white parts would be cut out.. so it would just be the black border and the grey centre.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i figured that just would look the goods.

I like the black and grey design anyhow
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof I am thinking black and white just because of generic, it would suit any colour mr2, but I spose the grey is also pretty generic, yeah another for grey/black Very Happy het who cares it will suit my new Blue mr2 Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Aw11 Decal[ 7 vote(s) ]
1.Black/Red 0 / 0%
2.Black/White 0 / 0%
3.Black/Grey 7 / 100%

vote em up Smile

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The black and grey looks tops! What size are these stickers that you are making up and where are you planning on sticking them?

Wiso: nice work locating a new 2, hope all ends well!

My progress, things are looking good for a change. Almost everything is bolted up and I just really have the wiring task as the last unknown.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1864.JPG&size=150 http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1866.JPG&size=150

Following wiring is
Connecting a few vacuum lines etc.
Filling coolant and oil
Fitting BOV and spangly new intake temp sensor & gauge
Starting it (everyone keep your fingers crossed)
Getting the exhaust made up
Pulling the exhaust side off again (pr!ck of a job) to get the manifold, exhaust housing, dump and inlet pipes all ceramic coated.
Modifying shifter
Fixing windows
Re-installing interior bits
Putting the exhaust side back together again (even more of a pr!ck)
Getting RTA emissions test
Getting engineer's certificate
Toymods Dyno Day (I'm always optimistic Smile)
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good dave!!!!

hows the space under the hood the exhaust is hard to get at im guessing

I notice that the i/c piping running from the i/c to the throttle body dosent appear to be mandrel bent... Is there a reason for this maybee that you were trying to reduce the diameter of the pipe??

if so why not run that smaller daimeter from the i/c the whole way???

BTW your fly is undone Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 14:36]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 00:34

BTW your fly is undone Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing

HAHAHA what a classic, I didn't even notice I was in that shot - let alone revealing a bit more than expected Laughing Laughing Laughing. I just really love my 2 Wink

The original plan was to get mandrel bent exhaust pipe. But after arranging to get it done for cheap through the panel shops usual exhaust place I turned up to find they didn't have a mandrel machine Embarassed and I felt too slack saying no to them as they were doing me a favour.
Anyways, I figure that the turbo is compressing the air anyways so it should make two shakes of f*ckall difference how it is bent. I'll get it ceramic coated though to keep the air temps pure.
I'll be going somewhere else for the exhaust though as I want it mandrel.

Sorry, forgot one: the space is fine under the hood. I have at least an inch Smiley =.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 14:53]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well i wasnt expecting to see that much until i enlarged the picture i guess it is late night stuff Laughing Laughing Laughing

your pretty handy with the welder or your dad is. its not hard to get your hands on a mandrel bend like 90deg bend and then just cut off the press bend and weld the 90deg madrel bend on. Youve spent a heap of time on it so it wouldnt cost alot to do and would tie it all off nicely.

I would imagine that it will upset the flow a bit which might make it a bit laggier i guess but thats just my 2 cents.

Once again looking good cant wait to be taken for a spin Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say only a micoscopic bit laggier and the actuator will be keeping the pressure at the correct PSI so that it should all be good. I might be compressing the air a tiny bit more which may make for an extra degree more intake temp, but I really think it will be minimal.

I'd be more worried about what I had to do on the track down to theintercooler anyways Smiley =

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1861.JPG&size=150

If you can't make it out, it goes
. |
/
|
\___

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 15:06]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your probably right....
i guess if the car feels a bit laggy later on you can allways change it....

