Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » anyone here use REALbasic?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
anyone here use REALbasic? Tue, 14 June 2005 07:16 Go to next message
yeah, i need help with writing to and reading from an external file.

you see, im making a game for my y12 software major project, and im going to let the user save games and profiles (so they can only play their own games), and it's been suggested to me that i use an external file to store these things.

oh, and im also going to store questions somewhere, and that's been suggested as using an external file too, rather than a database, cos last time our class tried to use a database, it kept getting corrupted cos we didnt close it properly, and i dont want that to happen.

so yeah, anyone? Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Wed, 15 June 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
write it in Java. Much easier to write to and from files.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Wed, 15 June 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too late to change programming languages

anyone else?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's year 12 man, forget about the project and go chase some ass.

I can't remember basic, it's not much of a language. Maybe RTFM might help? Just look up stuff like 'open' and 'close' etc or 'read' and 'write' blah blah blah. Generally you have to 'open' a file (choose whether to read or write or both, whether you want to write/read sequentially, or over-write) and the do all your reading and writing, and then 'close' the file.

And use Java, C/C++/C# next time Razz
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Google these exact words: REALbasic write to file
and then REALbasic read from file

Wink

If you used VB I could've sent you my old one Razz
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Real Basic, Visual Basic, they are pretty weak languages... use Java, i am studying that at uni and it sooo much more powerful than basic's eithe Java or C
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
C++ pwnz0rz j00r java n00bz0r~!`11
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have looked it up in the language reference (help, basically), and it has an example, but im not sure if that's exactly what i need to do

whatever guys, being a game, i have to do lots of visual stuff, so REALbasic seemed like a good idea

plus i dont know java, c++, etc. Razz
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah 12, I highly doubt they are going to start teaching you about pointers, data types, OO etc.. Basic would be a good language to start from.. its... basic. We used Turbo Pascal back in yr 11 school, it served it purpose. Its obviously a bit useless now Razz
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in year 11 now and were doing pascal for our major assesments, its very homosexual. Its ok though, i can still manipulate it into something car related.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

TRD_Supra wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 12:37

Real Basic, Visual Basic, they are pretty weak languages... use Java, i am studying that at uni and it sooo much more powerful than basic's eithe Java or C

Java is a fat slow pig and it generates bloated code and keeps the programmer blissfully ignorant of the true power of the hardware or the operating system. If you want to do pretty stuff with graphics and other non-powerhouse or speed-efficient stuff, then sure, Java is your man.

If you want tight fast and efficient code, then forget Java. Go for C in this case. If you want the ultimate in performance, tight code and power, then go for Assembler. If you want to write efficient code for device drivers or real-time interrupt driven executives then you use C or Assembler.

Java is the fully automatic, all-wheel drive, ABS, active suspension, 4cylinder peoplemover of the programming world. Yes, it will get you around in comfort without taxing your skills and if something goes wrong there's a lot of automation and other nicities to keep you sweet and safe.

It will do most of what you want in its leisurely and secure method, but don't kid yourself that Java is going to be able to successfully lock horns with some tight C or Assembler code for sheer performance and power.

As far as VB goes. It's on par for Java for girlyness, but I would think that complied VB code would be faster and tighter than an equivalent Java code. Hmmm.... I might have to check that out and do a few small programs to see what the executable size is.

seeyuzz
river
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:28

As far as VB goes. It's on par for Java for girlyness

well, ill accept that it is pretty easy Razz just drag objects (buttons, textboxes etc) into your window and add some code for an action (clicking it etc) Surprised
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been coding in VB lately,

but in the text editor its a headfuck.

i hate programming, i hate I.T.

and im starting Cert IV in I.T. (Tech support) next semester, i do not know why.

I seriously cant think of a career (within reach) that will actually be fun.

i mean, id love to be a driver or something, but it aint gonna happen.

what the hell does this have to do with code? i dunno, but i had to say it.

we used pascal TUBO (they misspelt turbo) in year 11 programming.

