Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 10:31 Go to next message
ok guys - looking for advice again

My dad has a wank cannon on his ma61 which creates shitloads of drone ..

before anyone asks he wanted it for fathers day - and after much " dad you dont want to do it " and him not listening we gave up and got it ..

Now he complains its too loud ( theres a breakthru! )and that it hurts his ears + wants a solution without having to re do all the exhaust again

What i need to so is put a baffle of some sort in the tip like you see in other ricer cannons to hopefully quieten it down ..

Anyone know where to get these " off the shelf " for a 4 inch tip - or have any sufggestions on how one shuld be made ( ie does the reduced hole need to be tapered in any way etc etc )

PS weve already tried a resonator into the system - it helped a little but not a ideal 100% solution

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 10:34]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to turf the cannon and get a proper muffler - one that does not have a straight-thru pipe with perforations openeing up the interior.

what you have (in effect) is two hotdog mufflers - one moderately priced one under the car, and an overprices ugly one at the back.

i got a smallish (suited to small v8) baffled muffler at the back of my ma61 to repalce a lukey turbo muffler - no more drone, lower tone to the zorst and now i can hear all the sounds of the diff/bearings/brakes etc but still has nice tone when you get up it.

turn the cannon into a garden ornament.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what id do if given the chance mate - trust me ..

buutt he wants the " look " and doesnt want to change anymore than what he has ..

Id sell it if i had the chance to - but trying to get a buyer might be difficult
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back the car into some garden edging (that has sharpe edges) and ruin the cannon?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laffs - tried to scrape it to bits - the bastard still holds Wink
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, wants to keep the cannon look but does not like the sound and drone.....

Three options then, install another additional resonator in the system to lower the noise again before it gets to the cannon....

Take the cannon off, cut it down the guts and open up its middle, and have baffles welded inside it, and weld it back up, fiddly and messy and the expense does not justify the effort, or

Take a hammer to other sections of the exhaust pipe and reduce its diameter in various places...... Razz

Is it too hard to say "Sorry but I got this wrong and you were right" ....turf the cannon for a reverse flow muffler and get rid of the drone forever....????

Honestly - good luck with it mate, its tough when family are involved....
Sad
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Insert a plate just before the muffler to restrict the flow.

ie, get a plate and instead of a 2.5" hole in the middle (3"? 2.25"?), leave it solid and drill a few dozen holes in it, OR put a smaller hole in it that the rest of the exhaust.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Mon, 20 June 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What ARE you people on? Just stick a turbo on the damned thing - that way, you break down the noise, AND increase the power. And your old man can keep his milo tin...

Option 2: put yourself up for adoption

Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people EVERYONE FORGOT ONE THING

silencers(little round things with an attachment that fits into the canons) they can be bought from exhaust shops or custom made
they will quieten the canons down a fair bit

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going with the adoption option ! ..

Actually ill do what ive done for the rest of the stuff on the ma61 - when i have the money myself ill just replace the bloody thing and say its a " gift " to shut him up

As for turbo option we went thru that too - it should have got a 7mgte or at least a 7mge when the HG on the 5me went - but instead he chose to keep the numbers matching and rebuild the 5me ....

my dad is hard to get along with when it comes to the supra ..
OldSchoolRolla
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its an easy fix go to the exhaust shop where u got it done n tell em its to loud n they will make u a baffle pipe........my sisters honda civic was to loud,so i went bak n they had no probs doing it. they spot weld a 15cm piece of pipe in the muffler of the cannon with a semi sealed end which kills the sound do a bearable rate.....
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha my dad is so stubbon when it comes to things like that.
i tryed to tell him it's not worth putting a 5me in a Sa63 but he is determined to do it cuz 2sc's suck and 5me are pretty much pretty much free.

Silly old man !
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ditch 5M.
Replace with 1JZ.
Problem solved.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
already working on it - got to get some specs on a lukey setup - and see if i can purchase it for the father ..

GT - i tried !
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about adding a Catalytic Converter to the car? Would that quiet it down a bit?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Exhaust tip baffle help Tue, 21 June 2005 09:12 Go to previous message
ZZT231 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 17:01

What about adding a Catalytic Converter to the car? Would that quiet it down a bit?

It *may* work.
But it will be a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot more effective if you put a resonator in there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:over drive light flashing MX/83
Next Topic:JZA80 W58 vs MA61/RA6X/MA70 W58
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:05:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051419734954834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.