I had an interesting chat with scott about intercooler location/cooling/ducting it might be worth having a word with him about it in the future he has some good ideas.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 20 June 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've spoken to scott about the intercooler location before but I'd be keen to hear of any new ideas.
I know his is 'free airing' down in the same spot I've put mine, but I prefer the shroud/scoop to force a bit more air through. Future plans involve strapping a decent fan to the back of it too.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant see how a slightly smaller diameter in the pipe will make it laggy???
what happens when you put your finger a little over the end of the water hose? the water comes out with more speed/velovity or what ever you want to call it.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 09:26

I've spoken to scott about the intercooler location before but I'd be keen to hear of any new ideas.
I know his is 'free airing' down in the same spot I've put mine, but I prefer the shroud/scoop to force a bit more air through. Future plans involve strapping a decent fan to the back of it too.

Dave this looks really good, i was planning a similar scoop just to see how it goes so you have saved me some work.

As Martin said i have a few other ideas as has Martin after speaking to another engineer. A friend of mine used to build and race different formula cars and has lent me some good books on race car preparation and covers all facets including suspension, brakes, engines, intercoolers, radiators etc etc etc and is a really good read.

Anyway we need to get together and do some air flow testing. I can provide all the equipment we just need to get together and do it. I am sure we can do some very interesting testing Mythbusters style and get some good improvements
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toof,

Love your work i have also voted for the grey black. I just had another close look at the emblem on my car and was looking at the eye...it sort of looks aggressive but the cut out slightly misses that detail but i cant put my finger on why ? Have a close look and see if you can see what i mean ?

I dont want to seem fussy i really think it looks good as is but the more i look at it the more i see. To be honest i have owned the first car for over 15 years but never really looked at the emblem...there is quite a bit of detail.

Wiso,

Glad to hear you have another AW11 lined up can you post some pics and details very interested to see your next project.

BTW Dave that pic with the fly down is a classic, i think you may be spending a bit too much time at the workshop and not enough time with your girl friend Laughing Laughing Laughing
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dudes I am happy to report that I have a new AW11 sitting in my driveway Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

its superaw11's old blue one, factory SC, targa-tops, I love it, it soo smooth to drive, just needs my old suspension off the na and a little rust fix, and maybe one oil leak fix, and she'll be beautiful Very Happy

No matter what Fatmr2 said I really can't go past the AW11 I just love it too much, soo much fun to drive, plus it turns heads.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm definately up for some testing once it's on the road.

Here's a pic of the badge for reference
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1459.JPG&size=150
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso: PICSORBAN!

Very Happy

Congrats by the way!

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 03:22]

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 13:16

Dudes I am happy to report that I have a new AW11 sitting in my driveway Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

its superaw11's old blue one, factory SC, targa-tops, I love it, it soo smooth to drive, just needs my old suspension off the na and a little rust fix, and maybe one oil leak fix, and she'll be beautiful Very Happy

No matter what Fatmr2 said I really can't go past the AW11 I just love it too much, soo much fun to drive, plus it turns heads.

Sweeeeeeet !

Glad to hear it post the pics ASAP Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
picsorban.. oh no

Name: wiso

AW11: 1986 Blue SC Import Targa Tops

Mods: Rays engineering wheels, TRD Quick shifter, Holley Boost guage, dunno anything else superaw11?

http://img242.echo.cx/img242/3572/aw1110858ot.jpg

http://img242.echo.cx/img242/6416/aw1110849ca.jpg
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very very nice Cool
Love the colour and it looks in tops condition. How bad is the cancer?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 11:51

what happens when you put your finger a little over the end of the water hose? the water comes out with more speed/velovity or what ever you want to call it.

i said might.....

due to the reduction in size causing turbulance that interrupts flow

as for what happens when you put your finger over the end of a water hose less water??? comes out at a higher speed/velocity so would you say that it is flowing more or the velocity is faster???

edit: might

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 05:06]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude looks fantastic! Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 13:20

I'm definately up for some testing once it's on the road.

im also keen to do some late night testing Very Happy
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 13:45

picsorban.. oh no

Mods: Rays engineering wheels, TRD Quick shifter, Holley Boost guage, dunno anything else superaw11?