Eldar.O.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Thu, 16 June 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 17:28

Hi,

TRD_Supra wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 12:37

Java is a fat slow pig and it generates bloated code and keeps the programmer blissfully ignorant of the true power of the hardware or the operating system. If you want to do pretty stuff with graphics and other non-powerhouse or speed-efficient stuff, then sure, Java is your man.

If you want tight fast and efficient code, then forget Java. Go for C in this case. If you want the ultimate in performance, tight code and power, then go for Assembler. If you want to write efficient code for device drivers or real-time interrupt driven executives then you use C or Assembler.

Java is the fully automatic, all-wheel drive, ABS, active suspension, 4cylinder peoplemover of the programming world. Yes, it will get you around in comfort without taxing your skills and if something goes wrong there's a lot of automation and other nicities to keep you sweet and safe.

It will do most of what you want in its leisurely and secure method, but don't kid yourself that Java is going to be able to successfully lock horns with some tight C or Assembler code for sheer performance and power.

As far as VB goes. It's on par for Java for girlyness, but I would think that complied VB code would be faster and tighter than an equivalent Java code. Hmmm.... I might have to check that out and do a few small programs to see what the executable size is.

seeyuzz
river

amen to that Razz

as for vb vs java compild sizes dont forget to factor that fat JRE and ur VB dll's Wink

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Fri, 17 June 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 21:39

and ur VB dll's Wink

Only if you're using old-skool VB6 or older, and why would you when VB.NET is approximately one trillion times better in every respect? Having said that, it's a relatively small step from VB.NET to C# which is better again. Smile

(Yes I'm a C# programmer).
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Fri, 17 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit OT but oh well...

currently helping a friend who has built his own efi computer hardware and emebedded software, helping write the pc end of the software and doing some windows gui code for him. we are using the wxwidgets cross-platform, LGPL c++ gui libraries. kicks arse over MFC, its free, able to write and sell whatever you make with it, and the entire library, ide and everything is 22mb

entrie package
http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

info on the wxwidgets
http://www.wxwidgets.org/

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 06:10]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Fri, 17 June 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your right on the money for wxwidgets
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Fri, 17 June 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river -> I didn't know you were such an old school coder type Razz Assembler is considered, like, evil these days - even in the case of developing device drivers and the like. I love to get dirty and work on optimising inner loops, maximising primary primary cache hits or removing pipeline stalls (oh man when you get it right it's so good, when you get it wrong it's so bad Very Happy )

Anyway, real coders don't exist anymore, only software engineers (or pussies as I call 'em)
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Fri, 17 June 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 23:25

river -> I didn't know you were such an old school coder type Razz Assembler is considered, like, evil these days - even in the case of developing device drivers and the like. I love to get dirty and work on optimising inner loops, maximising primary primary cache hits or removing pipeline stalls (oh man when you get it right it's so good, when you get it wrong it's so bad Very Happy )

Anyway, real coders don't exist anymore, only software engineers (or pussies as I call 'em)

fair enough, youve just called yourself a pussy.

i think you mean no one LEARNS how to code "properly" anymore.

bah, computers, Information systems, anything I.T., its all bullshit,

give me a set of tools and a 74 Celi, and im happy like a pig in shit.

Eldar.O.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Sat, 18 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I don't do software engineering, I was studying Applied Mathematics as a major in a Mathematical and Computer Sciences degree Razz I only ever did programming/'coding' as a hobby in my spare time and when it happened to co-incide with what I was studying.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Sat, 18 June 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man, ur deffinetly spending to much time on the program itself. the extra work in the end isnt really worth it. cause no matter how good ur program is ur gotta have documentation that matches it.

more than half the marks come from the documenting, and if u got good documentin than its a sure pass pretty much.
make sure u got plenty internal and external. line by line. everything. u gotta have good psuedocode that supports ur program, make sure u got good visible modules for better marks. in the HSC they love that stuff, jus make sure ur program and documentation has part of every chapter in ur text book.