Yep that's my old baby Smile

The rust spot is bugger all problem,just a bubble near the rear air vent on the pillar,no biggie.
I had so much fun with this car doing the run to work and back,I earnt myself quite a reputation with the locals as i flashed passed them in that blue beasty.Few of them had a clue what it was but they did talk about how that thing came from nowhere in the rear vision mirror and then flew passed and quickly outta sight in the twisties. Very Happy

The car is fairly stock mechanically I think,Besides what is mentioned above I had the suspension done with kings low springs and new shocks although the last owner seems to have had trouble with a shock seizing,it also has a HKS exhaust and a mate of mine reckons it may have had HKS cams as it idles a tad lumpier than my stock white/silver car but i dunno.
When i bought the car it had the ABV mod done (which i undid) but I am pretty sure that the pulley is stock ? but it really does go well so it could be a HKS pulley ? Confused you might wanna check it out Wiso.
Overall it felt stronger than my current car engine wise.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 05:00]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought that exhaust looked familiar. If its got the hks exhaust it should make about 10psi ballpark i think thats what the hks pulleys were.

you may need the abv mod to make 10 psi as i thinks it bleeds after 9 psi

GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good Wiso.....enjoy !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BTW measre the OD of the crankshaft pulley diameter, its a bit of a nightmare, i have a HKS puuley ,belt and idler in a box somewhere, from memory its 165mm, i will try to measure it tonight its good for 10-11 PSI, let me know.

Also how does the power compare to the short stint you had with the previous SC
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 15:10

thought that exhaust looked familiar. If its got the hks exhaust it should make about 10psi ballpark i think thats what the hks pulleys were.

you may need the abv mod to make 10 psi as i thinks it bleeds after 9 psi

cmon Martin you had a long day mate ????

Since when do exhausts increase boost pressure ? Laughing Laughing

or did i miss something as usual ? Laughing Laughing but yep need ABV mod to get more than standard booooooooooooooooooooooooost.

BTW just found a nice supercharger i can get 30 PSI with mmmmmmmmboooooooooooooooooooooooost !!!

Also just got some tech data on Hondas (early 80s)1.5 litre v6 twin turbo motors they were getting like 800kw using 4 bar(70 PSI) from there turbo set up. The configuration is a basic twin turbo NOT a compound set up. I have some good pics if you are interested
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allways interested in seeing the photos Very Happy

looks like we might have to put a day aside to go through all the information and ideas we have collected Laughing Laughing

yeah your absolutly right the hks exhaust wont give you 10 psi but a hks pulley will

Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing .

your dead right was a long day today had to get up at 5:30 which is verrrry early for me plus couldnt sleep last night till 1:30 so im very tired....

edit: 30 psi from a supercharger which kind???

centrifugal or positive displacement if its a pd blower it gonna make roundabouts alot of fun in the wet Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 08:21]

mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 13:45

picsorban.. oh no

good stuff man,
i thought i saw this thing for sale few months ago and someone had already bought it
looks immaculate, im so jealous again
good thing is now u have a whole car of parts if need
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats Up!!

Nice car wiso I though about buying it over a year ago but I was keen to learn the import procedure myself..

HKS exhaust giving 10PSI extra. I wish!!! Im running one with my Nevo 175mm. I see 11-12 PSI on a cold night.

I saw 13PSI the other night but it was after driving for 20 min think it might of been heat soak. Which i still dont fully understand Confused

I might go and check out australia mr2 owners club and check out the details for this Hunter Valley cruise. Sounds fun!
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get in quick, i think i read that there are a limited number of places.