in my documenting for my major i went though the contents and done heading by heading. it didnt really make much sense but it covered it. teachers love that shit. ahahah

another good thing to have in documents are IPO charts, desk checkking, assumed and actual outcomes, theres more but i cant think of it atm.

jus anything u can think of stick it in. make ur documents good. dun worry to much bout ur program, jus make it work.
one thing that makes it look like uve prepared heaps, is for no reason at all put a complete word for word copy of ur program into ur documentation Razz. it works. really it does Smile

gl man,
jason
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Sat, 18 June 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah jason, ive already done all the IPO, pseudocode, prelim screen designs and all that crap, and am working on a user manual, diary, etc. we only really have to make a prototype, so that's what im doing, cos it would take way too long to do the whole thing. also, this file stuff is essntial for the 'working' bit, so i can have profiles and saved games etc

Razz
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Sat, 18 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

RWDboy wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 01:25

Yep, I'm an old Assembler programmer. Before that I was a hardware (chip level) technician and then in the mid-late 70's the microprocessor revolution kicked off and I was in heaven.

So, I started collecting and programming these little beasts, and then designed hardware for them and all that jazz. My Assembler exploits cover 8080/8085/Z80, 6502, 6800, 6809, SC/MP, 8088/86, 80186, 80286, 9900, 1802, 2650 and 68000 processors. I do a fair bit of microcontroller Assembly programming with the MicroChip and the Atmel AVR range of chips. In the bigger world I used to program the Data General Nova minicomputers and a fair bit of IBM S/360-S/370 mainframe Assembler.

I then did a lot of C programming on IBM Series/1 with built in 68000 comms cards. Most of my Assembler and C code was for realtime comms, operating systems and VTAM/CICS interfacing.

You're dead right about "real" coders don't exist anymore. They don't and it beats me that Universities teach simplistic languages like Java and it's ilk when they should be teaching them harder, more serious stuff like C, C++ and Assembler. Any good C++ programmer could pick up Java in a few days, however I doubt the reverse could be said.

In my day the hardware was much more expensive than the programmers time, so it was important to create tight and fast code 'cos another 8K of RAM would cost too much! Nowadays it's the opposite and it is cheaper to add more RAM or another HDD or processor to make up for the shortfalls of poor/bloated code.

The only reason that Assembler is regarded as evil is 'cos the vast majority of programmers can't do it - nor can their mentors and teachers. But for me, for what I do, it's the only language - and if anything it's taught me to count and do arithmetic in binary, octal and hex! Smile

Enough of my old-man "I remember the days...." rant. Razz

seeyuzz
river
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Mon, 20 June 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 15:19

gearb0x wrote on Thu, 16 June 2005 21:39

and ur VB dll's Wink

Only if you're using old-skool VB6 or older, and why would you when VB.NET is approximately one trillion times better in every respect? Having said that, it's a relatively small step from VB.NET to C# which is better again. Smile

(Yes I'm a C# programmer).

then factor in the chunky .NET framework Wink

I dont really think of vb.net as anything, its just a dumbed down version on c# for people who cant let go of VB Wink better off learning C# Very Happy
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: anyone here use REALbasic? Mon, 20 June 2005 20:10 Go to previous message
river
your right and this is the main reason i dindt go down the it path after experiencing what pre dip teaches you for tech support
as far as i was concerned i should of been learning basic programming skills registry editing etc
these days it's garbage like connection types etc
i passed 1 module by desigining and setting up the colleges network
funny thing is i had people under me that had worked fornsa sigs & comms , industrial programmers and business owners who had been offered millions for their i.t software business
plain suxors these days
and i can blame most of it on http://www.grc.com for teh view that it suxors when he writes such tight efficent progs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pervert the movie
Next Topic:Latest Zoom Ra23
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:42:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067720413208008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.