Hey Martin, how are your new bushes going?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah thanks for reminding me miss m

car handles very well. Extremely responsive. You can chuck it with immediate "Grin Factor" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I do however have a little understeer, with semi-bald 195's on the front and fresh 205's on the rear. But its still a big W00t from me
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott yeah from what little I felt of the charged NA this one actually feels a lot stronger, it kinda is a harder hit than the my red one was, the red one kinda built up to boost, this one just jumps straight onto boost. dunno, that could have been just the busted knock sensor though causing it.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 14:04

due to the reduction in size causing turbulance that interrupts flow

that doesnt make sense to me... Razz

Quote:

as for what happens when you put your finger over the end of a water hose less water??? comes out at a higher speed/velocity so would you say that it is flowing more or the velocity is faster???

i am saying the water hose flows the same amount of water at a higher speed. you get more water pressure to wash the mud etc off your car when you put your finger (or thumb if you like it that way Shocked) over part of the hose end.
i'm no air/fluid expert, but when i was useing vent bag in the underground mines, if i put a clip in the middle of the opening the air would come out much faster/stronger.
so to me a slightly smaller section in the i/c pipe (even though a type of bottle neck restriction) would make the charge air enter the inlet manifold at a higher speed, which in turn would assist in boost responce..? Confused

thats my milo induced feeling of it.. Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either way dave dave is probably right and it wont make a huge differnce

would having the reduced diameter pipe cause a restriction that would make the turbo work harder maybee even tho the air is comming out faster on the other side???

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 13:40]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not sure i am out of milo..... Crying or Very Sad

miss mr2 could probably offer us some insight into air flow characteristics of this type though maybe.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chin up you can get some more milo today Very Happy
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet,

When do you guys want to get together ?

Probably around Daves workshop would be good, sort of central and some place to set up the cars and access to suitable roads.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good im busy this weekend but maybee next weekend im up for it

edit: gunmetal did you ever get your tyres scrubbing when you went over big bumps???

mine scrubs on the right side when i hit a big bump

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 22:15]

Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 06:46

i'm not sure i am out of milo..... Crying or Very Sad

miss mr2 could probably offer us some insight into air flow characteristics of this type though maybe.

i have been trying to keep up with this, but i am in the middle of three exams in three days and i didnt pay attention in flow dynamics Embarassed . Anyway, if i recover and arent too busy painting, i will try to offer some useless insight into it.

Now, im off to get some milo.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 21 June 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 11:51

Ok well i can answer this one as fluid dynamics is my field of expertise !

Do you want to long, short or medium story ???

OK short first, i think i will make very little difference.

Medium, basically what will happen is that it will cause a slight restriction in the system but lets put it in perspective. As the air travels from the discharge of the turbo to the cylinder head there are all sorts of restrictions/losses. The first is the friction of the air an all surfaces of the pipe/duct the air travels along (usually minimal as th surfaces are quite smooth). The second is from what is called velocity pressure and this results from any change in direction of the air flow path at a specific velocity. So any bends, offsets expansions contractions, filters, intercoolers and the like all cause losses in the system, furthermore the pressure drop increases to the square of the velocity (speed).

So what will happen at the offending bend will be a slight inrease in speed due to the reduction in cross sectional area, therefore the pressure drop will be slightly higher, as it is a fairly long (not a tight radius bend) the difference will be minimal, propably be insignificant in terms of the whole intake sytem, i would guess less than a couple of percent. But if you are chasing every possible kW then go ahead and mandrel bend but how about the rest of the system, there are plenty of other ways of making the system more efficient and making more power.

basically what you need is the greatest "gauge" pressure not "velocity" pressure. The best way to describe the velocity pressure is Feral hosing down his filthy Feroza with his finger on the end of the hose, this is a localised flow restriction that increases the fluid velocity, this imparts effectivly a greater impact of the water on the surface and remove the crud more easily than letting it just fall onto the surface. But what you have to understand is that if the pressure provided is great enough it will have negligable effect on the total volumetric flow and that is what we are after.

I have some really good text books on the subject if anyone is interested, i have tried to keep it as simple as possible but its difficult without some hands on testing.

hope this helps
Pages (84): [ «  <  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:06:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01612401008606 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.